Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Special Edition: A Very Nice Car
By Dale

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my 2005 Grand Caravan Special Edition. It is very comfortable on long trips and local short trips. We've purchased the full mechanical system maintenance and haven't used it at all even with four plus years of service. The things that I like about it are the stow-and- go since I filled the car several times with 4x8 sheets of plywood, and I didn't have to remove any seats; just stow them. The air conditioning, power, and quiet running are tops. The car came with manual cabin temp control which i don't like. I am still fond of the Grand Caravan but ready to sell after 46000 miles.

Favorite Features

Stow and go, air conditioning, excellent power, reliable operation, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I suppose that the Stow-and-Go feature eliminates all wheel drive space but that would be a plus.

Love my van
By vallie_girl

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This van drives much like a car. It has a fluidity in movement with an excellent turn radius. Problems have all been minor. We had a plastic piece come off one of the windows, had to replace brakes both front and back. But overall an amazing deal.

Favorite Features

I love the ergonomics of the cabin. It is easy to change the radio, cupholders are easily accessable, plus all the secret compartments!! The stow and go seating is the best thing ever. I'm not the strongest person ever and it is nice just putting seats up and down rather than taking anything out.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the windows for the kids went down. I also wish the compartment under my cup holder opened. In between the two front seats is awkward. I bought a console but because of the plastic it does not sit level. We too have had problems with the brakes going before their time.

Favorite traveler
By Favorite TRAVELER

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I was one of those girls that didn't want to drive anything but a truck. And when I started having kiddies and the gas prices sky rocketed I decided I had to break my pride and drive a van. Well, I will be completely honest here. My kids love it and the ride is relaxing. The space is nice and feels a lot safer. And when I purchased this van I made sure I had rear air. This is a must! It has always started, gets around great in the snow. It's always warm in the winter and cool in the summer with the rear air vents. The thing that I hate about it is that the gas mileage could be better. But I tend to drive a lot in the city. It's still a lot better than a truck or SUV.

Favorite Features

Rear air, quad seating

unsatisfied
By unsatisfied

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was happy with this van for the first year and after the 3rd year it seemed every thing went wrong .The air bag sensor went on twice after repair, abs sensor went on, my rear window shatter on its own, my automatic doors had to be fixed, front both tie rods loose had to replace, steering/suspension went bad had to replace lots of money went into to this vehicle after the 3rd year I don't even really drive this vehicle that much as you can see not so many miles. I had to take it back in after one week of driving because my engine sensor failed go figure! NOT HAPPY AT ALL. Had to fork out more money.

Favorite Features

I love the color linen gold, stow n go, seats, nice sounding radio, easy to move stuff in adjustable mirrors for the car wash, was able to see more of the road.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle should be better inspected,under the hood performance should be better and a better explanation on things

OK, but Issues
By nfonnesb

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We didn't have any problems with this van for the first 45K miles, but then the transmission seized up and had to be replaced (70K mile warranty covered all but $100, but was gone for a week with no backup which was tough). Some of the electrical features work intermittently, windows stopped working, back lift gate latch doesn't work (have to use key to open each time), engine light is on and off. Even so, it gets good gas mileage and is comfortable and safe to ride in. The DVD is a life saver with 4 young kids and long trips. The stow and go seats are great and we have used this many times, all seats lie flat so it is a like a covered long bed truck if needed.

Favorite Features

Comfort, stow and go, DVD

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is not good, only had in shop once though through $65K miles, so not terrible. Dodge needs to fix their electrical system to keep things working -- not sure why some components intermittently work.