2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Good van for the money
By N8ECH on 11/28/06 17:28 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this '05 Linen Gold Pearl SXT to replace my wife's aging '97 Grand Caravan. It was still running strong at 133k, but since we use her van for family trips it was time. Kudos to DC on the Stow and Go. Our '05 was a factory exec car and came with 13k on it. Pretty well loaded except for sunroof and leather which we did not want. Love the power of the 3.8 motor, but the '97's 3.3 gave us 25 vs.22 mpg hwy. Love the power rear door, but the power side doors seem like overkill. Also, '05 was last year for 7/70 power train warranty which is a good thing and influenced the purchase. Pretty darned good for the price. $19k tax and title out the door.

Stay Away
By Disgruntled on 11/25/06 09:27 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The worst vehicle I have ever owned. Been to the Dodge service department 18 times in the past 18 months. 40,000 miles and on 4th set of front brake rotors. Dealer cannot figure our why brakes wear out so quickly and told us that the brake parts are made softer so they don't squeal. Whatever! Have motorized side and rear doors. All motors have been replaced at least once. I purchased the largest extended warranty and already used it 3 times in 4000 miles. Can't wait to get rid of this one and will never purchase another Chrysler product again. I was hoping the merger with Mercedes would increase quality, but that's not the case. Dodge has great looking cars, but can't overcome poor build quality.

Lemon Law
By family of five on 09/26/06 15:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Dodge Grand Caravan in 11/04. We loved all of the features, especially the 6 disc DVD and stow n go. After the first year of ownership, we have had nothing but problems! Chrysler is purchasing our van back because of the lemon laws. We had so many things replaced (tie rods, sway bars, seats(cable broke), leak in the AC and AC replaced due to the recall. We are now looking at Sienna. It may cost us more but at least I won't spend a lot of time at the service center.

Solid and useful
By Redvan on 08/04/06 16:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove it for one year. Drove it in high heat. Good A/C. It can haul a lot of material with ease. It is a heavy duty vehicle. I always see the Toyota Sienna riding very low in back with a few back seat passengers. I do not think Honda people ever do work with their vans. I just do not see the point of a van if you can't haul stuff. The gas mileage is fair. 19/20 all around 23 on the freeway with A/C and going 70 plus. Good car so far

Grand Caravan's Credit
By Mark on 07/16/06 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Driving the Grand Caravan is great, but the traction of the minivan is not that good. Owning is great. The stow n go seating is very helpful. We moved 3 times and the stow n go seating helped a lot. Also, when we take trips we have a lot of space to accomodate a lot of our things. We even have left over space! The 2nd and 3rd row seats aren't that comfortable for adults, but if children are stitting they shouldn't complain.

Electrical Problems
By C. Davison on 07/08/06 17:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the SXT when it was a year old (with 13,000 mi.), it was joy at first. A few weeks ago the instrument cluster began to flicker (warning chime, ABS and sealtbelt lights briefly illuminate, and the flickering begins). I was told it was normal, and since then the headlights have begun to flicker. The van is in the shop for the 3rd time. The dealership has it until they are able to duplicate the problem, and hopefully fix the problem.

Sweet ride for family
By donanobis on 06/11/06 22:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd van and 1st Grand Caravan. What a wonderful ride, great value for all the extras and a great warranty too. I wish I would have known about this line of minivans a long time ago!

Driving on up
By Christine on 06/02/06 07:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I think this van is a great find. It handles great, has a nice design and is very comfortable. The stow and go seating is an awsome addition, it was always difficult getting the seats out of my old van. I get decient gas milage concidering it's a van. The only complaints I have about the van are that after only 6 months a couple of the seat side panels fell apart (screws fell out) but the dealer promptly fixed them at no charge of course. There was also a recall on the van (something to do with the heat/AC system), but that was also quickly fixed. I think if you want a nice van at a decent price, then this van is a good choice.

Great vehicle
By Carla Garrison on 05/21/06 14:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been wonderful this past year. The stow and go seating is almost miraculous. I don't know how we ever lived without it. It makes this van extemely versitile changing quickly and easily from a people carrier to a cargo transport. The navigation system and audio, video system have been entertaining to say the least. I think I always want to own one.

My Grand Caravan - What fun!
By Grand Caravan on 04/18/06 01:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love being able to get in, turn the key, & go! If I do run into any problems, a phone call to the dealer takes care of it. If I have a problem on tne road, a call for Chysler Roadside Assistance gets me help in a very short time. And repairs take very little time at all. It does make the drive into Seattle very easy, and one I would not even contemplate without my Grand Caravan.