Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Poor Quality From Dodge
By Todd

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

There's a reason why GM and Chrysler are in economic trouble. My 2005 Grand Caravan sums it up. 1. Tie rods failed at 31000 miles, not covered by warranty, $350 cost. 2. Tie rods failed again at 68000 miles, $350 cost. 3. At 55000 miles fluid started leaking into rack and pinion boots. Caused engine (transmission?) to sound aweful. Replaced rack and pinion parts. $950 cost. 4. At 43,000 heating coil fried and had to be replaced. $250 cost. 5. Car has been recalled/inspected/fixed 4 or 5 times. 6. Dealer has 15K, 30K, 45K, and 60K mileage service plans, priced at 225, 400, 550, 700. Who pays that kind of money for routine service? A Joke compared to my past Toyota or Honda!

Favorite Features

Sto and Go Seating.

Suggested Improvements

Where do they start? So many issues. Reduce service costs on routine maintanance. Redesign tie rods, electrical system, rack and pinion, and all the other known failures that crop up in 75% of their cars.

Fleet manager says no more
By Brian

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Managing a fleet of 500 vehicles and have about 100 Grand Caravans. Good practical vehicles but mechanical nightmares. Replaced 10 rack and pinion units in the last 2 years and many, many tie rods. Electrical issues are common as well. Primarily in the column and the multi-function switches. Beware, the new models (2008 or newer) use a new key system that will set you back over $100 to replace.

Favorite Features

Stow-and-go seating.

Suggested Improvements

Honor longer warranty or reimburse for known flaws such as rack and pinion, tie rods, and electrical failures.

2005 DGC SXT
By Terri S.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We now have close to 70,000 miles on our SXT. We have had some small eletrical problems (always on the passenger side) like the passenger side window not working, but it goes away. The sliding doors tend to pop off the track if they are opened too fast. (we have only seen this happen twice.)Overall we get around 18 MPG in town and about 25MPG highway. We have taken many trips in our SXT without any mishaps. The waterpump has been changed. But that was the only part that has had to be replaced. We have a had a check engine light on for several months now, it doesn't interfere with performance, so we've ignored it until we can afford to take it in. It's a great family vehicle.

Favorite Features

Back seats that stow away and actually recline nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Sliding door rails need bump stops so they don't jump the track. Rear suspsion is smooth on highway, but rough going up driveway, or speedbump in turn. External fuel filter that can be changed periodically. windows that can be opened on the sliding doors.

unreliable
By jeff sanders

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

both front brakes went at 21000 miles. both tie rods replaced once under warrenty . at 22000 miles went again. replaced with after- market ones.paid out of pocket as I did not want to keep putting junk back on. transmission seal leaked at 26000 miles. dealer asked if i wanted to replace transmission oil and filter while seal was replaced under warrenty. 150.00 bucks out of pocket and I was back on road. (oil and filter) check engine light on at 28000 miles. ekg valve. no warrenty. 220 bucks later back on the road. still have two years left payments to dodge. have not spent a nickle in repairs to my 1999 toyota 4 runner during the same period. dodge will not get another nickle out of me.

Favorite Features

dvd saved sanity driving with 4 kids, lots of rear luggage room.

Suggested Improvements

hire a toyota engineer

Grand Caravan
By LAKEG41

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no real problems with this van. I had rack and pinion changed when I first got it, still under warranty, so there was $0 cost. Other than having to replace egr at about 45,000, which seems pretty common I have not had any other expenses out of the normal maintenance. Love the power options on my van and will still continue to buy Caravans into the future! As a matter of fact this is my 4th, 93, 95, 97 all sold with 160,000 miles plus .

Favorite Features

Power options and stow and go.

Suggested Improvements

They already made them in next generation.