2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Can't ask much more
By Minnesota bound on 07/11/07 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a lease return with 22,000 miles on it. It drives and looks like a new vehicle. I had some concerns about gas mileage, but I get about 18 in town and almost 25 on the highway and that's with the 3.8L. It has plenty of power for almost every situation. The handling has been very good on both dry and wet roads. I haven't driven it in the snow yet. The interior, gauges, and controls seem well thought out. The Stow-n-Go seating is miles above my old Aerostar's with it's 80 lb seats. This has the premium sound system and it's as good as my home stereo. I researched this vehicle before buying it and it has had no problems. I'm quite impressed so far.

Very Satisfied
By James Joy on 06/01/07 20:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the van about 2 years. Bought it because of the Stow and Go and large rebate. Was much better value, feature for feature, than any of the imports. Have been very happy with the vehicle. It has only been to the dealership twice in 2 years. Once was for 2 minor recalls and the other was to replace the power liftgate motor. We love the Stow and Go, the power, quiet and comfort. The power doors and liftgate were a godsend to my wife when she was pregnant and carrying around a toddler. My only complaints are minor and include excessive brake dust and inconvenient parking brake release. Gas mileage is fair around town (17-18) and decent on the highway (24-25).

Steve's Caravan.
By steve weir on 05/15/07 12:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The interior trim in the Grand Caravan is cheap, cheap, cheap. Had the vehicle for 2 years and all the plastic parts for the back seats have cracked off. One of the cup holders is also broken. The plastic does not hold up. The rest of the vehicle is great but this trim destroys the vehicle and will keep me from buying a new one.

Don't waste your money on a Dodge
By jonlynn on 02/25/07 16:07 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research prior to buying my minivan. Somehow this thing came up good. I shoud've trusted my instinct and walked away from the dealer. No wonder Chrysler is going under. Like everyone else: 16k- new brakes and again at 31k! I finally did not go to a dealer and found a great mechanic who said Dodge is notorious for it. Chrysler does not stand behind its product. It has been in for TSBs about 5 times. No good when we tote kids. I sunk a lot of money into this thing and I wish it would sink into mud and never be seen again. The only good thing: sto and go is great, it is pretty comfortable, gas mileage not too bad. If I weren't so much into debt in it, I would trade it in!

Ugh!
By bubbaroo on 01/25/07 10:08 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vechile just under two years ago. The tranny has never felt right, but they insist it is normal. Is it normal to roll back on a hill, I don't think so! As of today, I have had to replace brakes, bearings and steering column. That is the one that really gets me. It's an obvious factory defect, the seal went, and because I'm 5000 over warranty mileage on a 2 year old car, Chrysler/Dodge will not even help out with the repair a little. As much as I love the stow and go and the ride, I will not buy another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product. They do not stand by their product nor do they help their customers. Spend your money somewhere else, I know we will!

Electrical problems
By rosenjohn on 01/23/07 08:12 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical problems has caused this car to be in the dealers garage 10 or 12 times since purchase. Most common is right rear wheel ABS speed sensor which has been replaced 3 times. Several other 'check engine' have resulted in computer program upgrades. We like the car but do not feel it is reliable.

My Grand Caravan is crappy
By mchivers on 01/18/07 17:12 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Many, many, many little problems. Automatic doors not working, burnt out taillight, automatic doorlocks not working, stuck headrest, brakes had to be replaced at 17,000 miles, random noises, AC blower not working, driver side electric window not working. We had a '96 before, drove the wheels off of it and had no problems. Someone at the factory must have been drunk when this lemon rolled out the door.

Nice features, but engine and tranny bad
By Brian on 01/10/07 16:34 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The visible parts of the car are great. The body is good, the interior fit and finish is good, the "Stow 'n Go" is great, the engine is plenty powerful. I like the car for its features. Mechanically, I am extremely disappointed. There is a constant rubbing sound coming out of the front- left upper strut mount over even little bumps, the engine uses about 3.5 quarts of oil between oil changes (3000 miles), the transmission clunks (and the car jumps) when down-shifting when you take your foot off the gas. I have reported these issues numerous times, but the "factory rep" keeps telling me that they are within design specs and won't fix it. Give me a break! No more Dodges for me!

Not so sure yet
By not sure yet on 12/21/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have two sets of twins and the stow and go and power doors have been wonderful for us. However it is a necessity in our lives for reliability. Recently the van has been making noises and we decided to use our $3,000 extendend warranty and found that it has a $100.00 deductible each time you use it. It would have been nice to know that beforehand, and with all the noices it is making I am a little worried that the steering is going out. My friend has a Kia Sedona and loves it and it has lasted a long time with no repair needed, probably a better fit than the Dodge. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for rings true here.

Got lucky I guess - so far
By Trevorvw on 12/07/06 13:14 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one new after owning an '01 Honda Odyssey that demolished 3 transmissions in 2 years. It is every bit as quick as the Honda was, gets decent mileage, hasn't broken down ever, the seats are more comfortable, and the stow and go is a marvel. We're pushing about 16000 miles on it now and if it's like the rest of the complaints out there - then we'll see - but it does have a 7/70 warranty and Honda is certainly no better. Honda power doors would not open quick if power doors not functioning - or ever. Dodge completely worked around this issue.