2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great Value
By Keith on 07/28/10 06:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great van. There are minor mechanical issues with this model. If you can work on your own car and get one of these used you can save a ton of money. Honda and Toyota are twice a as much used. Transmissions are solid as long as you use Dodge approved fluid only (ATF +4) and nothing else. A Dodge transmission is $1,700 and a Toyota is $4,700 to replace.

Love it!
By lg on 06/22/10 09:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new with 16 miles. Now has 84,000. Love it! Stow n go is the best. Lots of room, rides smooth, and very comfortable. Only money we have put into it is for a faulty blinker switch. No other problems. Gets average of 20 mpg (which isn't bad for a van). Auto doors-great when hands are full-just a push of a button. Family is grown, so we are now selling it. Really hate to see it go, but going to something smaller for better gas mileage.

Air Conditioning?
By Jeff Hicks on 06/21/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 8th Chrysler/Dodge vehicle and they seem to get worse as the competition gets better. This is the 4th van still driving the 1998 but the 2005 is a joke. Numerous issues and now it is the A/C that Chrysler is famous for. Talked with the dealer in St Charles ILL, rear evaporator is leaking but nothing can be done except cough up 700 to 900 dollars to fix. I expressed my disgust with the a/c units on their vehicles same issue on the 2002 that I had. His response was keeps me busy doesn't it. This is the type of attitude and quality that the Germans didn't know what to do with so they dumped the company and it will fail. No more Chryslers Ford Flex here I come

ShakeRattleandRoll
By grandeheadache on 05/16/10 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Major repairs starting at 5.5 years and 98k miles is not acceptable. AC died. Front tie rod issues. Constant 'rattling' on every bump - service dept. never finds an issue. Serpentine belt never wanted to be a part of the vehicle. I can't believe how quickly it rusted! Have been driving Fords too, and haven't seen that. We had enough.

Great but unreliable
By Roo on 05/14/10 08:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a hunk of junk. Not even 40,000 miles on it and I've had to spend thousands of dollars doing repairs. All the repair shops are crooks to make it worse. So far I've replaced the steering rack (got swindled on that), water pump, rotors, etc. Sad thing is this if my first American car after many reliable Japanese cars. I really wanted to like Dodge, but never again.

A comfy ride
By am on 02/10/10 15:28 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for hauling and traveling. It has performed well for both. The only trouble I have had is a frozen wiper fluid line, an automatic side door that is now manual and some trim that hasn't held up to boys. It's not a sexy ride, but it gets me where I want to go safely and reliably.

my van
By cochlas on 01/21/10 04:14 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van with plans to drive kiddos and cousins around and it has been great! I really love all the driver seat adjustments because I have short legs. I have driven on long vacations with my parents and my two kids adn everyone seemed comfortable enough. I LOVE the Fold-and-Go seats. that is the main reason I bought this van. They have come in handy when I don't have a truck and It has proven great for camping. Just throw in a full size blowup mattress and throw mosquito netting over the open trunk and "presto!". It has had problems with the Rack and Pinion and struts. I hhad them replaced under warranty after owning the vehicle for 2 years.

Shameful
By Ed A on 01/07/10 14:07 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this minivan with only 3000 miles from a dealer. I heard a little voice inside my saying that we should run away. However, my wife liked the car so we made the purchase. Big mistake. The engine and transmission have been good for 80K miles but if you saw the list of other repairs you would be surprised. I am done with Dodge. I have owned many Chrysler products over the years but the quality has declined so much it is no wonder they are going out of business. It is possible that I just have one of the few lemons. However, when I look at the internet it becomes obvious that there are way too many disappointed customers.

POOR QUALITY
By CJ on 12/29/09 13:49 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first Dodge we've owned and it will definitely be the last! One day it just started leaking water in the passenger floor, sometimes the rear door will unlock, sometimes it wont, engine light came on at 60,000 miles, you have to tap the rear lights to get them to work, and now the air bag sensor light comes on and off at random. Biggest junk ever made. DONT BUY DODGE IF YOU WANT MORE THAN 50K MILES OUT OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

A Keeper...For Now
By Space Junkie on 12/17/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I needed another vehicle I immediately looked for a good deal on a Caravan; I drive a 2003 model at work every day. For a large vehicle I like the way it handles similar to a smaller car and the smooth ride. I only drive seven miles round trip to work each day and I take very few long trips; so fuel economy wasn't a big concern. When I DO make an occasional extended trip from home I'm glad to have the roominess and the AM/FM, cassette/CD combo--more options for entertainment. Also like it because it IS a nice looking vehicle. I feel good driving it. Gas mileage on an extended trip for me has been about 23 mpg. Around town, mpg is about 8-10 (estimated).