Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great Family Van, or "Travelwagon".
By s_matthews05

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE used in 2011 with 90,000 miles on the odometer for our trip to Nauvoo. That van was the best vehicle for driving to Nauvoo! We were able to fit all of our luggage, etc. in the van with absolutely no problem (one seat removed). In 2012, we drove to Yellowstone National Park and the van performed very well. Some reviewers say that the 3.3L V6 is somewhat underpowered, but it performed well for us. We have had some issues, though. We did have to replace the brakes, and the power steering reservoir. Overall, we enjoyed the van until it was totaled in an accident. It's since been replaced with an 07 T&C LX Stow n Go that is even better! Highly recommended

Favorite Features

Exceptional comfort, seats easily removed, rear air conditioning and heat, fast climate control system, good sound system, roof rack, manual doors that are EASY to operate.

Suggested Improvements

The rack-and-pinion power steering system could be redesigned and made more durable. Better differentiation of the power window and lock switches on the front doors is needed. Brakes could last longer (although stopping power is still good).

DO NOT BUY PIECE OF JUNK
By flanza

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

From day one this van is nothing but junk junk junk ..Do not buy...At 55,000 miles water pump transmission went..Nothing but junk

Loved my caravan
By kmfresh

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my caravan. It had everything I needed and wanted in a vehicle. It had surprisingly good gas mileage (I could make a 6 hour trip and still have over a 1/4 a tank to spare) Pros: Great seating, comfortable, smooth ride, durable, easy to drive, easy to clean and maintain both cleanliness wise and mechanically . Cons: The only bad things I have to say is I went through brakes like no other and had to get new axles at 100K miles. We also had to get a new radiator at 100K, as the one we had developed a leak and the van started to overheat.

Favorite Features

Double sliding doors, comfortable seats, overall reliability.

2005 Grand Caravan SE
By Larry

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 24,000 mi. on it for daughter and 3 boys after divorce. Mostly highway miles. Transmission only problem, but was repaired under warranty. Now I'm selling it with 92,600 mi. and expect to get $7,000 for it. Great road trip vehicle. Great car for a family on the go. This was my fourth Caravan/Voyager and all have been great.

Favorite Features

Quad seating. Electric Driver's seat. Power locks,mirrors, windows. Good sound system AM/FM/CD with speakers all around. Privacy Glass keeps it cooler; also rear A/C and heat.

Suggested Improvements

There seems to have been a transmission problem with the caravans as I have known others to have the same problem

Never Again!!!
By sarahnichole975

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this van used in 2005 as a demo. The first year was fine, downhill quickly from there. AC compressor is out and before it went out we replaced the switch 3 times, both tail light covers fell off, power locks and windows work when they want to, pieces on inside break easily, not enough power to push this tank. Passenger sliding door hard to open. Back liftgate is testy. Mine doesn't have stow and go and moving those seats around and/or out is tough!!! 100 other little issues with it. But all the little things add up to one big piece of junk!!! You could not pay me to own another one. Upgrading to a Sienna!

Favorite Features

I have always loved the look of this van. Front seats are reasonably comfortable. Back seats not so much! Decent gas mileage considering size.

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality all the way around on this car would be great. This van has single handedly driven me away from all Chrysler vehicles.