Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

2005 Grand Caravan SXT best van out there.
By Sharon

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 2nd Caravan. We bought our 1st one in 1994 and drove it for 10 years, before upgrading to our 2005 Grand Caravan. I love my 2005 Grand Caravan. The sleek design and tinted windows give it a sporty look. The stow-in-go feature is great and very easy to use. I like that I can put things out of sight when not stowing the middle seats. Being able to open the sliding doors and//or lift gate with a push of a button is great.
I wish that there was more leg room for people sitting in the third row. In fact the only time we have actually used that bench seat is when we have had a child/children with us that is/are in a car seat/s.
My biggest complaint is the rusting out of the side panels in front of the rear tires. It seems to be a design flaw as most Caravans seem to rust out in the same spot. I hate that the paint is peeling and it is rusting, since it has low milage and is parked in a garage when it isn't being driven I'd think that wouldn't have been an issue.

love my 2005 grand caravan!
By jewelexpert52

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Caravan new in 2004. I had already drive 2 other caravans but this one is by far the best. I started at 2000 miles and now have almost 150,000 miles on it. I haven't had to put any money into this van except regular maintenance (brakes, tires, serpentine belt at 100,000 miles etc.). I have taken it on several road trips to Florida, Georgia, and New York and it is very comfortable. (Even slept overnite in it for camping). Can transport large items and fill it up with camping supplies plus 4 passengers! The mileage was good for a larger vehicle and I am looking for a smaller vehicle only because I don't need a minivan anymore and could use higher gas mileage savings.

Stow and go, Split rear fold down seats, Very comfortable drive. No mechanical issues, Love everything!

Some road noise; can't really hold a conversation with windows open at over 50 mph but that is really not a big deal

Yes, I read the other reviews, but this van won't die!
By paulsnj

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van certified used in Jan of 2008 with 47,000 miles on the clock after my lovely 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited was wrecked parked in front of my house.
So I gained Stow N' Go and Sirius radio in the dash but lost my leather seats and pimped out factory chrome spoke wheels.
That being said, the trans had to be rebuilt and/or worked on three times the first two years, all under certified warranty and all I had to pay was one $100 copay.
Since then, no issues at all except for a left power sliding door that works off and on, and a front end that badly needs a complete rebuild.
I am on the original timing belt, shocks, and struts and just turned 175,000 miles.

Comfortable power seat, in-dash Sirius, Stow N' Go, and the old school 3.8 V6 is a great motor, hope the new 3.6 V6 now offered has the same longevity!

My wife has a 2009 GC with the same motor but with a six speed tranny. That pushes mileage on the highway up significantly, so that is the only aspect I can think of.

Dime a dozen (used), worth every penny.
By kkenmore63

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

More room than any truck/suv, with handling and mileage of a sedan.

What I like:
Stow n go, lots of storage, roomy comfortable, decent on gas (27mpg hwy, 18.5 combined).
Well thought out interior.
Chrysler seems to have addressed a lot of the previous gen's chronic mechanical issues (transmissions, sway bar bushings, etc), though it seems to have been at the expense of attention to detail.

What I don't like:
Cheap feel compared to my old '97, though better than the 2010 I used on loan.
The pass. side power door stopped working (broken wire, easy fix, see youtube).
The key fob stopped working.
The airbag light is on for some reason, and OMG the rust is an up hill battle.

Stow n go, gas mileage, bullet proof powertrain.

Pay more attention to details, RUSTPROOFING.

my grand caravan
By lopez2

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we bought my wife 2005 grand caravan during a bad financial situation and pay cash for it, had 123000 miles back then and now 189000,
no problem at all, just gas and oil change.
sheap design but great on traveling, lots of room for storage.
people we had a saturn relay fully loaded and 0 mile when we bought it, that is the worst car we ever had. let the bank have it after warranty expire at 48000 miles and the heck with the credit score, that's how desperate i was. i'll buy another grand caravan for the right price again.