2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
love my 2005 grand caravan!
By jewelexpert52 on 07/10/13 10:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Caravan new in 2004. I had already drive 2 other caravans but this one is by far the best. I started at 2000 miles and now have almost 150,000 miles on it. I haven't had to put any money into this van except regular maintenance (brakes, tires, serpentine belt at 100,000 miles etc.). I have taken it on several road trips to Florida, Georgia, and New York and it is very comfortable. (Even slept overnite in it for camping). Can transport large items and fill it up with camping supplies plus 4 passengers! The mileage was good for a larger vehicle and I am looking for a smaller vehicle only because I don't need a minivan anymore and could use higher gas mileage savings.

Yes, I read the other reviews, but this van won't die!
By paulsnj on 02/27/12 12:22 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van certified used in Jan of 2008 with 47,000 miles on the clock after my lovely 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited was wrecked parked in front of my house. So I gained Stow N' Go and Sirius radio in the dash but lost my leather seats and pimped out factory chrome spoke wheels. That being said, the trans had to be rebuilt and/or worked on three times the first two years, all under certified warranty and all I had to pay was one $100 copay. Since then, no issues at all except for a left power sliding door that works off and on, and a front end that badly needs a complete rebuild. I am on the original timing belt, shocks, and struts and just turned 175,000 miles.

Dime a dozen (used), worth every penny.
By kkenmore63 on 02/19/12 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

More room than any truck/suv, with handling and mileage of a sedan. What I like: Stow n go, lots of storage, roomy comfortable, decent on gas (27mpg hwy, 18.5 combined). Well thought out interior. Chrysler seems to have addressed a lot of the previous gen's chronic mechanical issues (transmissions, sway bar bushings, etc), though it seems to have been at the expense of attention to detail. What I don't like: Cheap feel compared to my old '97, though better than the 2010 I used on loan. The pass. side power door stopped working (broken wire, easy fix, see youtube). The key fob stopped working. The airbag light is on for some reason, and OMG the rust is an up hill battle.

my grand caravan
By lopez2 on 07/01/11 17:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we bought my wife 2005 grand caravan during a bad financial situation and pay cash for it, had 123000 miles back then and now 189000, no problem at all, just gas and oil change. sheap design but great on traveling, lots of room for storage. people we had a saturn relay fully loaded and 0 mile when we bought it, that is the worst car we ever had. let the bank have it after warranty expire at 48000 miles and the heck with the credit score, that's how desperate i was. i'll buy another grand caravan for the right price again.

Great Design, Very Poor Quality, This is my last Dodge!
By ita47 on 03/07/11 07:53 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a love hate relationship. My wife and I love the design and layout of this van. We have the SXT 3.8L with every option except leather. Unfortunately ours has been plagued with problems. We purchased the van as a certified used with only 22,000 miles on it. If I had known everything I know now about these vans I would have kept looking. After reading other reports and through my own experience with this vehicle the 2005 seems to be one of the worst. Avoid this year if possible. This is my last Dodge, never again.

Unreliable piece of Junk
By Unreliable - runaway on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Grand Caravan SXT with 19K and 11 months old. Paid extra for extended warranty, got my money's worth after replacing the Door motors SEVEN TIMES! Now post warranty, driver's side only opens auto (no manual door motor clutch stuck), passenger side is only manual, door motor shot. Radiator rusted at 80K, now just dies with no notice, no error code while on HWY at 50+ miles an hour. Hey Chrysler, try a curve at 55 with no power steering %^&*! Dealers and my mechanic can't find anything, no error codes. AC controls on dash, lights flicker on/off, poor solder in unit, had to replace. NOT SAFE, get a HONDA 2011 Odyssey like I did. Still have this Caravan for I can't sell it, unsafe!

Skip the Dodge
By oh77 on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my SXT used, but only 1 owner. Liked it at first as cars didn't provide enough room for kids. Then everything went bad: motors on auto sliding side doors broke, not under warranty, dealers want $1000 or more to fix. They're still broken. Power locks didn't work right, motor defects, etc. and it had clean carfax. Always owned Honda/Toyota. Now I know why. Save your $ for something with a much better resale value. It's worth less that what I owe so I can't even sell it.

Great Value
By Keith on 07/28/10 06:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great van. There are minor mechanical issues with this model. If you can work on your own car and get one of these used you can save a ton of money. Honda and Toyota are twice a as much used. Transmissions are solid as long as you use Dodge approved fluid only (ATF +4) and nothing else. A Dodge transmission is $1,700 and a Toyota is $4,700 to replace.

Love it!
By lg on 06/22/10 09:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new with 16 miles. Now has 84,000. Love it! Stow n go is the best. Lots of room, rides smooth, and very comfortable. Only money we have put into it is for a faulty blinker switch. No other problems. Gets average of 20 mpg (which isn't bad for a van). Auto doors-great when hands are full-just a push of a button. Family is grown, so we are now selling it. Really hate to see it go, but going to something smaller for better gas mileage.

Air Conditioning?
By Jeff Hicks on 06/21/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 8th Chrysler/Dodge vehicle and they seem to get worse as the competition gets better. This is the 4th van still driving the 1998 but the 2005 is a joke. Numerous issues and now it is the A/C that Chrysler is famous for. Talked with the dealer in St Charles ILL, rear evaporator is leaking but nothing can be done except cough up 700 to 900 dollars to fix. I expressed my disgust with the a/c units on their vehicles same issue on the 2002 that I had. His response was keeps me busy doesn't it. This is the type of attitude and quality that the Germans didn't know what to do with so they dumped the company and it will fail. No more Chryslers Ford Flex here I come