2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
DO NOT BUY PIECE OF JUNK
By flanza on 03/19/13 12:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

From day one this van is nothing but junk junk junk ..Do not buy...At 55,000 miles water pump transmission went..Nothing but junk

Loved my caravan
By kmfresh on 08/22/12 16:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my caravan. It had everything I needed and wanted in a vehicle. It had surprisingly good gas mileage (I could make a 6 hour trip and still have over a 1/4 a tank to spare) Pros: Great seating, comfortable, smooth ride, durable, easy to drive, easy to clean and maintain both cleanliness wise and mechanically . Cons: The only bad things I have to say is I went through brakes like no other and had to get new axles at 100K miles. We also had to get a new radiator at 100K, as the one we had developed a leak and the van started to overheat.

2005 Grand Caravan SE
By Larry on 08/19/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 24,000 mi. on it for daughter and 3 boys after divorce. Mostly highway miles. Transmission only problem, but was repaired under warranty. Now I'm selling it with 92,600 mi. and expect to get $7,000 for it. Great road trip vehicle. Great car for a family on the go. This was my fourth Caravan/Voyager and all have been great.

Never Again!!!
By sarahnichole975 on 12/13/09 20:48 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this van used in 2005 as a demo. The first year was fine, downhill quickly from there. AC compressor is out and before it went out we replaced the switch 3 times, both tail light covers fell off, power locks and windows work when they want to, pieces on inside break easily, not enough power to push this tank. Passenger sliding door hard to open. Back liftgate is testy. Mine doesn't have stow and go and moving those seats around and/or out is tough!!! 100 other little issues with it. But all the little things add up to one big piece of junk!!! You could not pay me to own another one. Upgrading to a Sienna!

Disappointing
By pn9382 on 12/06/09 12:23 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had struts replaced at 65,000. The mechanic has replaced the strut mounts 4 times because whenever the weather turns cold we get a bad clunking sound when we hit a bump. Also problems with the electric windows and locks.

Stay away from this van!
By pbwaters75 on 10/16/09 16:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this van Dec. 2005. It was part of a previous rental fleet and had 29000 miles. We used it has a family vehicle and had it 4 years. It was great until we turned 50K. After that, all down hill. Rack and pinion had to be replaced, electrical problems, tie rod ends, burning oil, and the end-all the transmission started slipping. Went to the nearest dealer and traded. The vechicle was well maintained for the time we owned it. It's too bad that Chrysler can't put some reliability into the country's "best selling van."

Excellence!
By G Claussen on 05/19/09 17:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love this thing! Super value and all the storage I could ask for. The kiddies love it and the wife, well, who cares what she thinks. Nice rig for SURE!

Poor Quality From Dodge
By Todd on 04/29/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

There's a reason why GM and Chrysler are in economic trouble. My 2005 Grand Caravan sums it up. 1. Tie rods failed at 31000 miles, not covered by warranty, $350 cost. 2. Tie rods failed again at 68000 miles, $350 cost. 3. At 55000 miles fluid started leaking into rack and pinion boots. Caused engine (transmission?) to sound aweful. Replaced rack and pinion parts. $950 cost. 4. At 43,000 heating coil fried and had to be replaced. $250 cost. 5. Car has been recalled/inspected/fixed 4 or 5 times. 6. Dealer has 15K, 30K, 45K, and 60K mileage service plans, priced at 225, 400, 550, 700. Who pays that kind of money for routine service? A Joke compared to my past Toyota or Honda!

Fleet manager says no more
By Brian on 04/09/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Managing a fleet of 500 vehicles and have about 100 Grand Caravans. Good practical vehicles but mechanical nightmares. Replaced 10 rack and pinion units in the last 2 years and many, many tie rods. Electrical issues are common as well. Primarily in the column and the multi-function switches. Beware, the new models (2008 or newer) use a new key system that will set you back over $100 to replace.

unreliable
By jeff sanders on 03/16/09 15:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

both front brakes went at 21000 miles. both tie rods replaced once under warrenty . at 22000 miles went again. replaced with after- market ones.paid out of pocket as I did not want to keep putting junk back on. transmission seal leaked at 26000 miles. dealer asked if i wanted to replace transmission oil and filter while seal was replaced under warrenty. 150.00 bucks out of pocket and I was back on road. (oil and filter) check engine light on at 28000 miles. ekg valve. no warrenty. 220 bucks later back on the road. still have two years left payments to dodge. have not spent a nickle in repairs to my 1999 toyota 4 runner during the same period. dodge will not get another nickle out of me.