Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

I will never buy another Dodge vehicle after this.
By Nick Teti

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Review: Absolute Junk & The Lousiest Car I have ever owned

Date: 5-2-2016

I have a Grand Caravan, 2005 with a 3.3 V6 engine and it has been the lousiest, must junk-worthy vehicle I have ever owned since 1986. I would equate the craftsmanship to absolute crap, and it has been a problem-laden car, with mileage currently at 118,983. As a result of several repairs, and loss of time, as well gobs of money I have arrived to a point of complete contempt and disgust for this vehicle. I have also contacted Chrysler whom has not owned up to any of the mechanical defects of the vehicle, only to be ignored. If you want to make friends with a mechanic, get one.

Here is a list of everything I have replaced on this:

Serpentine Belt

Alternator

Starter

Front Tie Rods, all

CV Axles in the front (both)

Water Pump

Valves

Valve Guides

Radiator

Struts, all 4

Rear Bearings on both wheels (this occurred after the brakes overheated on highway 285 in the mountains, and luckily we did not get killed as a result when one seized up, and the other failed). This was a result of a defective ABS computer causing the rear brakes not to disengage. This resulted in the rotors fracturing, and the car becoming too dangerous to drive. As well both sets of brake pads in the rear were fried.

ABS Sensors (3)

1 seat belt clasp, drivers side

Most of the emissions components, excluding the catalytic converter, (think about this issue if you plan to live in most of the lower 48 with a registered vehicle).

5 fuel injectors

ABS computer system (anti lock brakes computer).

Entirely new brakes on an average of 20k to 30k miles several time as the rotor & caliper design is insufficient for the vehicle weight. This includes brake rotors.

Brake Calipers ( both front ) 2 times and 1 each in the rear

Air conditioning compressor

EGR

Gas Cap

Air conditioning components

1 piston & surrounding components in the engine

Windshield wiper arms (both). These locked up together at night while it was raining on the freeway with poor visibility. I was almost killed as a result, as I could not see and went down the side of a steep embankment.

An absolute Grade F for this Car, and I will never buy another Dodge

I am at the point of deciding if the engine will last after the premature repairs, and based on the complete lack of confidence I have with this vehicle. If I have to replace this car prematurely, I will never by another Dodge or Chrysler, ever. I wouldn't allow you to park one in front of my house either. I would not be caught dead in this sCrappily constructed junker either. Aside from the problems listed above the car has developed rust spots indicating a shabby paint job done, as the car has not been scraped/scratched or physically damaged in these areas collecting rust.

Not Even Worth the Gas to Me

Being self employed if I had to deduct the cost of the vehicle, repairs, and all other expenses, I would be facing surpassing the Score and sitting at a stinky desk justifying equipment vs. profit on an ongoing basis. Consider buying a more reputable mechanical vehicle if you wish to avoid this. Not to mention, the cost of having to avoid business growth, and personnel quality of life, as a result of the financial burdens this car has put on myself, and my family has made this vehicle into a hostage taking situation. All the parts I have had to buy, and paying all the mechanics to keep me from being unemployable, and unable to earn income has also brought me to absolute disgust with this Dodge Not-So Grand Caravan as well.

My Summary

The biggest aggravation for me is when this vehicle put my life and my family's life in danger, aside from the ongoing plague of mechanical problems that have basically rebuilt much of the car. This is "incredible," based on the amount of miles I have on this car.

Great Family Van, or "Travelwagon".
By s_matthews05

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE used in 2011 with 90,000 miles on the odometer for our trip to Nauvoo. That van was the best vehicle for driving to Nauvoo! We were able to fit all of our luggage, etc. in the van with absolutely no problem (one seat removed). In 2012, we drove to Yellowstone National Park and the van performed very well. Some reviewers say that the 3.3L V6 is somewhat underpowered, but it performed well for us. We have had some issues, though. We did have to replace the brakes, and the power steering reservoir. Overall, we enjoyed the van until it was totaled in an accident. It's since been replaced with an 07 T&C LX Stow n Go that is even better! Highly recommended

Exceptional comfort, seats easily removed, rear air conditioning and heat, fast climate control system, good sound system, roof rack, manual doors that are EASY to operate.

The rack-and-pinion power steering system could be redesigned and made more durable. Better differentiation of the power window and lock switches on the front doors is needed. Brakes could last longer (although stopping power is still good).

DO NOT BUY PIECE OF JUNK
By flanza

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

From day one this van is nothing but junk junk junk ..Do not buy...At 55,000 miles water pump transmission went..Nothing but junk

Loved my caravan
By kmfresh

I loved my caravan.
It had everything I needed and wanted in a vehicle.
It had surprisingly good gas mileage (I could make a 6 hour trip and still have over a 1/4 a tank to spare)

Pros:
Great seating, comfortable, smooth ride, durable, easy to drive, easy to clean and maintain both cleanliness wise and mechanically .

Cons: The only bad things I have to say is I went through brakes like no other and had to get new axles at 100K miles.
We also had to get a new radiator at 100K, as the one we had developed a leak and the van started to overheat.

Double sliding doors, comfortable seats, overall reliability.

2005 Grand Caravan SE
By Larry

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 24,000 mi. on it for daughter and 3 boys after divorce. Mostly highway miles. Transmission only problem, but was repaired under warranty. Now I'm selling it with 92,600 mi. and expect to get $7,000 for it. Great road trip vehicle. Great car for a family on the go. This was my fourth Caravan/Voyager and all have been great.

Quad seating. Electric Driver's seat. Power locks,mirrors, windows. Good sound system AM/FM/CD with speakers all around. Privacy Glass keeps it cooler; also rear A/C and heat.

There seems to have been a transmission problem with the caravans as I have known others to have the same problem