Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

I will never buy another Dodge vehicle after this.
By Nick Teti

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Review: Absolute Junk & The Lousiest Car I have ever owned

Date: 5-2-2016

I have a Grand Caravan, 2005 with a 3.3 V6 engine and it has been the lousiest, must junk-worthy vehicle I have ever owned since 1986. I would equate the craftsmanship to absolute crap, and it has been a problem-laden car, with mileage currently at 118,983. As a result of several repairs, and loss of time, as well gobs of money I have arrived to a point of complete contempt and disgust for this vehicle. I have also contacted Chrysler whom has not owned up to any of the mechanical defects of the vehicle, only to be ignored. If you want to make friends with a mechanic, get one.

Here is a list of everything I have replaced on this:

Serpentine Belt

Alternator

Starter

Front Tie Rods, all

CV Axles in the front (both)

Water Pump

Valves

Valve Guides

Radiator

Struts, all 4

Rear Bearings on both wheels (this occurred after the brakes overheated on highway 285 in the mountains, and luckily we did not get killed as a result when one seized up, and the other failed). This was a result of a defective ABS computer causing the rear brakes not to disengage. This resulted in the rotors fracturing, and the car becoming too dangerous to drive. As well both sets of brake pads in the rear were fried.

ABS Sensors (3)

1 seat belt clasp, drivers side

Most of the emissions components, excluding the catalytic converter, (think about this issue if you plan to live in most of the lower 48 with a registered vehicle).

5 fuel injectors

ABS computer system (anti lock brakes computer).

Entirely new brakes on an average of 20k to 30k miles several time as the rotor & caliper design is insufficient for the vehicle weight. This includes brake rotors.

Brake Calipers ( both front ) 2 times and 1 each in the rear

Air conditioning compressor

EGR

Gas Cap

Air conditioning components

1 piston & surrounding components in the engine

Windshield wiper arms (both). These locked up together at night while it was raining on the freeway with poor visibility. I was almost killed as a result, as I could not see and went down the side of a steep embankment.

An absolute Grade F for this Car, and I will never buy another Dodge

I am at the point of deciding if the engine will last after the premature repairs, and based on the complete lack of confidence I have with this vehicle. If I have to replace this car prematurely, I will never by another Dodge or Chrysler, ever. I wouldn't allow you to park one in front of my house either. I would not be caught dead in this sCrappily constructed junker either. Aside from the problems listed above the car has developed rust spots indicating a shabby paint job done, as the car has not been scraped/scratched or physically damaged in these areas collecting rust.

Not Even Worth the Gas to Me

Being self employed if I had to deduct the cost of the vehicle, repairs, and all other expenses, I would be facing surpassing the Score and sitting at a stinky desk justifying equipment vs. profit on an ongoing basis. Consider buying a more reputable mechanical vehicle if you wish to avoid this. Not to mention, the cost of having to avoid business growth, and personnel quality of life, as a result of the financial burdens this car has put on myself, and my family has made this vehicle into a hostage taking situation. All the parts I have had to buy, and paying all the mechanics to keep me from being unemployable, and unable to earn income has also brought me to absolute disgust with this Dodge Not-So Grand Caravan as well.

My Summary

The biggest aggravation for me is when this vehicle put my life and my family's life in danger, aside from the ongoing plague of mechanical problems that have basically rebuilt much of the car. This is "incredible," based on the amount of miles I have on this car.

A no hassle & dependable vehicle
By Rick

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan CV 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Grand Caravan. My first was about the same as the second; great. I bought this one used with 80,000 miles and have put on 55,000 trouble free miles. Totally dependable, comfortable, and so utilitarian. I can go from hauling 20 bags of concrete to hauling 6 passengers in about 1 minute. I can put the middle seats in the floor and cart 7' tall basketball players around in comfort! I have never had such a versatile car. A full sheet of sheetrock slides right into the back!

I discovered with this car that the tires are really important. I am running Goodyear Vivas (from Walmart around 75$ each) and they make SUCH a difference. Much quieter, smoother, and good in all types of conditions.

Piece of junk left me stranded twice!!!!!!!!!
By _caravanssuck

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan CV 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Never buy this vehicle it is unreliable and not worth your money... Very frustrating.

2005 Grand Caravan SXT best van out there.
By Sharon

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 2nd Caravan. We bought our 1st one in 1994 and drove it for 10 years, before upgrading to our 2005 Grand Caravan. I love my 2005 Grand Caravan. The sleek design and tinted windows give it a sporty look. The stow-in-go feature is great and very easy to use. I like that I can put things out of sight when not stowing the middle seats. Being able to open the sliding doors and//or lift gate with a push of a button is great.
I wish that there was more leg room for people sitting in the third row. In fact the only time we have actually used that bench seat is when we have had a child/children with us that is/are in a car seat/s.
My biggest complaint is the rusting out of the side panels in front of the rear tires. It seems to be a design flaw as most Caravans seem to rust out in the same spot. I hate that the paint is peeling and it is rusting, since it has low milage and is parked in a garage when it isn't being driven I'd think that wouldn't have been an issue.

Great Family Van, or "Travelwagon".
By s_matthews05

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE used in 2011 with 90,000 miles on the odometer for our trip to Nauvoo. That van was the best vehicle for driving to Nauvoo! We were able to fit all of our luggage, etc. in the van with absolutely no problem (one seat removed). In 2012, we drove to Yellowstone National Park and the van performed very well. Some reviewers say that the 3.3L V6 is somewhat underpowered, but it performed well for us. We have had some issues, though. We did have to replace the brakes, and the power steering reservoir. Overall, we enjoyed the van until it was totaled in an accident. It's since been replaced with an 07 T&C LX Stow n Go that is even better! Highly recommended

Exceptional comfort, seats easily removed, rear air conditioning and heat, fast climate control system, good sound system, roof rack, manual doors that are EASY to operate.

The rack-and-pinion power steering system could be redesigned and made more durable. Better differentiation of the power window and lock switches on the front doors is needed. Brakes could last longer (although stopping power is still good).