Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great Family Van, or "Travelwagon".
By s_matthews05

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE used in 2011 with 90,000 miles on the odometer for our trip to Nauvoo. That van was the best vehicle for driving to Nauvoo! We were able to fit all of our luggage, etc. in the van with absolutely no problem (one seat removed). In 2012, we drove to Yellowstone National Park and the van performed very well. Some reviewers say that the 3.3L V6 is somewhat underpowered, but it performed well for us. We have had some issues, though. We did have to replace the brakes, and the power steering reservoir. Overall, we enjoyed the van until it was totaled in an accident. It's since been replaced with an 07 T&C LX Stow n Go that is even better! Highly recommended

Favorite Features

Exceptional comfort, seats easily removed, rear air conditioning and heat, fast climate control system, good sound system, roof rack, manual doors that are EASY to operate.

Suggested Improvements

The rack-and-pinion power steering system could be redesigned and made more durable. Better differentiation of the power window and lock switches on the front doors is needed. Brakes could last longer (although stopping power is still good).

love my 2005 grand caravan!
By jewelexpert52

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Caravan new in 2004. I had already drive 2 other caravans but this one is by far the best. I started at 2000 miles and now have almost 150,000 miles on it. I haven't had to put any money into this van except regular maintenance (brakes, tires, serpentine belt at 100,000 miles etc.). I have taken it on several road trips to Florida, Georgia, and New York and it is very comfortable. (Even slept overnite in it for camping). Can transport large items and fill it up with camping supplies plus 4 passengers! The mileage was good for a larger vehicle and I am looking for a smaller vehicle only because I don't need a minivan anymore and could use higher gas mileage savings.

Favorite Features

Stow and go, Split rear fold down seats, Very comfortable drive. No mechanical issues, Love everything!

Suggested Improvements

Some road noise; can't really hold a conversation with windows open at over 50 mph but that is really not a big deal

DO NOT BUY PIECE OF JUNK
By flanza

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

From day one this van is nothing but junk junk junk ..Do not buy...At 55,000 miles water pump transmission went..Nothing but junk

Loved my caravan
By kmfresh

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my caravan. It had everything I needed and wanted in a vehicle. It had surprisingly good gas mileage (I could make a 6 hour trip and still have over a 1/4 a tank to spare) Pros: Great seating, comfortable, smooth ride, durable, easy to drive, easy to clean and maintain both cleanliness wise and mechanically . Cons: The only bad things I have to say is I went through brakes like no other and had to get new axles at 100K miles. We also had to get a new radiator at 100K, as the one we had developed a leak and the van started to overheat.

Favorite Features

Double sliding doors, comfortable seats, overall reliability.

Yes, I read the other reviews, but this van won't die!
By paulsnj

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van certified used in Jan of 2008 with 47,000 miles on the clock after my lovely 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited was wrecked parked in front of my house. So I gained Stow N' Go and Sirius radio in the dash but lost my leather seats and pimped out factory chrome spoke wheels. That being said, the trans had to be rebuilt and/or worked on three times the first two years, all under certified warranty and all I had to pay was one $100 copay. Since then, no issues at all except for a left power sliding door that works off and on, and a front end that badly needs a complete rebuild. I am on the original timing belt, shocks, and struts and just turned 175,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Comfortable power seat, in-dash Sirius, Stow N' Go, and the old school 3.8 V6 is a great motor, hope the new 3.6 V6 now offered has the same longevity!

Suggested Improvements

My wife has a 2009 GC with the same motor but with a six speed tranny. That pushes mileage on the highway up significantly, so that is the only aspect I can think of.