Used 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
2004 G Caravan SXT AWD
By Derek J

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 1st GC but 3rd Chrysler van. Previously owned 2 G Voyagers. They just keep getting better. None of the vans ever gave me trouble. This one is loaded -AWD, all leather, infrared heating system, infiniti sound system. Looked at SUV's but other than a big Suburban no one can give you the space, versatility, & room w/o paying the price for gas. It is very comfortable & much more quieter than previous vans. Who could refuse the rebates?

Favorite Features

Heating/AC system, CD sound system with steering wheel controls, love the radio screen telling me what station and what song is playing, home security system, overhead console, and power sliding doors

Suggested Improvements

Dash nicely designed but front doors on inside are rather cheap. They could be better looking. Spot to put loose change as older vans had in cup tray.

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan XLT
By mrsvito

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Love my van but it does eat gas! Only complaint is having to remove rear seats instead folding them down as in the Japanese vans. Rides great and the kids love it!

Favorite Features

Automatic doors

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and folding down seats

Shop Rat!!!
By John Grey

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been in the shop a lot! We have replaced a transmission, Air conditioner compressor, Distributor coil, plus 3 rear window wiper motors!!! Not to mention numerous fit and finish problems with interior trim, arm rests, and seats! We are currently looking into buying a Honda and dumping this van! Do yourselve a favor and stay away from Dodge minivans. This is our second. Our first one we replaced 3 transmissions in that!!!

Favorite Features

Great Ride on the highway!

Suggested Improvements

Please make the thing as reliable as the Honda! The things in the shop more than on the road! And respond to people who have problems. We have yet to hear back from the Dodge regional manager!

Not a very good vehicle
By Bill Field

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've not had good luck with this vehicle at all. It's been in for various repairs 5 times now. Electrical problems, fuel system problems and mechanical problems. Bushings in the front sway bar went bad at 24000 miles. I just took it in for my state inspection and it had a bad tie rod end at 33000 miles. And guess what? Dodge refuses to pay for the tie rod end under warranty. My wife drives this vehicle and she is not an aggressive driver at all. I've maintained it properly and done everything I can to keep it running smoothly. I do like the removable seating on the interior. Lots of room, but not the most comfortable vehicle I've driven. This was not cheap either. Thumbs down!

Favorite Features

Removable seating. Room for 7. Decent power (when it runs).

Suggested Improvements

Lighting on all the switches. More comfortable seating. A helpful support team at Dodge. Gas mileage. More adjustability with the drivers seat. It feels like I'm sitting way to high all the time. Quality! The quality of this vehicle is terrible.

Do not buy Caravan!
By tcollie

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin? My engine went out at 52,000, the side electric doors operate sporadically, the suspension rattles, the brakes go out very fast, the tranny shifts rough. Do not buy a Caravan!

Favorite Features

A lot of storage/space

Suggested Improvements

Make the doors reliable. Make the engine reliable. Make the brakes last. Make the suspension last