Used 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Good (North)American Value
By R. E. Moore

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned since new, going on 7 years and have 135,000 miles. Overall 22-23 mpg. Out of warranty after 18 months (36,000 miles). Very comfortable ride, sits 6 adults or 7 if 3 kids. Seats come out in halves, easier than older Chryslers. Paid $21,500 new. Power doors expensive ($400)repair , paid for 3 now. Mostly highway miles, keep the oil changed, been very reliable. Goes through brakes. Automatic Transmission shifts rough, all my Chrysler minivans have. Anti-lock brakes awesome, thought I'd nailed someone last week, stopped quickly with no loss of control.

New van for good value price, expect it to keep going for several more years. Ease of seat removal, have moved daughter to and from college, son to and from Army posts, with great cargo capacity.

More reliable power doors. Do not operate your power doors manually, it helps tear them up. Doors are much easier manually if don't have power chain drive to overcome.

2004 Grand Caravan STX
By Jim99779

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2004 with about 80,000 miles on it as our 2nd car. We use it more as our primary car now because it's so nice to drive and simple to use. The most user-friendly vehicle you could buy with kids. Handles good, good seats and delivers decent mileage, if you run it reasonably. Best interstate cruiser I ever had. Note that I owned 10 cars before and have driven many more. Had to replace the tranny approx one month after purchase, for $1600.00, but Dodge is known for that. Good, cheap, used buy. I thought the power sliding doors were a joke until I used them. I would buy one again.

Devil in the Details
By JBaker in MS

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van b/c it was far cheaper than the Odyssey. It had been a great car until about a year ago. Now 5 years old, it's beginning to disappoint us. It's little things: there's a rattle in both sides of the front suspension, the front windows aren't working, trim is popping loose on the sides, the water pump went out and both doors have had the wiring harnesses replaced. Unfortunately, the warranty ran out long ago. The van drives/rides great. It's great on trips, but long-term reliability is questionable. Also, our mpg has never been good. It's now down to 18- unacceptable in a V6 minivan rated higher than that. Even on straight interstate we only get 21 or 22 mpgs.

Ride, ease of driving, overall design

Radio reception, more horsepower, better mileage, better build quality

Do not buy Caravan!
By tcollie

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin? My engine went out at 52,000, the side electric doors operate sporadically, the suspension rattles, the brakes go out very fast, the tranny shifts rough. Do not buy a Caravan!

A lot of storage/space

Make the doors reliable. Make the engine reliable. Make the brakes last. Make the suspension last

2004 GrandCaravan A Winner
By RM

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2004 SXT Dodge GrandCaravan is my first van and it really did exceed my expectations for comfort, convience and reliability. I will buy another Dodge GrandCaravan SXT for my next vehicle purchase

My seats in front and back are very comfortable, I hope the small Stow-A- Way seat design in the newer vans did not forfiet comfort for convenience.

I have heard the tranny problems are a thing of the past, however I hesitate trading my 2004 w/ 7 year 100,000 powertrain coverage in for a new 2006 that only has 3 yr 36,000 warranty.