2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Good (North)American Value
By R. E. Moore on 09/06/10 15:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned since new, going on 7 years and have 135,000 miles. Overall 22-23 mpg. Out of warranty after 18 months (36,000 miles). Very comfortable ride, sits 6 adults or 7 if 3 kids. Seats come out in halves, easier than older Chryslers. Paid $21,500 new. Power doors expensive ($400)repair , paid for 3 now. Mostly highway miles, keep the oil changed, been very reliable. Goes through brakes. Automatic Transmission shifts rough, all my Chrysler minivans have. Anti-lock brakes awesome, thought I'd nailed someone last week, stopped quickly with no loss of control.

2004 Grand Caravan STX
By Jim99779 on 05/17/10 01:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2004 with about 80,000 miles on it as our 2nd car. We use it more as our primary car now because it's so nice to drive and simple to use. The most user-friendly vehicle you could buy with kids. Handles good, good seats and delivers decent mileage, if you run it reasonably. Best interstate cruiser I ever had. Note that I owned 10 cars before and have driven many more. Had to replace the tranny approx one month after purchase, for $1600.00, but Dodge is known for that. Good, cheap, used buy. I thought the power sliding doors were a joke until I used them. I would buy one again.

Devil in the Details
By JBaker in MS on 06/17/09 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van b/c it was far cheaper than the Odyssey. It had been a great car until about a year ago. Now 5 years old, it's beginning to disappoint us. It's little things: there's a rattle in both sides of the front suspension, the front windows aren't working, trim is popping loose on the sides, the water pump went out and both doors have had the wiring harnesses replaced. Unfortunately, the warranty ran out long ago. The van drives/rides great. It's great on trips, but long-term reliability is questionable. Also, our mpg has never been good. It's now down to 18- unacceptable in a V6 minivan rated higher than that. Even on straight interstate we only get 21 or 22 mpgs.

Do not buy Caravan!
By tcollie on 01/18/07 14:13 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin? My engine went out at 52,000, the side electric doors operate sporadically, the suspension rattles, the brakes go out very fast, the tranny shifts rough. Do not buy a Caravan!

2004 GrandCaravan A Winner
By RM on 07/05/06 20:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2004 SXT Dodge GrandCaravan is my first van and it really did exceed my expectations for comfort, convience and reliability. I will buy another Dodge GrandCaravan SXT for my next vehicle purchase

Not a very good vehicle
By Bill Field on 05/17/06 07:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've not had good luck with this vehicle at all. It's been in for various repairs 5 times now. Electrical problems, fuel system problems and mechanical problems. Bushings in the front sway bar went bad at 24000 miles. I just took it in for my state inspection and it had a bad tie rod end at 33000 miles. And guess what? Dodge refuses to pay for the tie rod end under warranty. My wife drives this vehicle and she is not an aggressive driver at all. I've maintained it properly and done everything I can to keep it running smoothly. I do like the removable seating on the interior. Lots of room, but not the most comfortable vehicle I've driven. This was not cheap either. Thumbs down!

Great buy
By r.strait on 05/12/06 02:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We use this van for travel to Columbus at least twice/month. Also travel with 4 to 6 friends to the casinos twice to four times monthly. All comment on ride and comfort. Full compliment of riders allows for 23.3mpg. Average use is about 2500+ miles/month. Am looking foward to new model in fall of 2007. I'm sure we will get another trouble free year and a half on this van.

Dream Car
By D. A. Anderson on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Prior to this vehicle I had a 2001 Lincoln, Touring Sedan, Town Car. The Dodge Grand Carvan is far superior in all categories, leg room, passenger comfort, ride and driving. I now have two of these vehicles and love them. Over the years I have had numerous Lincolns and Cadillacs and with their downsizing since 1998 have made them unacceptable for my use. This Dodge fills the desires of a good size, comfortable, safe, fun to drive vehicle for me and my family.

3RD GRAND CARAVAN
By JNELSON973 on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 4th caravan. The last three have been Grand Caravans. The latest SXT has a 3.8L engine and has greatly improved its performance. It appears to be much quiter. The 16 inch wheels have improved the ride and handling. And this is the only Minivan that can be equipped with a handicap scotter hoist mounted in the back, because of all other models have fold down seats. I base an excellent rating on my years of Minivan experience. The only con- While the seats are well padded my spouse with back trouble has made a comment about the lack of good lower back support.

Dodge Grand Caravan
By marilynh1 on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

It drive great, very comfortable.