Used 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Good (North)American Value
By R. E. Moore

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned since new, going on 7 years and have 135,000 miles. Overall 22-23 mpg. Out of warranty after 18 months (36,000 miles). Very comfortable ride, sits 6 adults or 7 if 3 kids. Seats come out in halves, easier than older Chryslers. Paid $21,500 new. Power doors expensive ($400)repair , paid for 3 now. Mostly highway miles, keep the oil changed, been very reliable. Goes through brakes. Automatic Transmission shifts rough, all my Chrysler minivans have. Anti-lock brakes awesome, thought I'd nailed someone last week, stopped quickly with no loss of control.

Favorite Features

New van for good value price, expect it to keep going for several more years. Ease of seat removal, have moved daughter to and from college, son to and from Army posts, with great cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable power doors. Do not operate your power doors manually, it helps tear them up. Doors are much easier manually if don't have power chain drive to overcome.

2004 Grand Caravan STX
By Jim99779

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2004 with about 80,000 miles on it as our 2nd car. We use it more as our primary car now because it's so nice to drive and simple to use. The most user-friendly vehicle you could buy with kids. Handles good, good seats and delivers decent mileage, if you run it reasonably. Best interstate cruiser I ever had. Note that I owned 10 cars before and have driven many more. Had to replace the tranny approx one month after purchase, for $1600.00, but Dodge is known for that. Good, cheap, used buy. I thought the power sliding doors were a joke until I used them. I would buy one again.

Nice minivan
By Pete

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Caravan used with 21K miles for thousands less than a Sienna or Odyssey. I've put 60K miles on it and have not had any major problems. Other than regular oil/filter changes, I have replaced an EGR valve($100) and spark plug wires($60). Granted resale value is lower than Honda and Toyota, but I am pleased with the reliability. Great value. I would definitely buy another late model, low mileage used Caravan.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, dual driver/passenger and rear climate control, cargo space(largest in class), removable 2nd and 3rd row seats, adjustable 3rd row.

Suggested Improvements

better city fuel economy, handling

Devil in the Details
By JBaker in MS

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van b/c it was far cheaper than the Odyssey. It had been a great car until about a year ago. Now 5 years old, it's beginning to disappoint us. It's little things: there's a rattle in both sides of the front suspension, the front windows aren't working, trim is popping loose on the sides, the water pump went out and both doors have had the wiring harnesses replaced. Unfortunately, the warranty ran out long ago. The van drives/rides great. It's great on trips, but long-term reliability is questionable. Also, our mpg has never been good. It's now down to 18- unacceptable in a V6 minivan rated higher than that. Even on straight interstate we only get 21 or 22 mpgs.

Favorite Features

Ride, ease of driving, overall design

Suggested Improvements

Radio reception, more horsepower, better mileage, better build quality

Great Buy, Excellent Features.
By Platinum Buyer

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT Anniversary Edition Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great van. I extended the warranty on my van when we brought it because it was used and had 5,000 miles on it. I have brought it in for some engine and transmission issues but thank goodness it was under warranty still a little concerning for a relatively new car. My advice if you intend to keep any vehicle past 3 years get the extended warranty. At least it is a good resale feature.

Favorite Features

DVD, leather seats, 6 disc CD changer, the moveable console, the passenger doors (keyless entry)

Suggested Improvements

Have the windows open on the sliding doors to allow more fresh air into the vehilce. some mini vans already have that feature (Toyota Sienna).