2004 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Good (North)American Value
By R. E. Moore on 09/06/10 15:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned since new, going on 7 years and have 135,000 miles. Overall 22-23 mpg. Out of warranty after 18 months (36,000 miles). Very comfortable ride, sits 6 adults or 7 if 3 kids. Seats come out in halves, easier than older Chryslers. Paid $21,500 new. Power doors expensive ($400)repair , paid for 3 now. Mostly highway miles, keep the oil changed, been very reliable. Goes through brakes. Automatic Transmission shifts rough, all my Chrysler minivans have. Anti-lock brakes awesome, thought I'd nailed someone last week, stopped quickly with no loss of control.

2004 Grand Caravan STX
By Jim99779 on 05/17/10 01:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2004 with about 80,000 miles on it as our 2nd car. We use it more as our primary car now because it's so nice to drive and simple to use. The most user-friendly vehicle you could buy with kids. Handles good, good seats and delivers decent mileage, if you run it reasonably. Best interstate cruiser I ever had. Note that I owned 10 cars before and have driven many more. Had to replace the tranny approx one month after purchase, for $1600.00, but Dodge is known for that. Good, cheap, used buy. I thought the power sliding doors were a joke until I used them. I would buy one again.

Nice minivan
By Pete on 03/27/10 07:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Caravan used with 21K miles for thousands less than a Sienna or Odyssey. I've put 60K miles on it and have not had any major problems. Other than regular oil/filter changes, I have replaced an EGR valve($100) and spark plug wires($60). Granted resale value is lower than Honda and Toyota, but I am pleased with the reliability. Great value. I would definitely buy another late model, low mileage used Caravan.

Devil in the Details
By JBaker in MS on 06/17/09 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van b/c it was far cheaper than the Odyssey. It had been a great car until about a year ago. Now 5 years old, it's beginning to disappoint us. It's little things: there's a rattle in both sides of the front suspension, the front windows aren't working, trim is popping loose on the sides, the water pump went out and both doors have had the wiring harnesses replaced. Unfortunately, the warranty ran out long ago. The van drives/rides great. It's great on trips, but long-term reliability is questionable. Also, our mpg has never been good. It's now down to 18- unacceptable in a V6 minivan rated higher than that. Even on straight interstate we only get 21 or 22 mpgs.

Great Buy, Excellent Features.
By Platinum Buyer on 03/02/07 13:22 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Anniversary Edition Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great van. I extended the warranty on my van when we brought it because it was used and had 5,000 miles on it. I have brought it in for some engine and transmission issues but thank goodness it was under warranty still a little concerning for a relatively new car. My advice if you intend to keep any vehicle past 3 years get the extended warranty. At least it is a good resale feature.

Do not buy Caravan!
By tcollie on 01/18/07 14:13 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin? My engine went out at 52,000, the side electric doors operate sporadically, the suspension rattles, the brakes go out very fast, the tranny shifts rough. Do not buy a Caravan!

Great Van
By Bob on 10/14/06 08:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I am driving les as I have gotten older, however the comfort of this van is just great. I have had no problems, and the mileage is superior. When I first get in the van I know I am not going to have any operating problems. And I can't wait to start the engine and take off to do errands or visit friends. This my second new van and Chrysler has a winner. In the summer, plenty of air conditioning and lots of heat in the winter. The nice thing is, passengers can enjoy these features when they are in the back seat.

2004 GrandCaravan A Winner
By RM on 07/05/06 20:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2004 SXT Dodge GrandCaravan is my first van and it really did exceed my expectations for comfort, convience and reliability. I will buy another Dodge GrandCaravan SXT for my next vehicle purchase

Not a very good vehicle
By Bill Field on 05/17/06 07:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've not had good luck with this vehicle at all. It's been in for various repairs 5 times now. Electrical problems, fuel system problems and mechanical problems. Bushings in the front sway bar went bad at 24000 miles. I just took it in for my state inspection and it had a bad tie rod end at 33000 miles. And guess what? Dodge refuses to pay for the tie rod end under warranty. My wife drives this vehicle and she is not an aggressive driver at all. I've maintained it properly and done everything I can to keep it running smoothly. I do like the removable seating on the interior. Lots of room, but not the most comfortable vehicle I've driven. This was not cheap either. Thumbs down!

Great buy
By r.strait on 05/12/06 02:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We use this van for travel to Columbus at least twice/month. Also travel with 4 to 6 friends to the casinos twice to four times monthly. All comment on ride and comfort. Full compliment of riders allows for 23.3mpg. Average use is about 2500+ miles/month. Am looking foward to new model in fall of 2007. I'm sure we will get another trouble free year and a half on this van.