Used 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Best Caravan Yet
By Happy Caravan

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Dodge Caravan ('88, '93, '03) and I have been VERY please so far. I have my latest Caravan for 2.5 years and have zero mechanical problems. The ONLY issue that I have had with this vehicle is that the assemply plant missed the welds that join the roof sheet metal to the posts behind the front door (both sides). The body shop manager at the dealer said that he had NEVER seen that before, so hopefully, it was an isolated incident. Dealer fixed it for free and it has not been an issue.

Favorite Features

Tight turning radius, DVD player and movie screen, comfortable seats, High reliability, trip computer and overhead console. Seats are much easier to remove than benches on older models

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes (replaced the rotors after 20K). Better tires (looking kind of thin after 28K). Better gas mileage (17 in town, 23 on highway - previous Caravan did better, but that was a 3.3L)

Fun Van to Drive
By fosterdad

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We are foster parents and we just got our second child and realized we needed to trade in my wife's Mercury Tracer for a Grand Caravan. So far, we have been very happy with our purchase. This is a sporty looking van and has been very reliable and fun to drive. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of leg and head room. It came with a VCR so we also bought a portable DVD to plug in to it. The kids LOVE to be able to watch movies on long trips. The only complaint that I have is that the gas mileage is pathetic compared to the Odyssey and the Sienna vans. I couldn't fit in those, but I'm not disappointed. As a matter of fact, I'm looking to trade in my car and get a Caravan also.

Favorite Features

Awesome sound system, the VCR, comfortable ride, good power from the 3.3L engine, loads of interior space, adequate fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve on the fuel economy, there was an annoying squeak inside for several weeks (turned out to be the glove box), need easier access to the spare tire

Great, but I wonder???
By Ye Olde Bald Mailman

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this as a lease return with 29,000 miles on it. We studies all minivans on the Edmunds site and decided that Chrysler Corp. has finally cured their transmission woes and reliability and the 2003 was a really great car. We haven't been able to get the van back to the dealer for some transmission problems as they have a 2 week backlog on transmission work. This scares me!! Transmission "shudders" between 1st and 2nd gear and hits a "false neutral" when still rolling a couple miles per hour and then accelerating. I thought Chrysler products tranny problems were cured!! First minivan and maybe the last.

Favorite Features

Sound body- nice radio sound- fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

quality of mechanical components, especially transmission and air conditioning.

Not sure all the bugs are worked out
By ballcap

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this van for 1 year. In the last year, the following items have had to be replaced. Torque converter in transmission, alternator, power steering pump and now another phantom noise from the rear of the van. Also, with the quad seating, it is nearly impossible to get into the rear bench seats. Thank god the warranty is decent, I am sure I will be back the service dept soon.

Favorite Features

Power doors, and good hp from 3.8L

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of mechanicals.

Good
By Hung Chung

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

....

Suggested Improvements

Have to improve performancr comfort reliability interior and quality to beat sienna quest odyssey and MPV