Used 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Compressor failed 3 yrs into purchase
By curious07

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Caravan. I love it. Very convenient for the kids to get in and out of. My first Caravan the head gasket blew a year into purchase. The current one, the a/c compressor went three years into purchase and the gas pedal sticks. If I could afford it, I would look into the Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey.

Drives like a a car. Comfortable seating. Roomy.

Not a good experience this time around
By Reliability Issues

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had this van for about four years now, had a lot of trouble in the beginning with small things like the rear htch opening at will. Since the waranty ran out we are having trouble with the transmision (shifting back and forth between gears as you accelerate) water pump has gone, front end is loose and makes strange noises - I suspect the ball joints are shot, transmission hose broke and dumped transmission fluid all over road. Engine is loosing oil like crazy. Does not seem to be leaking so I can only assume that it is burning oil. This is my third Dodge Van... first two were good but this one has had problem after problem. I suspect I will not buy another Dodge van

Van is a good family vehicle, lots of space and has a comfortable ride. Seems to handle well when driving

Improve the quality of the vehicle, the problems I am having with this van I would expect with a much older van.

Rollover
By Pat

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I recently had a horrible accident in this van and miraculously survived! I swerved to avoid an animal on Interstate 70 in Utah and when I tried to correct, it didn't happen. I was traveling at 75-77 MPH on cruise and the wheels caught the concrete and I was accross the freeway and hit a large light pole, then rolled 3-5 times as I was told and somehow came out with only a broken clavicle, severely sprained back and lots of cuts and bruises. The recovery is slow, but the air bags and seat belts must have saved me...or a guardian angel? Whatever it was, I'm sure something helped me survive. I would buy another of these vans ASAP. Insurance said this was an excellant rated van for this crash.

Bob's review
By Bob C

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Overall vehicle has had a good performance history. Only had one issue/problem that the dealership was never able to identify and thus fix. Problem would occur when the vehicle was intially started, engine would shake and then correct itself after a minute or two. Since the check engine light never went on the dealer would never perform any other diagnostic analysis. This problem does not happen all the time on;y on rare occassions.

Plently of room.

Caravan
By hawk

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had a 90 grand caravan for 8 years and liked it so much that we bought a new one, no complaints about either one. It is not a small car but gets good gas mileage for its size.

I like being able to throw the kids in and still have space to move around.

Be able to open the windows on the sliding doors, but that may impact the safety rating?