Used 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

good value
By jim

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

139k only a few repairs, 2 sets brake pads, tow 1500 lb trailer/catamaran, excellent interior volume can get 26 mpg highway not towing, leather seats could be more comfy, turn signal release l failed, drivers power window, new exhaust, rattly front end, mechanic states nothing there needs replaced, also own 01 gc, same front end, both are sloppy when compared to Odyssey

Favorite Features

price and value, space, min repairs with a lot of miles

Suggested Improvements

better,tighter front end,doors that auto unlock when you stop

My 5th Caravan. Great Vehicle
By moparmtn

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am writing this review as most people report on fairly new vehicles. So I will tell you my review of my van. I have 113000 miles and it is still running smooth, quiet, no rattles or squeaks. Change oil (full synthetic) & filter every 5000 miles. Trans gets fluid and filter every 30000 and I cyphon out 4 quarts of fluid and replace every 15000. One brake job at 75000. My only complaint is when starting in cold weather it makes a funny noise for a second or two. Hope this helps to the durability of the van. I have had 150000 + trouble free service out of all 5 of my vans. On a cross country trip I put on 11988 miles towing a pop up camper and averaged 22 mpgs. Very happy with this van.

Favorite Features

Room, comfort, versatility and fairly good gas mileage for a vehicle this size, smooth and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Well I do like the styling but being it is rounded off it takes away room which is what I bought the van for in the first place. I am glad the new ones have been squared off which increases the room and storage capcity for all our camping gear. Good family van. Great tow vehicle for a pop up camper.

Regular Maintenance yet problems persist
By Larry

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased at 22K (used) currently at 66K. On the way home after the purchase (no joke!) we noticed a transmission shudder on the 1-2 upshift. We now avoid the 1800- 1900rpm 1-2 upshift (at least 2000rpm). Also, tranny was leaking fluid in the garage so the dealership replaced the solenoid (at 52K). Overall, the tranny is very, very delicate and we do not tow/haul 7 passengers whatsover. The power steering fluid must be topped up/checked often or else it will scream. Also, links/bushings were replaced at 50K as well as tie rods replaced at 60K. The e-brake may not release causing the rear discs to drag. If this happens pump the brakes/work the release handle.

Favorite Features

Love the 3.8L torque, effortless acceleration but weak past 75. Quick working heater and nice A/C performance. Good visibility too with a comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Of note the wipers are too slow in a downpour. The engine is bulletproof though the tranny is weak. I can't imagine not flushing it often. The new six-speed in the '09 must be better. First time Caravan owner and unfortunately the last one too. Bottom line: Quality is paramount.

We're there already?
By shipo

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The driving dynamics of this van are very similar to the ones I wrote about for our 1998. The only real differences are the more powerful engine at higher RPMs, the slightly better gas mileage and the higher seating position for the driver (not a good thing). This van is pretty much a fully optioned van with DVD video system, Infiniti audio, leather, adjustable pedals, power doors and other goodies. With the DVD system, our kids often ask "Are we there already?" after one of our frequent 5 hour trips to the NYC area. Geez, what a pleasure.

Favorite Features

Better headlights. Better brakes (thicker rotors and rear disks). DVD system

Suggested Improvements

Lower the minimum height of the drivers' seat. Better clutch assembly for the power sliding side doors

lust at first sight
By victor morris

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

when i first saw this van,i almost got rearended i hit the brakes so hard..i was passing by a dealership in richmond,virginia and i saw the side door glide back.the leather seats that were exposed reminded me of my fathers lazyboy football chair,large and inviting.i made the first available u- turn,i had to investigate.once on the lot,the magnetic pull locked in on me like an alien tracter beam.once inside,i knew that i had to have it.auto doors(3),leather,dvd,radio controls on the steering wheel...best purchase of my life

Favorite Features

all radio/c.d/tape/dvd functions mounted on the steering wheel,great picture on the dvd,leather is glove soft,sunroof is immense,pickup kinda shocked me,seats are a breeze to remove/replace,3 a.c. zones,the list goes on.....

Suggested Improvements

i can only dream about a turbo(i know its a van,but....)