2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Best car ever.
By andreamoo

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I did not want to buy a minivan. But in 2004 I bought a 2003 with 11K on it for $11K. This car has been fantastic. It took us through the western states camping. It moved us from one house to another. It has hauled carpool kids, craigslist finds, saddles, hay, dogs, beds and building materials. It averaged 29 mpg when we first got it on the highway, it now gets a solid 21 city/hiway. It broke down once in its 150K miles-the main computer glitched. That was not a pretty $500 but nothing since except standard maintenance. Even though it is no longer shiny and new, our current crop of carpool kids still like it best. I walk by it and pat it sometimes like a good pony.

Favorite Features

Stereo. Acceleration. Comfort. Heat works really well. A solid reliable uncomplaining car.

Suggested Improvements

Have reliable dealers selling it. It has squeaked in the front end since I bought it, and they would not warranty it. Obviously not too big of a deal since it has 151,000 on the odometer.

Too many things going wrong
By peechka

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

134,000 kms. I have had the power steering whine and the first ps flush lasted about 18 months. Just had second ps flush done. Several parts in front end have been replaced -- making noise but not affecting handling. Just replaced leaking rad & original battery. Tranny now appears to be having a shift problem at low speeds forward & reverse -- when maneuvering into/out of parking spot. If this problem is big $$$ the van is going to wreckers. This was my first brand new vehicle -- "Made in Canada" matters but I doubt I will buy another Chrysler product (had numerous tranny probs with a hand me down '96 Intrepid

Favorite Features

plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Telescopic steering column. Up and down (raise/lower) seat adjustment for driver. Better ventilation controls for rear passengers. Sliding door windows that can be opened. loose gas cap should not cause amber check engine light to remain on after cap is tightened.

Dodge always bad
By john

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 2003 new grand caravan sport had to replace transmission at 60,100 miles dealership did not make it easy to honor warranty at 100 miles over warranty had to install trans outside dealership was 100% cheaper, also computer had to be replaced, brake drums replaced twice, as you can see problems keep increasing, I do not recommend Dodge at all, right now as I write the starter needs to be replaced. Will never buy us make autos ever again. Previous to this I had a used 98 Plymouth Voyager and also had to replace transmission, I thought my buying new it would be better but totally disappointing.

Nice van
By VanMan

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this preowned/certified van from a dealership(in 2007). The van had 49,000 miles on it, The van has been very dependable (so far) with little maintenance. One problem occurred last year with the steering. A constant "whining" noise which was louder during the colder months. Went to a Dodge van "online discussion" and they advised to change the steering fluid reservoir. (it clogs after a while) Did that and NO MORE whining noise. When this one has reached the end of it's life I plan on getting another one!

Favorite Features

I like the entire van, 3rd one that I owned.

Suggested Improvements

Tough question? Couldn't find any faults? Seriously.

Good but bad
By loverofcars

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car has not been very reliable. Sometimes in the cold winter the car will not get into gear. You have to put it into neutral and the engine picks up again. The quality features of our car is that we have automatic trunk and one automatic door. The design of the car both interior and exterior are pretty well designed.Last thing is that the seats don't fold down you have to pull them out of the car.

Favorite Features

We really enjoy the automatic doors. It's really helpful for small kids. Also we like the cargo space too.

Suggested Improvements

Insted of pull out seats fold seats. Better transmission.

My Grand Caravan
By Handyman

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Sport Grand Caravan from an auto dealer on winter of 2006 with 139000km on it. Before I took it off from the dealer I put a new battery since it's winter. After 3 years, I have now 189500km in my odometer. In this period the only parts I've changed are the brake pads, the rotor disc, 1 headlamp bulb, wiper blades and a set of spark plugs. I could feel shudder in 1st & 2nd gear but not frequent. The signal light handle does not turn back. Though I don't consider this as a great minivan, but if you're a careful owner this car can last.

Favorite Features

Long body, removable back seats though I wished it has a stow n go, can accommodate pylwood, long lumber and rolled carpet, sound system is great, motorized seat adjustment, silent engine, overhead compass and thermometer

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, transmission shifts, engine power, signal light handle

5th and Last Grand Caravan
By swgplain

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We've owned 4 caravans before this and it seems that every model is worse then the before it. We bought it used with only 26,000 miles on it. Should have gotten the extended warranty. AT 38000 miles the turn indicator switch went out. Shortly there after the drivers side power lock and window control switch went out. Then the rear heater control switch went out. At 50000 miles the ABS sensors went out. We seriously considered the Honda Odyssey because of similar styling but at an average of 4 grand more and 20,000 miles more we opted to give the Americans one more chance. Now we have 92,000 miles and it needs a water pump and a power steering pump.

Favorite Features

Has good styling nice looks for a mini van. Also like the flex fuel engine is nice to be able to purchase gas under $2.00 a gallon. Comfortable seats and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control on the parts. Our secondary car is a '98 VW Jetta with 134,000 miles. Haven't had to do a single major repair since we got that vehicle 5 years ago with 86,000 miles. Seriously wish had spent the extra money and got a Honda.

OK For The Money
By gon2kona

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used from private party with 36000 miles. Dealer allowed us to purchase extended warranty and it's a good thing we did. My wife likes the van more than I but I tend to be more of a details person. For the money it's probably the best way to go if you need a mini van. Japanese competitors are much better build and reliability but also twice the dollar. We have had several issues with this van and know the service people well. Steering, Suspension Components, Transmission, Trans can't find the right gear on grades etc. AC was a problem also. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. Chrysler, no wonder you guys are in trouble. You build self destructing products. Take notes from competitors.

Favorite Features

Room.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough text lines to put it all in. Fail Successfully and improve. If you read the reviews they're the same complaints on the newer models as the late ones. Definition of insanity is to continue doing the same thing over and over thinking it's right. You failed to improve and Nardelli won't help

2003 Grand Caravan Sport (flex fuel eng)
By sadie's mom

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used in 2007. Would like to have seen the driver seat move lower to the floor when fully moved forward as in the older models of the dodge vans. I am pretty short and still have a hard time reaching the pedals without moving the seat all the way forward and touching the steering wheel. Otherwise very comfortable. Stereo system excellent. Have had no mechanical problems at all during this year. Have taken on a couple of day trips and there were no complaints of being uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

The stereo is great. The air and rear air are also great and keep the entire inside cool. Keeps all the passengers cool.

Suggested Improvements

Hard for short people to reach pedals without having to be right up on the steering wheel and airbag. Older models were better at this. Gas mileage really could be better.

Rip-Off!
By kj

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Since buying this vehicle, we have replaced the tie rods, replaced tires 3 out of 4 years, replaced brake pads almost annually, replaced the brakes, had the motor in the driver side power window fixed, replaced the alternator belt, did the tailgate lift recall, and now we are having to have the fuel injector replaced and the computer system repaired. The rubber on the edges of the doors has been glued twice, the air conditioner leaks on the passenger floor boards, the little cup holders on both passenger seats have also broken. You would think I worked to tear this vehicle up. It gets regular maintenance. I drive on interstates and main roads. It's in the shop for the 4th time this year!

Favorite Features

DVD system, heats quickly, great sound in the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Build things to last. Are Dodge owners the only ones who know what a tie rod is?