2003 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Best car ever.
By andreamoo on 12/13/11 23:01 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I did not want to buy a minivan. But in 2004 I bought a 2003 with 11K on it for $11K. This car has been fantastic. It took us through the western states camping. It moved us from one house to another. It has hauled carpool kids, craigslist finds, saddles, hay, dogs, beds and building materials. It averaged 29 mpg when we first got it on the highway, it now gets a solid 21 city/hiway. It broke down once in its 150K miles-the main computer glitched. That was not a pretty $500 but nothing since except standard maintenance. Even though it is no longer shiny and new, our current crop of carpool kids still like it best. I walk by it and pat it sometimes like a good pony.

Too many things going wrong
By peechka on 01/03/11 18:20 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

134,000 kms. I have had the power steering whine and the first ps flush lasted about 18 months. Just had second ps flush done. Several parts in front end have been replaced -- making noise but not affecting handling. Just replaced leaking rad & original battery. Tranny now appears to be having a shift problem at low speeds forward & reverse -- when maneuvering into/out of parking spot. If this problem is big $$$ the van is going to wreckers. This was my first brand new vehicle -- "Made in Canada" matters but I doubt I will buy another Chrysler product (had numerous tranny probs with a hand me down '96 Intrepid

good value
By jim on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

139k only a few repairs, 2 sets brake pads, tow 1500 lb trailer/catamaran, excellent interior volume can get 26 mpg highway not towing, leather seats could be more comfy, turn signal release l failed, drivers power window, new exhaust, rattly front end, mechanic states nothing there needs replaced, also own 01 gc, same front end, both are sloppy when compared to Odyssey

Dodge always bad
By john on 08/08/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 2003 new grand caravan sport had to replace transmission at 60,100 miles dealership did not make it easy to honor warranty at 100 miles over warranty had to install trans outside dealership was 100% cheaper, also computer had to be replaced, brake drums replaced twice, as you can see problems keep increasing, I do not recommend Dodge at all, right now as I write the starter needs to be replaced. Will never buy us make autos ever again. Previous to this I had a used 98 Plymouth Voyager and also had to replace transmission, I thought my buying new it would be better but totally disappointing.

Compressor failed 3 yrs into purchase
By curious07 on 07/10/10 20:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Caravan. I love it. Very convenient for the kids to get in and out of. My first Caravan the head gasket blew a year into purchase. The current one, the a/c compressor went three years into purchase and the gas pedal sticks. If I could afford it, I would look into the Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey.

Nice van
By VanMan on 06/06/10 05:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this preowned/certified van from a dealership(in 2007). The van had 49,000 miles on it, The van has been very dependable (so far) with little maintenance. One problem occurred last year with the steering. A constant "whining" noise which was louder during the colder months. Went to a Dodge van "online discussion" and they advised to change the steering fluid reservoir. (it clogs after a while) Did that and NO MORE whining noise. When this one has reached the end of it's life I plan on getting another one!

Good but bad
By loverofcars on 05/16/10 04:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car has not been very reliable. Sometimes in the cold winter the car will not get into gear. You have to put it into neutral and the engine picks up again. The quality features of our car is that we have automatic trunk and one automatic door. The design of the car both interior and exterior are pretty well designed.Last thing is that the seats don't fold down you have to pull them out of the car.

My Grand Caravan
By Handyman on 02/11/10 06:56 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Sport Grand Caravan from an auto dealer on winter of 2006 with 139000km on it. Before I took it off from the dealer I put a new battery since it's winter. After 3 years, I have now 189500km in my odometer. In this period the only parts I've changed are the brake pads, the rotor disc, 1 headlamp bulb, wiper blades and a set of spark plugs. I could feel shudder in 1st & 2nd gear but not frequent. The signal light handle does not turn back. Though I don't consider this as a great minivan, but if you're a careful owner this car can last.

5th and Last Grand Caravan
By swgplain on 12/02/09 09:08 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We've owned 4 caravans before this and it seems that every model is worse then the before it. We bought it used with only 26,000 miles on it. Should have gotten the extended warranty. AT 38000 miles the turn indicator switch went out. Shortly there after the drivers side power lock and window control switch went out. Then the rear heater control switch went out. At 50000 miles the ABS sensors went out. We seriously considered the Honda Odyssey because of similar styling but at an average of 4 grand more and 20,000 miles more we opted to give the Americans one more chance. Now we have 92,000 miles and it needs a water pump and a power steering pump.

OK For The Money
By gon2kona on 07/23/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used from private party with 36000 miles. Dealer allowed us to purchase extended warranty and it's a good thing we did. My wife likes the van more than I but I tend to be more of a details person. For the money it's probably the best way to go if you need a mini van. Japanese competitors are much better build and reliability but also twice the dollar. We have had several issues with this van and know the service people well. Steering, Suspension Components, Transmission, Trans can't find the right gear on grades etc. AC was a problem also. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. Chrysler, no wonder you guys are in trouble. You build self destructing products. Take notes from competitors.