Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Wish I never bought this car
By Jen

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've spent over $8,000 in engine repairs & maintenance the 5+ years that I've owned this car. Unfortunately, I've had endless mechanical problems and the car has litterally spent weeks in the shop over the 5+ years, meaning that I had to pay for a rental car out of pocket, while van was being repaired. I wish I never bought this car. I wish I would have gone for the Honda Odessey or the Toyota Sierra instead for a van. It frustrating dealing with the local Dodge Dealer for repairs, as they don't seem to value the customer's time enough. On the positive side, the interior of the Caravan is nice enough and comfortable for my family of 4--but my mechanical problems outweighed this.

Dual sliding rear passenger doors are a must with little kids (with hindsight wish I had paid extra to get the automatic/remote door & hatch opening & closing feature.) Front & rear air conditioning controls. I like the Distance to Empty feature on the gas gauge. Lots of adjustable cupholde

Don't put the exhaust pipe right below the bumper, as it always makes black exhaust dust all over the exterior of the back of the van. Rear seats that fold into the floor would be a definite improvement. Car is very noisy due to engine noise & road noise. Make it all quieter.

Transmission problems
By caravan driver

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had transmission problems with a previous model (1998 voyager se). When looking to buy the 2002 model, the salesman assured me that the transmission problems had been takem care of. He was wrong! Within a few months, there was a noticable bump in upshifting from 1st to 2nd. I took it to the dealer service dept, and they found nothing wrong. They said they did a "quick learn" on the transmission (never told me what that meant, even after i asked). Still a problem, took it back twice more over the next two years, they never admitted their was a problem. It's not a major issue yet, but it's getting worse. I'll never buy another Dodge product.

A great ride, but not reliable
By jdryer

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van at a year old with only 29,000 miles on it. I can say this is one of the most comfortable autos I've ever owned and there have been quite a few. But as for reliability, not so good an auto. When I bought the van it had a noise from the engine that sounded like a cricket. After many attempts the dealership replaced one of the pulleys and that fixed that. I've had to replace steering gear, at total repair charge of $605, at 46,895 miles. I've had an off and on oil leak. Now at 62,000 miles I seem to be having transmission "issues". Wish me luck on that one. Overall, would I buy another Dodge Caravan? Yes, but only if the dealership throws in an extended warranty.

Comfort, and engine responsivness.

Reliability and gas mileage improvments

Watch those power doors
By Karen

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this Dodge Grand Caravan Sport to replace our 10 year old Grand Caravan that died. This is our 3rd one and because of previous problems we also purchased the extended 100,000 mile warranty. I strongly suggest purchasing extended warranties with these vans as they are prone to problems. So why did I buy my 3rd one? Because they are just fun to drive for a mini-van! Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I'm dead. It's comfortable, extremely maneuverable, and tows our pop-up camper with ease. The power sliding door was a big problem, however. Never would work when the outside temp was less than 75. This went on for three years! Finally, "uplinking" the computer to a satellite fixed it.

The power lift gate--heavenly with an armload of stuff in the rain! Very comfortable. Great on long trips. Cruises along very smoothly. Plenty of storage space and extra power outlets are great for a TV. The rear AC is great for the people in the back. They stay cool without freezing me out.

The original tires were horrible! Always slid in the rain. Replaced them at 35,000 miles with Michelins and have had no problems since, along with those pesky brakes everyone else has mentioned. Having to remove the back seat can be a chore when you need more room.

Great Car
By Happy in MT

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great van, nice room and have not had any problems since I purchased. Currently have 110,000 miles and have only done routine maintenance.

Comfort controls for split front and seperate controls for back seat passangers. Good aux power setup for accessories

Better sound system balancing front and rear. More storage.