2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great car
By Susan on 05/08/05 22:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great minivan. We really like having vents that go all the way back (which is why we bought the Sport) and the built in kid seats - they make life so easy. The car runs great on the highway and handles really well. I just want better gas mileage - I can't wait until they start making hybrids or just improving the mileage.

Great van for Mom's Taxi
By jenn on 02/24/05 10:13 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Caravan, loads of room for the kids and all their junk. Trunk is good for groceries. Seats easy to manuver, except for removal, that is a pain. They are heavy and awkward. Had brake trouble at 40k miles. $600 worth of trouble, but it was a rental prior to my owning it, so I wasn't too surprised. Overall good, reliable vehicle. Easy to drive. Would definitely by another.

Great van, great space, great power.
By tunnaman on 12/11/04 11:23 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this van after owning Astro, Lumina, Aerostar, Windstar, and short Caravan. The space is wonderful and the power is suprising for something so big. I really dislike the blindspots and the road/wind noise at 75mph. I've averaged between 19.4 and 20.5 for my all purpose driving. I have a heavy foot, so I have been plesantly suprised with the mileage. I've had a series of quality frustrations like the side door gasket became compressed and noisy. The dealer replaced it. The PS cooler mount has a broken weld so every time I close a door it sounds like a penny in soup can. The dealer is charging me $390 to get it fixed.

Love that Dodge Van!
By Badger Red Blood on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I are in our 50's, the kids are gone, and this is the 1st Caravan we have owned. We should have had one years ago! We replaced a Pontiac Bonneville with this van, and love the convienence, comfort and versatility of this vehicle. We will replace it with another Dodge Grand Caravan.

Decent at best
By KMB on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my van used with 29,000 miles on it. At first I thought it was great we got a great deal etc... well now every 15,000 mile it needs breaks, acceleraton is slow when the air is on. The tensioner belt has squealed since the 2nd month of ownership, problems with the rack and pinion sterring, had the ac fixed ($1200). Now the transmission is starting to have problems. I call to make an appt and one dealer is a month behind to get it in, another is at least 2 weeks. I will NEVER buy one again. Thinking of buying an Odyssey.

Pleased
By tropikal on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, a very good vehicle. This is my third Caravan. Very comfortable on the road. The Touring suspension and ABS helped avoid a seroius accident; the car was very stable in an evasive move. Dynamite infinity stereo although the headphones are too difficult for the kids to work (me too). Problems: power sliding door, oil leak at the filter flange, transmission shifts hard from 1st to 2nd under light load.

Overall, it is a nice van
By Cacique on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice looking van inside/out. Very comfortable & somewhat quiet ride. Controls are conveniently laid out. Love the dual & rear climate controls. The V6 engine is powerful w/great acceleration. Only problems I had was exterior trim pieces at windshield & driver side sliding door came loose. Overall, great van. I just traded it in for its sibling, a Chrysler Town & Country LX only because I was getting close to 36K miles and as many already know, Dodge/Chrysler's reliability record is not one to brag about, although it makes good looking vehicles.

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Utah
By F. Tempel Riekhof on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ovarall a very good vehicle. For a good sized minivan, it is rather nimble on the road and rolls easily (better than my 1998. Good interior and comfortable seats. Power sides doors and tailgate work flawlessly. Vehicle is somewhat underpowered and would be better served by a 5-speed automatic transmission rather than the 4-speed. Transmission braking is useless. Uses a bit of oil.

Not Too Happy about Dodge
By Not Too Happy on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am a sucker 3 times over. Several nagging problems. It started with the power steering. It started getting really loud and whining and I took it to Dodge and they said there was an issue with some hoses that needed to be replaced. Later it came out as a recall. The back power liftgate is quirky. Sometimes it opens and sometimes it does not. The drivers seat squeaks horribly when you go around turns or your body shifts in the seat. The brakes were done at 27000 miles and I have had to take it back 3 other times. What a ripoff!

no 5 star here
By jabenj on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After 3300 miles the trouble began. ABS sensor failed, power sliding door stopped working. At 5000 miles the power steering cooling line ruptured. At 5700 miles the A/C compressor seized, necessitating a tow from the highway. 6000 miles, excessive noise from the front end. 3 trips to the dealer & 4000 miles--it's getting louder. 13mpg in city,unacceptable for a sticker claiming 18mpg!!!