2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Not too bad, after 8 yrs and 160k miles
By Dave on 06/08/10 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 20k miles on it. Swore I'd never own a minivan. LOVE the carrying capacity, although removing the bench seats to make room for plywood sheets was a pain. The built- in kid seats (2nd row) was very handy after the kids got out of car seats. Love all the power outlets. Multi-zone climate control was nice. Very comfortable overall. Mechanically, the brakes/rotors got worked on more than I'd have preferred. It needed some kind of engine sensor replaced ($300) at about 160k. Tires = normal wear/tear. Fuel = approx 17 (but I have a heavy foot). A/C is still awfully cold, cruise works fine, very pleased overall. Just bought another used one!

Trip taker
By JLH on 04/17/10 07:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van with 35,000 miles on it. We bought an extended warranty from a company that went our of business, but did get some repairs done first. This van was great for our family when we took trips. Even though it didn't have the DVD/Tv system. We didn't have too many problems until around 100,000 miles. We now have 134,000. Motor still runs good. Changed oil every 3000 miles and had the tranny serviced several times. The lock broke in one of the sliding doors. Just had front end problems. Sway bar bushings and a cv shaft. $500 to fix. My last brake job lasted 3 years. Replaced EGR valve. Now engine light is on. Vacuum problems. Also belt, tensioner and water pump. $500.

Car has been great!
By What to Buy next? on 12/28/09 20:46 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van used with about 60K miles. It now has about 119K miles and I have had very few problems. I've done all the routine fluid changes, etc. but no major problems. Had the water pump replaced a while back. I love the comfortable ride. Now I'm in the market for another vehicle because my husband's died and I'm getting the new(er) car. Kids are in college now and I can't decide what to get next.

Lovin' the ride !
By Renee Washington on 10/24/09 22:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van for a small mobile business I started. From day one it has been extremly reliable. I get a lot of compliments on it and love being seen in it. My only complaint is the 14mpg I get seeing as I live and work in the city. Other than that my family is lovin it.

poor quality
By Maz on 03/16/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very comfortable and versatile. Served us well with two teens through college, however constant maintenance was costly and inconvenient. Another example of good basic design but poor materials and engineering of components, especially persistent problems with A/C, Transmission, Alternator, Belts, Wipers, Brakes, Spare Tire, Liftback and Radiator. Other than those things, it ran fine ; )

A great ride, but not reliable
By jdryer on 09/09/06 19:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van at a year old with only 29,000 miles on it. I can say this is one of the most comfortable autos I've ever owned and there have been quite a few. But as for reliability, not so good an auto. When I bought the van it had a noise from the engine that sounded like a cricket. After many attempts the dealership replaced one of the pulleys and that fixed that. I've had to replace steering gear, at total repair charge of $605, at 46,895 miles. I've had an off and on oil leak. Now at 62,000 miles I seem to be having transmission "issues". Wish me luck on that one. Overall, would I buy another Dodge Caravan? Yes, but only if the dealership throws in an extended warranty.

Watch those power doors
By Karen on 07/30/06 20:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this Dodge Grand Caravan Sport to replace our 10 year old Grand Caravan that died. This is our 3rd one and because of previous problems we also purchased the extended 100,000 mile warranty. I strongly suggest purchasing extended warranties with these vans as they are prone to problems. So why did I buy my 3rd one? Because they are just fun to drive for a mini-van! Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I'm dead. It's comfortable, extremely maneuverable, and tows our pop-up camper with ease. The power sliding door was a big problem, however. Never would work when the outside temp was less than 75. This went on for three years! Finally, "uplinking" the computer to a satellite fixed it.

Great Car
By Happy in MT on 07/18/06 10:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great van, nice room and have not had any problems since I purchased. Currently have 110,000 miles and have only done routine maintenance.

Great car
By Susan on 05/08/05 22:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great minivan. We really like having vents that go all the way back (which is why we bought the Sport) and the built in kid seats - they make life so easy. The car runs great on the highway and handles really well. I just want better gas mileage - I can't wait until they start making hybrids or just improving the mileage.

Decent at best
By KMB on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my van used with 29,000 miles on it. At first I thought it was great we got a great deal etc... well now every 15,000 mile it needs breaks, acceleraton is slow when the air is on. The tensioner belt has squealed since the 2nd month of ownership, problems with the rack and pinion sterring, had the ac fixed ($1200). Now the transmission is starting to have problems. I call to make an appt and one dealer is a month behind to get it in, another is at least 2 weeks. I will NEVER buy one again. Thinking of buying an Odyssey.