Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Not too bad, after 8 yrs and 160k miles
By Dave

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 20k miles on it. Swore I'd never own a minivan. LOVE the carrying capacity, although removing the bench seats to make room for plywood sheets was a pain. The built- in kid seats (2nd row) was very handy after the kids got out of car seats. Love all the power outlets. Multi-zone climate control was nice. Very comfortable overall. Mechanically, the brakes/rotors got worked on more than I'd have preferred. It needed some kind of engine sensor replaced ($300) at about 160k. Tires = normal wear/tear. Fuel = approx 17 (but I have a heavy foot). A/C is still awfully cold, cruise works fine, very pleased overall. Just bought another used one!

Favorite Features

The space! Quite comfy for a family of 4, and occasionally more. Quite reliable (bought the extended warranty, never used it). Lots of power outlets (kid's DVD, laptop, GPS, cell phone charger). Handles snow pretty well (Colorado winters). Dual sliders made hauling kids much nicer.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the seats would lay flat to accommodate sleeping on. Power is somewhat anemic. Higher output headlights for late-night drives. Better cup holders (especially in back- they spill a lot). Interchangeable bench seating (thank goodness for stow- n-go on the replacement van). Individual reading lights.

Trip taker
By JLH

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van with 35,000 miles on it. We bought an extended warranty from a company that went our of business, but did get some repairs done first. This van was great for our family when we took trips. Even though it didn't have the DVD/Tv system. We didn't have too many problems until around 100,000 miles. We now have 134,000. Motor still runs good. Changed oil every 3000 miles and had the tranny serviced several times. The lock broke in one of the sliding doors. Just had front end problems. Sway bar bushings and a cv shaft. $500 to fix. My last brake job lasted 3 years. Replaced EGR valve. Now engine light is on. Vacuum problems. Also belt, tensioner and water pump. $500.

Favorite Features

Ride. It's a minivan so it has a lot to like for families. Ours has a luggage rack and I was able to haul lots of things other than people. 14 ft trim and wood on the roof. Lots of room for luggage.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality on interior. Better quality on mechanical parts.

Car has been great!
By What to Buy next?

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van used with about 60K miles. It now has about 119K miles and I have had very few problems. I've done all the routine fluid changes, etc. but no major problems. Had the water pump replaced a while back. I love the comfortable ride. Now I'm in the market for another vehicle because my husband's died and I'm getting the new(er) car. Kids are in college now and I can't decide what to get next.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. I have both a CD and tape player which I love.

Suggested Improvements

Make a short, not extended van so I can buy another van even though I don't need it for transporting kids. Better gas milage.

Lovin' the ride !
By Renee Washington

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van for a small mobile business I started. From day one it has been extremly reliable. I get a lot of compliments on it and love being seen in it. My only complaint is the 14mpg I get seeing as I live and work in the city. Other than that my family is lovin it.

Favorite Features

Burgandy color really looks great. Love the overhead console readouts and the temp controls are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage could be greatly improved upon.

poor quality
By Maz

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very comfortable and versatile. Served us well with two teens through college, however constant maintenance was costly and inconvenient. Another example of good basic design but poor materials and engineering of components, especially persistent problems with A/C, Transmission, Alternator, Belts, Wipers, Brakes, Spare Tire, Liftback and Radiator. Other than those things, it ran fine ; )

Favorite Features

Ride, Interior space, Luggage capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Drive Train and components that would last more than 36K. Give me the 150 hours of my life that I spent waiting on repairs back.