Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Wish I never bought this car
By Jen

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've spent over $8,000 in engine repairs & maintenance the 5+ years that I've owned this car. Unfortunately, I've had endless mechanical problems and the car has litterally spent weeks in the shop over the 5+ years, meaning that I had to pay for a rental car out of pocket, while van was being repaired. I wish I never bought this car. I wish I would have gone for the Honda Odessey or the Toyota Sierra instead for a van. It frustrating dealing with the local Dodge Dealer for repairs, as they don't seem to value the customer's time enough. On the positive side, the interior of the Caravan is nice enough and comfortable for my family of 4--but my mechanical problems outweighed this.

Dual sliding rear passenger doors are a must with little kids (with hindsight wish I had paid extra to get the automatic/remote door & hatch opening & closing feature.) Front & rear air conditioning controls. I like the Distance to Empty feature on the gas gauge. Lots of adjustable cupholde

Don't put the exhaust pipe right below the bumper, as it always makes black exhaust dust all over the exterior of the back of the van. Rear seats that fold into the floor would be a definite improvement. Car is very noisy due to engine noise & road noise. Make it all quieter.

My $.02
By Greg

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has the potential to be awesome! It drives great, handles well, and hauls all the kidd-o's with room to spare for all the extras. The integrated child seats are the best! Here's where my enthusiasm ends... The first transmission was replaced at 35K miles.Other failed items include the idler pulley on the serpentine fanbelt, front brake replacment at 45K, Front wheelbearing failure at 50K, Power steering pump failure at 50K, second transmission shifting hard into 1st on deceleration at 50K. Several recalls have been issued on this van. Dodge not covering much of anything on the extended warranty... So much for a certified used vehicle

Dual Climate control. Integrated child seats

Weak powerplant... especially for a full load in mountainous terrain. Fuel mileage is poor... How about a turbo diesel offering? they have 'em in Europe! Improve the reliablity.

Love that Dodge Van!
By Badger Red Blood

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I are in our 50's, the kids are gone, and this is the 1st Caravan we have owned. We should have had one years ago! We replaced a Pontiac Bonneville with this van, and love the convienence, comfort and versatility of this vehicle. We will replace it with another Dodge Grand Caravan.

Duel comfort zones up front, and the tight turning radius of this vehicle are both great features. You sit up high and can see much more than from the normal car seat height.

Develope a gas/electric drive train. Buy it from Toyota if you have to! There needs to be a better fuel econ option to make this a really useful vehicle in coming years.

The Big blue Van
By elmo

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

So now I'm 30- something w/ 2 kids; so now I have a van. Well, i must say that the Dodge Grand Caravan is a really cool van, as van's can be. The van has all the features(except a C/D player) we wanted and was exaclty priced at what we wanted and could afford to pay for a van. The cool thing is that the Grand Caravan is the cheaper priced- just as nice cousin of the Chrysler Town and Country.

The color- is "pearl blue", the power passenger door is a really cool feature. With two kids in car seats it sure helps to have atleast one door already open when you get to the van.

The "roar"of the a/c-engine of the Grand Caravan.The salesman and several of my friends say that the sound is typical.But it sure is loud sometimes. Is it about to break? Also the cost of some upgrades is way over priced.