Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Never again
By Dennis

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van because of affordable pricing and good looks. Reliability and build quality are poor with several recalls and replacement of transmission, water pump, AC compressor, sway bar bushings and now the blower motor only works on high. Have replaced blower motor resistor but that only worked for a short time before it failed. Many other problems, thank goodness I took out the extended warranty on this thing.

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors and the seats are extremely comfortable, most comfortable car seats I have ever set in.

Suggested Improvements

Need a major improvement in quality and reliability. I will never again own another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. They are still way behind everyone else in quality of product and reliability.

Not too bad, after 8 yrs and 160k miles
By Dave

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 20k miles on it. Swore I'd never own a minivan. LOVE the carrying capacity, although removing the bench seats to make room for plywood sheets was a pain. The built- in kid seats (2nd row) was very handy after the kids got out of car seats. Love all the power outlets. Multi-zone climate control was nice. Very comfortable overall. Mechanically, the brakes/rotors got worked on more than I'd have preferred. It needed some kind of engine sensor replaced ($300) at about 160k. Tires = normal wear/tear. Fuel = approx 17 (but I have a heavy foot). A/C is still awfully cold, cruise works fine, very pleased overall. Just bought another used one!

Favorite Features

The space! Quite comfy for a family of 4, and occasionally more. Quite reliable (bought the extended warranty, never used it). Lots of power outlets (kid's DVD, laptop, GPS, cell phone charger). Handles snow pretty well (Colorado winters). Dual sliders made hauling kids much nicer.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the seats would lay flat to accommodate sleeping on. Power is somewhat anemic. Higher output headlights for late-night drives. Better cup holders (especially in back- they spill a lot). Interchangeable bench seating (thank goodness for stow- n-go on the replacement van). Individual reading lights.

No Regrets - Still Love It after 8 Years
By Scotty

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ordered new with lower (cloth) trim level, added roof rack, power rear gate, touring suspension, traction control, and steering audio controls. Absolutely love the model; all (even teens) enjoy driving it and don't want to sell. Outstanding interstate/trip vehicle but uneconomical around town. No major repairs but lots of $400 types (power doors, power steering, rust at rear wheel wells, power windows). Annoying dash LED back lights have failed so we are in the dark for console controls (but not displays). Automatic HVAC controls are poor design, wish they were just sliding manual controls. Engine performance, handling, and ride are great. Also very utilitarian with all seats out.

Favorite Features

Trip computer, built in garage door opener, steering audio controls, power lift gate, stereo, rear HVAC, firm & supportive seats (ES model only), low noise level, engine, transmission, suspension, brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Simplify HVAC controls like SE model has. Make power equipment more reliable.

Trip taker
By JLH

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van with 35,000 miles on it. We bought an extended warranty from a company that went our of business, but did get some repairs done first. This van was great for our family when we took trips. Even though it didn't have the DVD/Tv system. We didn't have too many problems until around 100,000 miles. We now have 134,000. Motor still runs good. Changed oil every 3000 miles and had the tranny serviced several times. The lock broke in one of the sliding doors. Just had front end problems. Sway bar bushings and a cv shaft. $500 to fix. My last brake job lasted 3 years. Replaced EGR valve. Now engine light is on. Vacuum problems. Also belt, tensioner and water pump. $500.

Favorite Features

Ride. It's a minivan so it has a lot to like for families. Ours has a luggage rack and I was able to haul lots of things other than people. 14 ft trim and wood on the roof. Lots of room for luggage.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality on interior. Better quality on mechanical parts.

Car has been great!
By What to Buy next?

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van used with about 60K miles. It now has about 119K miles and I have had very few problems. I've done all the routine fluid changes, etc. but no major problems. Had the water pump replaced a while back. I love the comfortable ride. Now I'm in the market for another vehicle because my husband's died and I'm getting the new(er) car. Kids are in college now and I can't decide what to get next.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. I have both a CD and tape player which I love.

Suggested Improvements

Make a short, not extended van so I can buy another van even though I don't need it for transporting kids. Better gas milage.