Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Never again
By Dennis

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van because of affordable pricing and good looks. Reliability and build quality are poor with several recalls and replacement of transmission, water pump, AC compressor, sway bar bushings and now the blower motor only works on high. Have replaced blower motor resistor but that only worked for a short time before it failed. Many other problems, thank goodness I took out the extended warranty on this thing.

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors and the seats are extremely comfortable, most comfortable car seats I have ever set in.

Suggested Improvements

Need a major improvement in quality and reliability. I will never again own another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. They are still way behind everyone else in quality of product and reliability.

Transmission problems
By caravan driver

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had transmission problems with a previous model (1998 voyager se). When looking to buy the 2002 model, the salesman assured me that the transmission problems had been takem care of. He was wrong! Within a few months, there was a noticable bump in upshifting from 1st to 2nd. I took it to the dealer service dept, and they found nothing wrong. They said they did a "quick learn" on the transmission (never told me what that meant, even after i asked). Still a problem, took it back twice more over the next two years, they never admitted their was a problem. It's not a major issue yet, but it's getting worse. I'll never buy another Dodge product.

It's a keeper
By 2sapoton

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We've been very happy with the van and Dodge service. Some early problems (ABS/traction control packed up at 350 miles, small head leak detected at 18K, both fixed under warranty), otherwise troublefree. Excels at long trips: very comfortable for four adults and two small kids, not fatiguing to drive. Leather interior is definitely worth it with kids. City gas mileage has been 17-20 mpg, on long trips from 22.5 to 24.5 mpg. At the time purchased, the only other van we found competitive was Honda's Oddysey, with a 3-month wait to get one from dealer allocation (and we checked with every dealer within 100 miles) for $3K higher street price. We intend on keeping it for at least 120K miles.

Favorite Features

Motorized side doors, leather interior, quality of rear seating (way better than Mazda or Toyota of same year), roominess. We had an episode in the rain with the careless driver of another car: the ABS system works well.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler updated this model with disappearing rear seats, which would sometimes be helpful. I don't mind pulling our seats out of the van, but storing them is a pain. We got side- impact airbags, but newer vans have air-curtain protection the whole length of the passenger compartment.

My Van
By Chris

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My van has pros and lots of cons- the pros: powerful 3.8LV6 has nice interior and exterior abs. Now the cons- lots of trouble, the transmission had to be replaced at 70,00 miles, and the airbag sensors came on. The senor in the streeing wheel broke 2- 3 times.

Favorite Features

Big engine, lots of room in the back for a 6'2'' person like me. Big 16'' wheels.

Suggested Improvements

It needs to come up to date with other vans. It needs to have all air bags come standard like the side cutrain ones

I like it!
By B. O'Brien

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle used with 15k miles....have never had any problems of any kind. The engine has plenty of power and the power sliding doors and lift gate are great for our two kids. The interior could be a little more luxurious, but it is certainly adequate. Overall, it is very nice vehicle for families. The stock tires were pretty lousy, especially in the rain. We replaced them with Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's and it was a HUGE improvement. We also had to replace the front brakes at 27k miles.

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors (both sides), and power lift gate

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the factory tires