Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
Lackluster
By wwl

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new and wanted to comment when I saw that several reviews had noted problems with the replacing the brakes at fairly low miles. I have also had to replace the front brakes on this vehicle at 38,000 miles (pads and rotors). There was no warning that these brakes needed replaced until one of the rotors warped. I kept asking the dealer to check them and they always told me that they were fine. Funny how now that the van is just out of warranty that they need replaced. Typical MOPAR quality.

Favorite Features

It's a minivan

Suggested Improvements

Design brakes that last longer then 30,000 miles and train your dealers to know what brakes look like when they need to bereplaced. Improve the gas mileage.

Not Too Happy about Dodge
By Not Too Happy

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am a sucker 3 times over. Several nagging problems. It started with the power steering. It started getting really loud and whining and I took it to Dodge and they said there was an issue with some hoses that needed to be replaced. Later it came out as a recall. The back power liftgate is quirky. Sometimes it opens and sometimes it does not. The drivers seat squeaks horribly when you go around turns or your body shifts in the seat. The brakes were done at 27000 miles and I have had to take it back 3 other times. What a ripoff!

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors, styling

Suggested Improvements

Rework with some quality improvements. They don't hold their value at all. Lower price because it does not compare to many other minivans.

NeedsQuality
By BadQuality

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but trouble ever since the day I purchased it. I will NEVER buy a Daimler Chrysler product again. There is NO quality in them, and they treat customers like trash! Gosh! Peice of JUNK!!!

Favorite Features

Absolutely Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Change everything and add quality, the prices they charge are unbelievable compared to a Honda Oddysey who has a ton of quality, features, etc. No one should buy this horrible peice of JUNK!!!!!!!!!

My $.02
By Greg

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has the potential to be awesome! It drives great, handles well, and hauls all the kidd-o's with room to spare for all the extras. The integrated child seats are the best! Here's where my enthusiasm ends... The first transmission was replaced at 35K miles.Other failed items include the idler pulley on the serpentine fanbelt, front brake replacment at 45K, Front wheelbearing failure at 50K, Power steering pump failure at 50K, second transmission shifting hard into 1st on deceleration at 50K. Several recalls have been issued on this van. Dodge not covering much of anything on the extended warranty... So much for a certified used vehicle

Favorite Features

Dual Climate control. Integrated child seats

Suggested Improvements

Weak powerplant... especially for a full load in mountainous terrain. Fuel mileage is poor... How about a turbo diesel offering? they have 'em in Europe! Improve the reliablity.

poor quality
By Maz

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very comfortable and versatile. Served us well with two teens through college, however constant maintenance was costly and inconvenient. Another example of good basic design but poor materials and engineering of components, especially persistent problems with A/C, Transmission, Alternator, Belts, Wipers, Brakes, Spare Tire, Liftback and Radiator. Other than those things, it ran fine ; )

Favorite Features

Ride, Interior space, Luggage capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Drive Train and components that would last more than 36K. Give me the 150 hours of my life that I spent waiting on repairs back.