2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Review: It's been a good van

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Review

It's been a good van
By John on

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van in late summer 2006; it had 99,000 miles on it when I got it. (I've been buying high-mileage cars for about 10 years, with minimal problems.) This is a very comfortable van; noticeably more comfortable than our '99 SE. Problems since purchasing: new AC compressor - worked fine when I bought it, conked out a month later; new regulators for both front windows; I replaced the power steering reservoir to eliminate the cold weather noise that's characteristic of this vintage Chrysler van; had some seals replaced to eliminate engine leaks. The only one of those repairs that I was surprised at was the AC compressor. After all, a lot of wear happens in 99,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Styling - it's got the 16" alloy wheels with low profile tires to go with the nice overall styling; hauling capacity - this is our third Dodge van, and it's the best so far for versatile hauling configurations; split rear seats are nice, as are the middle captain's chairs; it's a quiet vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Interior integrity needs improvement - rear seat headrests rattle; power liftgate gets cranky in cool weather - more durability would be nice; all Chrysler vans could stand access improvement under the hood.