Used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

I miss my van
By preacher_man_d

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

If I hadn’t been hit two different times in one week and the insurance totaled it out, I would still be driving this van. I bought the van used in 2002. Yes, it had all the problems associated with Dodge vans – I replaced the transmission, the carpet under the passenger side stayed wet in the summer, etc. Many of the problems I was able to repair myself just by watching Youtube. Anyway, before I started driving with a “target” on my van, which caused me to be hit twice by two different people in one week (not my fault), I had just turned 234,000 miles! I will miss it.

Transmission was designed by 3rd world nation flunkies.

"Sport" model for a reason
By sebago588

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 01 GC Sport in the latter part of 2000 out of a 96 Sable wagon. We love our van. Not only can we tow our 20 ft bow rider with it, the cargo room when all the seats are removed is like a Uhaul. The engine has power and sounds throaty like a Durango or even a Charger. Reaching highway speeds is no problem for the peppy little 3.3 liter V6 even with 7 adult sized passengers. We had one power window motor die out on our son while he was at a car wash (horrible scenario) and once needed a new starter. All of which were not ridiculously pricy but, repairing anything on a Chrysler product is thankfully never a "remortgage the house" situation. Engine smokes my sister's Odyssey.

Center dash console was and still is sleek compared to other minivans, V6 Flex fuel engine can haul practically anything, rear climate control is a must and works great, Infinity Sound system has hardcore bass and sounds amazing, the car is rated at 15/22mpg however for 12 years we have been getting on average 27-30mpg at speeds of up to 85mph. Visibility is remarkable especially for a minivan.

Make the 3.8 liter V6 standard in addition to the optional AWD. Lighten up the 3rd row seat so as not to need a body builder to come over and take it out for you.

2nd good one
By surflad

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 1995 Caravan with 50k miles in 1997. Put another 120k miles on it in 6 years. Transmission went out at 75k miles but was covered by warranty. In '02 traded the '95 in on this 2001 Sport. Now has 220,000 miles on it. Replaced entire A/C system in 07, $1k. Replaced transmission at 210,000, used one for $750. Other than that both front window motors, one alternator. Now on second tune up, second set of brakes, fourth set of tires, Goodyears. Doesn't use any oil, rides great! Hauls surfboards, kayaks, musical equipment and still gets 25mpg on highway. We love it!

comfortable ride, great handling, front seat comfort, fuel economy, load capacity.

Appreciate my van!
By Shannon

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I simply love this van! I bought the van to replace an older Dodge Caravan that had over 300k miles and was on it's last tire! The only thing I have replaced is a brake line that rusted out. I live near the ocean so I run through a lot of salt water which was probably a contributing factor. I decided to buy new headlights ($80) because they did fog and visibility was a concern. The automatic door on the pass. side works when it wants to, but I don't mind walking around to open it! I don't have very high expectations for a vehicle that is 9 years old, but this van exceeds all that I do have. I never worry about sitting on the side of the road. Excellent family van.

comfort, smooth ride, plenty of room for people and cargo, has no signs of rust anywhere, sound system, traction control

improve electrical components such as sliding door motor, fog lights, modify design of dashboard/windshield to make it easier to clean, headlights and third brake light fade and peel prematurely.

Nice to drive for a van
By kennedyma

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought for 6K from a private party, who kept all their records. We have put 40K miles on it since and have had basically no problems. Goodyear Triple Treds were on it, and at 95K we put another set on. These are really good tires for this van. Everything still works fingers crossed

Easiest van to drive, ever (and we have had them all!) seats are easy to remove; sits up high; quiet

some rust on wheel wells only get 20 mpg..but a great hauler,