Used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Good & Dependable
By Tony Wilkerson

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very dependable van. We rented one on vacation about 5 years ago and my mother-in-law really really like it. So we bought her one but unfoturnately she doesn't drive it ever unless it's an absolute have to. These Dodge's don't seem to be made for short people to drive. Her and my wife are about 5'1 and 5'2 and neither one of them enjoy the driving experience. However on the plus side it is very dependable. Gas mileage is definetly lacking, we previously owned a Chevy Venture van and it out did this one by a landslide. We are a little afraid to get rid of it because it is so dependable but my mother-in- law has since bought a chrysler sebring and we will probably be getting a Suburban soon.

Favorite Features

Handles great

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, adjustable drivers seat should be standard on all models.

Been Very Happy
By GH

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Back in '04 I purchased my '01 GC Sport with 81,000 miles on it. After 6 years it has over 200K on the clock and still runs great. No transmission troubles, just regular maintenance changing the oil and getting new tires and brakes. The 3.3 is a reliable motor and it has performed flawlessly. My only complaint with the van is the power door lock switches as they don't always work.

Favorite Features

Seats, utility and ease of seat removal. Stereo has good sound quality for stock.

Suggested Improvements

Wish all of the Dodge Minivans were as reliable as this one.

2nd good one
By surflad

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 1995 Caravan with 50k miles in 1997. Put another 120k miles on it in 6 years. Transmission went out at 75k miles but was covered by warranty. In '02 traded the '95 in on this 2001 Sport. Now has 220,000 miles on it. Replaced entire A/C system in 07, $1k. Replaced transmission at 210,000, used one for $750. Other than that both front window motors, one alternator. Now on second tune up, second set of brakes, fourth set of tires, Goodyears. Doesn't use any oil, rides great! Hauls surfboards, kayaks, musical equipment and still gets 25mpg on highway. We love it!

Favorite Features

comfortable ride, great handling, front seat comfort, fuel economy, load capacity.

Coming from a van hater
By Van hater

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Top of line 3.8L ES, non-AWD. Awesome vehicle. 3 zone auto A/C is great. 3 power doors great. 77k miles. 17" chrome wheels look great. What's better than Odyssey's 3rd fold flat seat? A 50/50 rear bench. Can't count how many times half of that seat is down to allow beach stuff or whatever and still get 4 kids in. Odyssey 3rd seat is all or nothing...overrated! Also have the back shelf...useful for groceries...above and below. And, in 2001, no leather from Honda...we have all leather. Kids and cloth interiors do not get along very well. We tow a 3500# trailer quite frequently...tows very strong. People almost look surprised when they see a van pulling the trailer...yep, not an SUV.

Favorite Features

Leather, 3-way auto A/C, 50/50 rear seats, 17" chrome wheels, rear power liftgate, Autostick, 3500# towing capacity, fog lights, 4-disc in-dash CD changer, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Envious of the new Stow'n'Go. 5 speed automatic would make this a dream vehicle.

I miss my van
By preacher_man_d

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

If I hadn’t been hit two different times in one week and the insurance totaled it out, I would still be driving this van. I bought the van used in 2002. Yes, it had all the problems associated with Dodge vans – I replaced the transmission, the carpet under the passenger side stayed wet in the summer, etc. Many of the problems I was able to repair myself just by watching Youtube. Anyway, before I started driving with a “target” on my van, which caused me to be hit twice by two different people in one week (not my fault), I had just turned 234,000 miles! I will miss it.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission was designed by 3rd world nation flunkies.