2001 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Not so Happy
By Robideau on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Major problem: At 42,000 miles, steering rack went out. Very dangerous to drive because steering would stick in a turn. Cost $700 to fix, just barely out of warranty (36,000) and less than 2 years old. Also, fuel injector went out at this time also, $300 to fix. Had to replace battery at 2 1/2 years. Minor: Interior moldings frequently come apart. Don't think there should be this many problems!

NICE
By hmdavid on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted an SUV but the wife wanted a minivan. My only thought on that was if I had to drive a minivan it had to be the sportiest one on the road, Caravan! We have enjoyed the room and styling of our Grand Caravan and plan to drive ultil the wheels fall off. We have only had a couple complaints about the van. One is the comfort of the front seats on long trips. A lumbar support would be nice. And second, the ignition wires that Dodge uses, stink.

Recommended
By arge on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used 2001-39000ml for $12,500 with new tires and keyless entry. Not bad at all. The 3.3L engine has very good pick-up but it slows down if you really try to rev it up. I average 18MPG. This could be better! A hybrid engine or turbo diesel would help quite a bit on the fuel economy side. Road handling is surprisingly good, car like, but in a sense, driving its better because of the nice view from “up there”. Comfort: low engine/aerodynamic noise (even if they cheap out on engine sound shielding), smooth shifting. Driver seat feels a little cheap. Sometimes the door armrest squeaks. Internal space is gorgeous, kids love it.

lots of little problems
By sports mom on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We went for the top of the line fully loaded, have had nothing but problems. don't always act up when you take it to the dealership. Dealer has been great. atleast everything is on warranty but what happens when there is no more warranty. problems with tranny, electrical, computer, slider motor & chain, ect...

3's a charm, third TRANNY that is !!!!
By Tired on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

With less than 36K our Grand Caravan is on it's third transmission. The first tranny lasted 32K, the second 3K, and your guess is as good as mine on the current tranny. The service from the dealer we purchased from has been great, but I want a reliable van. If that isn't bad enough when our van was returned after the third tranny, I noticed the steering started to vibrate the entire van when turning corners at low speeds. It was fixed under warranty of course but my warranty is up shortly and I have lost faith. Take it for what ever it's worth, thought I should let people know.

WE LOVE IT
By SS - Nova Scotia on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 99 Voyeger (short version) to this 2001 GC. It is running well, quite comfortable ride. I purchased Chrysler extended warranty to have peace in mind. All ij our family (3 kids) love it.

grand caravan
By eralf on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

my wife and I are on our third grand caravan. we are extremely happy with our experience. we travel a lot and have had great enjoyment from these vehicles.

A real multi purpose vehicle
By Bdgilhooly on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased our Caravan soon after our daughter was born, used, with almost 14,000 miles and have loved every bit of it. I traded in a Dakota, and it can do more than my truck did. The two back seats roll out, and the volume is tremendous. On the highway, I average 28 mpg., with the 3.3 liter. My sister has a popular SUV, and her interior space is MUCH more limited, in a vehicle that gets much poorer gas mileage!!?? Long after I don’t need a kid mover, I’ll still have a Caravan because of it’s usefulness.

Very surprised new minivan owner
By tweetybird on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great ride & fun to drive. I thought that I would never own a minivan. But, having two kids I knew that I needed a minivan. After shopping for a while we bought it and I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago! Affordable.

Nice family car
By mresener on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a nice family car. Roomier than other mini-vans.