2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Not Happy!!!
By John Wills on 04/28/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this minivan only two months ago. Already a/c went out, pass. side door trim (exterior) fell off. But gas mileage is decent for a seven year old vehicle. Wish it had center console, dealer didn't know where it was and it was over $400.00 from Dodge! Also no owner's manual.

Unreliability overshadows looks
By CR on 07/25/06 17:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this minivan new because it was the best looking of all the minivans at the time. It had an unusually (for a minivan) sporty look plus it has a great ride, handled well, was very comfortable on long trips, a luxurious interior and quietness, and offers great peformance with plenty of torque from the 3.8 V6. However, it turned out to be more than a lemon, a real headache. It has had over $5,750 in repairs since 1 week of ownership until now. To list just a few problems: New rear hatch motor, sliding door motor,window motor,new transmission,3 AC,condensor, 2sets rotors, ignition barrel, pwr doorlock, pwr steering ,etc..all before 50,000 miles.

Minivan Lover
By DadOf5 on 06/14/06 08:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van used with 40k on it and an orig. sticker of $32,900 Gave $15,000 for it used. Go Dodge ! For some reason I still love this van. I guess because you can haul the world in it. Problems include A/C clutch bearing went bad, can't get a new bearing so we need whole new compressor. 900 bucks. Power rear lift and driver side sliding door have minds of their own. Infinity stereo e.q. has short do not move it or else! After a run up in the N. Georgia Mts the tranny isnt the same. It groans and whines like it's on its last leg. That was 15k ago and it's still coming back for more. When the engine is cranked after sitting overnight this van sounds like a Deere not Dodge. Van now has 91K.

Coming from a van hater
By Van hater on 06/14/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Top of line 3.8L ES, non-AWD. Awesome vehicle. 3 zone auto A/C is great. 3 power doors great. 77k miles. 17" chrome wheels look great. What's better than Odyssey's 3rd fold flat seat? A 50/50 rear bench. Can't count how many times half of that seat is down to allow beach stuff or whatever and still get 4 kids in. Odyssey 3rd seat is all or nothing...overrated! Also have the back shelf...useful for groceries...above and below. And, in 2001, no leather from Honda...we have all leather. Kids and cloth interiors do not get along very well. We tow a 3500# trailer quite frequently...tows very strong. People almost look surprised when they see a van pulling the trailer...yep, not an SUV.

Nice Driver - Good Utility
By kaamom on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased all available options. In hindsight, I'd have skipped the additional cost of the auto stick. The gears shift automatically even when using the auto stick which negates the usefulness of the feature. The tow capacity is more than enough to tow mulch trailers and all U-Haul trailers with ease. The automatic door openers are useful with a young family, but we've already had to repair the door motors not under warranty (expensive). Overall - good personal space - smooth ride - good utility

GOOD SO FAR W/MINOR PROBLEMS
By hankinsd on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is a pretty good van overall but I had a water leak around the passenger windshield which the dealer finally fixed after 3 attempts. The dealer did not replace the carpet, which I requested. NOT VERY HAPPY WITH DODGE ABOUT THAT ISSUE!!!!! I also had a dash lighting issue. The fix was just resetting the computer. All in all it is a nice VAN but DODGE needs to do better with CUSTOMER SUPPORT. One other thing I have a 99 Dodge Dakota which also had a water leak at almost the same place. NOT GOOD!!!

lots of little problems
By sports mom on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We went for the top of the line fully loaded, have had nothing but problems. don't always act up when you take it to the dealership. Dealer has been great. atleast everything is on warranty but what happens when there is no more warranty. problems with tranny, electrical, computer, slider motor & chain, ect...

3's a charm, third TRANNY that is !!!!
By Tired on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

With less than 36K our Grand Caravan is on it's third transmission. The first tranny lasted 32K, the second 3K, and your guess is as good as mine on the current tranny. The service from the dealer we purchased from has been great, but I want a reliable van. If that isn't bad enough when our van was returned after the third tranny, I noticed the steering started to vibrate the entire van when turning corners at low speeds. It was fixed under warranty of course but my warranty is up shortly and I have lost faith. Take it for what ever it's worth, thought I should let people know.

grand caravan
By eralf on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

my wife and I are on our third grand caravan. we are extremely happy with our experience. we travel a lot and have had great enjoyment from these vehicles.

just bought
By edel on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a new left over 2001 ES GC. It has too many options to mention and I think I got it for a good deal of $28K. MSRP was $35.5 new. So far so good. We tried the 2002 MPV and Odyssey and the Dodge appears to give best bang for buck