Used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

It's been a great ride!
By BushMom

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

After 6 years of mostly city driving, my van has not missed a beat. It still looks great, runs well, and I've had very few minor issues with it. I had 1 in 1998, which ended up the victim of a powerful rear-end collision in 2001. Because of the way the Grand Caravan took the impact, I went and bought another one in 2001. I will certainly buy again.

Sliding doors, power lift gate, and general ease of use.

Most of what I'd improve has been done on later models.

So..so minivan
By mom of 2 boys

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car was a year old when I purchased it. It is great on long drives because of the room. I have several dents in the rear bumper because of the difficulty to see behind. The car was good for the first couple of years, but now is experiencing major mechanical problems. I wish the seats would "stow and go" easier. The third row is a pain to remove.

Love the electric side door and the divided captain seats.

Dodge Grand Caravan SE
By Joel

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Overall the minivan has been very reliable and practicle. Bought with 35k miles from dealer, zero problems. ride quality is good and interior comfort is adequite. Fuel economy is almost too good and the van handles very well. Overall for the price you probably wont find better. I would definintly recommend. (the 3.8 would add more power.)

It looks great, runs well, no problems.

More power (the 3.8 would probably add it) better quality interior.

Recommended
By arge

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used 2001-39000ml for $12,500 with new tires and keyless entry. Not bad at all. The 3.3L engine has very good pick-up but it slows down if you really try to rev it up. I average 18MPG. This could be better! A hybrid engine or turbo diesel would help quite a bit on the fuel economy side. Road handling is surprisingly good, car like, but in a sense, driving its better because of the nice view from “up there”. Comfort: low engine/aerodynamic noise (even if they cheap out on engine sound shielding), smooth shifting. Driver seat feels a little cheap. Sometimes the door armrest squeaks. Internal space is gorgeous, kids love it.

Better fuel efficiency, Better seat quality.

Good Buy
By JPowell

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 6-cylinder Grand Caravan in summer of '91, after plenty of research. Great van for a young family (2 adults, 2 kids). Recommend the 6- cylinder with luggage rack. Pros: Driver and passenger comfort are excellent. 6-cylinder provides plenty of power (test drove the 4-banger too...a bit of a dog). Drives like a large car, very smooth with enough pep for passing. Cons: One recall to replace side door latch (handled very efficiently by dealer). Removable seats are very heavy...not a one-person task. Because of this, we avoid removing the seats and use the luggage rack instead.

Lots of attention to details - Dodge has obviously listened to its customers. Numerous cupholders, power outlets, etc. We're recommending this vehicle to our friends. Most attractive styling in class, IMHO.

Lighter rear passenger seat, if possible without compromising safety. Dealer-installed keyless entry is sketchy...I've set off that damn alarm more times than I want to count.