Used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Utility in disguise
By Greg Kaufmann

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

new tranny at 160000 miles, after I had a private shop put in a new filter. I had been changing the tranny fluid every 20K miles, and should have never let that guy work on it, He didn't even tighten the pan bolts all the way, and it was leaking fluid and then the filter disintegrated and plugged the pump and it blew. The front speakers wore out, the fan relay behind the glove box wore out (thirty bucks) I've gotten through wet slush runs that stop suv's. We've been skiing every weekend in the winters, the 3.8 gets us up the hills. I do put it in 3rd so it doesn't keep trying to hit overdrive. We have abused this rig pretty hard in deep snow many times, and it just keeps trudging along. Have fit a 10 foot by 4 foot couch in the back with the door closed, and plenty of plywood. Traction is great, there are many times when I should have had chains, but never used them. Everything is pretty utility, nothing too fancy. I mostly travel without the seats, they are easy to remove and put back in. If going 57 mph I have gotten up to 28mpg, but average about 21 most of the time. When the breaks wore out at 160000 they replaced the calipers and everything as they said they can not reliably reseat the ceramic calipers that was 1000 bucks.

Nice to drive for a van
By kennedyma

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought for 6K from a private party, who kept all their records. We have put 40K miles on it since and have had basically no problems. Goodyear Triple Treds were on it, and at 95K we put another set on. These are really good tires for this van. Everything still works fingers crossed

Easiest van to drive, ever (and we have had them all!) seats are easy to remove; sits up high; quiet

some rust on wheel wells only get 20 mpg..but a great hauler,

Unreliable long-term
By The White's

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Looking to buy a minivan (Not Dodge!!!!) Kept current Caravan in excellent condition & purchased ext. warranty. Transmission blew @ 76,000 miles (- $2600); A/C compressor & evaporator went at 102,000 miles (-$2700) of course after attaining full "paid off" ownership. Seemed like a "timed" bomb. Total cost of 7-yr old van after initial investment = $27,000. Not reliable for long-term ownership. Dodge servicing in South FL. (used several) was not satisfactory as well.

Reliability, customer satisfaction, service correctly

01 DGC EX
By Masterpaul1

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van used in Sep. 03 with only 37K. It has been very reliable for us with only two non maintainence minor issues. Right after purchase, both front power window regulators and motors had to be replaced. We've had some suspension work done at around 55K. Both covered under warrenty. So far, we have had to replace a gas cap, battery, and soon both rear cargo door gas lifters from being to weak to lift the cargo door in cold weather by automatic. (Will open manually with no problem). Right now we get about 16 MPG in the city and 24 MPG on the highway. This was a good choice for us and am very pleased with our purchase.

Smooth, stiff, well controled and quit ride. Power of the 3.8L engine. Space and seat comfort. Power rear lift gate and side door. Easy out rollers on second and third row seats. Guage cluster and lighted controls at night. Center consel, rear storage orginizer, crank down spare. Safety features

Better front suspension parts that don't wear before 60K. Third row center head rest with should belt.

A decent people mover and ultility vehicle
By b3200

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Drives great, poor gas mileage (16-19mpg. The engine is great. At 60,000, failure of side door electric motor, and air conditioner compressor. I am happy for the extended warranty from 1source warranty. Future consideration would be not to buy this vehicle considering a Honda Odyssey. What I wish on this vehicle is an intermittent horn which would actually work. Otherwise, I am happy with the workmanship on this vehicle.

The bundled feature, 3.8 liter engine, power door, tinted window and rear air. The one thing I thought I would not like is the center console with that can be moved from the front to the back. The brakes are a great feature, all wheel disk brakes.

Intermittent horn, more compartments 8 passenger seating, and a moon roof. I think the headlamps could be improved. Otherwise leave the car alone.