2000 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Still going at 257000+ miles
By ken_86gt on 02/01/12 09:07 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van used at ~93k miles. This van has been incredibly reliable. Normal maintenance items ONLY- oil, filters, tires, brakes, plugs, belts, battery. Still on original hoses. I have only replaced the starter and alternator once, I consider this normal. It is starting to use a little oil, have a transmission leak that is significant, and uses coolant frequently. I just keep them topped of at this point. I will be looking for another Caravan soon! I have friends with Honda and Toyota minivans that required much more maintenance and repairs than mine! I keep thinking that this will be the last set of tires I buy- and then 50K later it is time again...

170,000 miles and still going!
By cprevbhayes on 07/02/11 11:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Bought used in 2003 with 35k. Now has 170,000 and still running strong. Did have to replace shift solenoid in tranny at about 100k, but that was only a $300 repair. Motor is still strong and doesn't use any oil. Transmission will use a little fluid occasionally. Only complaint (if you can complain about something that is 11 years old) is that the paint on the hood is fading out. Still drives great. A/C compressor is currently out and weighing whether or not it is worth the $1000 price tag to have that fixed. All in all, it has been a great vehicle. Not that exciting to drive, but great for the family. Hey, it's a minivan after all!

Dodge Caravan Transmissions Go out at 60k
By lanrivers on 06/26/11 08:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This Van is a curse. I have owned over 5 for fleet and all transmissions average around 60,000 and thats it. Expensive to replace AND many times the rebuild only lasts a week. One had to be rebuilt 3 times. Too expensive. Why Dodge doesn't correct this problem? The mechanic told me they could if they put the correct hardened components in but they don't want to because it helps there service Dept. create revenue that they would not have if it was too dependable. Big Scam. Avoid this van unless you have very deep pockets. Cost me 10's of thousands over 10 years. Keep away.

Still goin!
By autoitking on 12/24/10 17:51 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

My family has had this car for 10 years now, and it's still going strong. Original engine and transmission are rock solid and perform well. Only problems we ever had was a leaky radiator hose, a bad spark plug wire, and a bad idler. Once the idler and spark plug wires were replaced, it ran like new again! The power steering is very powerful and has a lot of boost. Very easy to steer, and handles well considering its size. The leaf springs in the rear make loading over a ton no problem, and the engine can haul it adequately. We fit all of my college stuff in there with room for three adults left. And the engine made it 350 miles to my dorm and back. Also a few very long trips (over 600 miles)

Grand Caravan
By Whachaknow on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought the Grand Caravan when we had three teenage children. Outside the obligatory Chrysler minivan transmission problems and an early replacement of front struts and steering pump, which were covered by the extended warranty, it has been a very reliable performer. The mileage is poor, as expected. But, we have driven it coast to almost coast (Washington, DC to Arizona), up and down mountains, and across deserts, and it has proven to be reliable and thoroughly comfortable. Now that we are almost empty-nested, we will eventually replace it with something smaller and more fuel efficient, but it has been a great family vehicle for all these years.

Gem of a Car
By Aloysis on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this to haul bikes inside. Excellent room.Remove center seats and push third row forward.loads of room. stylish design not boxy like the new ones. First year: New Windshield (Scratch) Steering Column, (Squeak). Tremendous Pickup even 11 years later. Current mileage is 63.000.

Not a good buy
By melliann on 07/29/10 18:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 4dr Minivan AWD

We have had nothing but issues since we got it, going through brake pads like crazy, had to replace the transmission twice, and be careful how far away you are from other drivers because the brakes are really squishy, so bad that it caused me to get into a fender bender and now hubby thinks it is totaled! Oh joy - NOT!

The Best Minivan Ever
By DollyPartonRocks on 02/09/10 22:57 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I have only had one "under" the hood problems, that was in 2007, fixed & no problems since. Everything is still like new, although like all older cars it does need new headlights. Driver side sliding door got jammed once in 2003, fixed and no problem since. This is by far the best minivan ever!!! You can't go wrong with this thing!!!!

All Good Here
By 61 kd on 04/29/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this model from dealer, first family truckster I've owned. I think I'll own it forever. It just never quits. Did have a master cylinder issue early on but was under warranty. I also replaced the A/C but other than that nothing else. It rides like a dream, love the versitility of removing the 2nd row captain chairs, and it gets 23 on the highway. Engine and Tranny still going strong!

Epitaph for a minivan
By 70dave on 08/17/08 22:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Bought this van for my wife to drive and as our family car. My wife has really enjoyed the van and I must admit it looks pretty good for a minivan with the rear spoiler and the alloy wheels. It even handles pretty good. We have three teenagers and the van has served the purpose well of transporting us with adequate leg room. I am 6,2" and it is not at all comfortable for the driver. There is nowhere to put your left leg due to the wheel hump. As of last week van had approx. 120,000 miles and was serviced regularly. I added transmission fluid all the time due to tranny leak so the fluid was always fresh. Same for power steering fluid and coolant. Crashed last week w/no air bags deployed. Bye van.