Used 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Still going at 257000+ miles
By ken_86gt

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van used at ~93k miles. This van has been incredibly reliable. Normal maintenance items ONLY- oil, filters, tires, brakes, plugs, belts, battery. Still on original hoses. I have only replaced the starter and alternator once, I consider this normal. It is starting to use a little oil, have a transmission leak that is significant, and uses coolant frequently. I just keep them topped of at this point. I will be looking for another Caravan soon! I have friends with Honda and Toyota minivans that required much more maintenance and repairs than mine! I keep thinking that this will be the last set of tires I buy- and then 50K later it is time again...

Favorite Features

Roomy, hauls the family and gear well on long trips. I can pull a large trailer with it when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage- I average 20mpg normal driving and about 24mpg when on the highway.

Dodge Caravan Transmissions Go out at 60k
By lanrivers

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This Van is a curse. I have owned over 5 for fleet and all transmissions average around 60,000 and thats it. Expensive to replace AND many times the rebuild only lasts a week. One had to be rebuilt 3 times. Too expensive. Why Dodge doesn't correct this problem? The mechanic told me they could if they put the correct hardened components in but they don't want to because it helps there service Dept. create revenue that they would not have if it was too dependable. Big Scam. Avoid this van unless you have very deep pockets. Cost me 10's of thousands over 10 years. Keep away.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Transmission obviously

Still goin!
By autoitking

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

My family has had this car for 10 years now, and it's still going strong. Original engine and transmission are rock solid and perform well. Only problems we ever had was a leaky radiator hose, a bad spark plug wire, and a bad idler. Once the idler and spark plug wires were replaced, it ran like new again! The power steering is very powerful and has a lot of boost. Very easy to steer, and handles well considering its size. The leaf springs in the rear make loading over a ton no problem, and the engine can haul it adequately. We fit all of my college stuff in there with room for three adults left. And the engine made it 350 miles to my dorm and back. Also a few very long trips (over 600 miles)

Favorite Features

Huge! 170 cubic feet of cargo with all seats gone! Very reliable Engine is fairly powerful, 200lbs.ft of torque is a good amount Pretty comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, but it is a huge car Handling could also be better, but again, that's hard to do with such a large car Some of the plastics fell cheap, but they have held up well

Grand Caravan
By Whachaknow

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought the Grand Caravan when we had three teenage children. Outside the obligatory Chrysler minivan transmission problems and an early replacement of front struts and steering pump, which were covered by the extended warranty, it has been a very reliable performer. The mileage is poor, as expected. But, we have driven it coast to almost coast (Washington, DC to Arizona), up and down mountains, and across deserts, and it has proven to be reliable and thoroughly comfortable. Now that we are almost empty-nested, we will eventually replace it with something smaller and more fuel efficient, but it has been a great family vehicle for all these years.

Favorite Features

Space (the final frontier!) Compass Comfortable seating Front and rear air and heat Second row doors on both sides

Suggested Improvements

More reliable transmission. Better gas mileage.

Gem of a Car
By Aloysis

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this to haul bikes inside. Excellent room.Remove center seats and push third row forward.loads of room. stylish design not boxy like the new ones. First year: New Windshield (Scratch) Steering Column, (Squeak). Tremendous Pickup even 11 years later. Current mileage is 63.000.

Favorite Features

Style, Acceleration, Roominess.

Suggested Improvements

none