2000 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Still going at 257000+ miles
By ken_86gt on 02/01/12 09:07 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van used at ~93k miles. This van has been incredibly reliable. Normal maintenance items ONLY- oil, filters, tires, brakes, plugs, belts, battery. Still on original hoses. I have only replaced the starter and alternator once, I consider this normal. It is starting to use a little oil, have a transmission leak that is significant, and uses coolant frequently. I just keep them topped of at this point. I will be looking for another Caravan soon! I have friends with Honda and Toyota minivans that required much more maintenance and repairs than mine! I keep thinking that this will be the last set of tires I buy- and then 50K later it is time again...

Dodge Caravan Transmissions Go out at 60k
By lanrivers on 06/26/11 08:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This Van is a curse. I have owned over 5 for fleet and all transmissions average around 60,000 and thats it. Expensive to replace AND many times the rebuild only lasts a week. One had to be rebuilt 3 times. Too expensive. Why Dodge doesn't correct this problem? The mechanic told me they could if they put the correct hardened components in but they don't want to because it helps there service Dept. create revenue that they would not have if it was too dependable. Big Scam. Avoid this van unless you have very deep pockets. Cost me 10's of thousands over 10 years. Keep away.

Still goin!
By autoitking on 12/24/10 17:51 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

My family has had this car for 10 years now, and it's still going strong. Original engine and transmission are rock solid and perform well. Only problems we ever had was a leaky radiator hose, a bad spark plug wire, and a bad idler. Once the idler and spark plug wires were replaced, it ran like new again! The power steering is very powerful and has a lot of boost. Very easy to steer, and handles well considering its size. The leaf springs in the rear make loading over a ton no problem, and the engine can haul it adequately. We fit all of my college stuff in there with room for three adults left. And the engine made it 350 miles to my dorm and back. Also a few very long trips (over 600 miles)

Grand Caravan
By Whachaknow on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought the Grand Caravan when we had three teenage children. Outside the obligatory Chrysler minivan transmission problems and an early replacement of front struts and steering pump, which were covered by the extended warranty, it has been a very reliable performer. The mileage is poor, as expected. But, we have driven it coast to almost coast (Washington, DC to Arizona), up and down mountains, and across deserts, and it has proven to be reliable and thoroughly comfortable. Now that we are almost empty-nested, we will eventually replace it with something smaller and more fuel efficient, but it has been a great family vehicle for all these years.

Gem of a Car
By Aloysis on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this to haul bikes inside. Excellent room.Remove center seats and push third row forward.loads of room. stylish design not boxy like the new ones. First year: New Windshield (Scratch) Steering Column, (Squeak). Tremendous Pickup even 11 years later. Current mileage is 63.000.

The Best Minivan Ever
By DollyPartonRocks on 02/09/10 22:57 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I have only had one "under" the hood problems, that was in 2007, fixed & no problems since. Everything is still like new, although like all older cars it does need new headlights. Driver side sliding door got jammed once in 2003, fixed and no problem since. This is by far the best minivan ever!!! You can't go wrong with this thing!!!!

All Good Here
By 61 kd on 04/29/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this model from dealer, first family truckster I've owned. I think I'll own it forever. It just never quits. Did have a master cylinder issue early on but was under warranty. I also replaced the A/C but other than that nothing else. It rides like a dream, love the versitility of removing the 2nd row captain chairs, and it gets 23 on the highway. Engine and Tranny still going strong!

Strut Towers
By Caravangh on 08/01/08 19:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

If you have a Dodge Minivan, you have rusted Strut Towers. The over all Van is in great working order, run good, look good. BUT than you look under the hood WOW RUST like you have never seen before. The Strut Towers are so badly rusted around the top, I'm afraid one day my strut is going into orbit.

Tranny issue down the line, stay away...
By vincent on 07/17/08 14:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought the car new with the wife using it mostly for work and around town plus family vacations. Right about 44k miles the tranny went south on us. Dodge won't cover cause its out of warranty. Replaced it with a used tranny & 1500 miles into it the tranny died. This time got a brand new tranny from Dodge and it ran fine until 115k miles later. Tranny shot again. I should've read about all these Chrysler tranny issue before buying it. There's a site online dedicated to Chrysler tranny time bomb. They make decent looking car but interior and mechanical flaws are all over. Never will I buy another Chrysler product.

buying another dodge grand caravan
By d.baker on 03/21/08 20:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

we have 5 kids and bought this 2000 dodge van used in 2002 w/ 34,000 miles. 6 years and a total of 163,000 miles later we are buying another used 2007 dodge van. we have not have had any thing major go wrong with the old van, just a tranny sensor that was recalled anyway. Still has good pickup and the cassette doesn't work anymore. going to keep the old van as it still runs good and trade in value isn't worth squat.

1 2 3 4 5 next »