1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Reliability w/ COMFORT
By AWDcaravanLVR on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

This has been the best car I've owned - Perfect for the kids & all that that includes. Comfortable - Great in the SNOW with the AWD blows both of our 4 x 4 's away Love that both passenger doors open. We put in a TV & DVD player & it's great. Other Family members always call to borrow our Van when they go on long distance trips. Highly Recommend

Good but not Great.
By teresphere on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I do mostly interstate driving ~17K/yr. I currently have 65K miles right now. I have replaced the brake pads once 5 months ago. I have not had any problems with any sensor or belt tensioner. I did get a recall letter about a possible fuel O ring that might be a problem in the engine compartment. There are some electrical problems..windshield wipers can be fickle. The transmission has had a rough time getting in gear at first at very cold temps (10 to -20F. I bought this car brand new..and i had a small transmission leak..a poor seal. I fixed it myself. I also seem to be losing some oil more recently.

Wonderful Van
By RandyMac on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased my van used in 1999 with a little trepidation, but I could not have been more pleased. It drives wonderfully and have done 0 repairs only routine maintenance.

If safety is what matters
By Dawn and Joe on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We owned a van just like this one, and my husband was hit in the passenger side door sending the van spinning 360 degrees. All of the tires popped and the van hit another car. Needless to say, it was totaled. HE WALKED AWAY with nothing bit a case of jitters. If he were in our Honda I don't think he would have been as lucky. The CHP couldn't believe he was walking. We have 4 kids and no matter if we have to repai it (which we haven't had to) we will ALWAYS drive a Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Of Course until the kids are older then its a 2 seater:)

Aaaack!!
By Big Mamma on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We've had the brakes repaced 4X in 48,000 mi. Also, replaced sensors 2X in the last 3 months. Drive belt tensioner is about to go. We had a Subaru for 7 years with 1/2 the problems of this van :(

NOT TOO BAD SO FAR
By ROB R on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I HAD ONLY ONE PROBLEM SINCE PURCHASING IT USED..I HAD A SENSOR GO OUT THAT KEPT THE VAN IN 2ND GEAR..IT HAPPENED 2 DAYS AFTER PURCHASING IT SO THE DEALER REPAIRED IT AND GAVE ME A RENTAL CAR..10,000 MILES LATER..ALL IS OK

Leased-Costing much$ before I return it
By Robert R on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Stay away from this vehicle! I have had to replace a speed sensor, master brake cylinder leak repair, brake pads and have had strange electrical problems. All right at 36,000 miles (avr 12K a year) when warranty expires!

1999 Grand Caravan Sport
By John Walker on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Initially we loved this vehicle. It performed well and was an excellent family hauler and trust me, we have a clan to move! Over the past year we have experienced several problems including the drive belt tensioner, having to replace the front brakes twice in 13,000 miles, needing new front brake rotors, exhaust sensor replacement and speedometer sensor replacement. A little too much to swallow in such a short period of time. Our perception is that the vehicle is falling apart after just a few years of use. We are ready to jump ship and move to a new, different brand vehicle.

Fun to drive - when working
By pfeiffer on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Love to drive this van, especially on long trips. Can get 24mpg at 70mph. Unfortunately the van is in the shop alot, and I may trade it. Biggest problem has been the master brake cylinder. Have had 4 in 36K miles. The dash dials have stopped cold on numerous occasions, and one time some swith broke and the van was stuck in 2nd. Have my own coffee mug at the dealer.

Sue's review of Dodge van
By ljohns on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

AC problems...replaced with non Dodge Condenser coils, etc...Works perfectly now. All else with van is great.