1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Electrical / Head Gasket
By BeeTeeFarm on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

18 months old and would start and not run. After several days, dealer found short near top of engine. Dealer very good about not charging us a lot. At 5 years and 62000 miles, the head gaskets started leaking coolant into the cylinders. Dealer estimate for repairs exceeds $1000. Engine should last longer than that.

Mechanical issues
By stras on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Overall very sturdy and comfortable, with a smooth ride, but significant mechanical issues: Engine head blew at 34,000 miles. Partial transmission failuire at 47k. Speed sensor failure at 54k. Tensioner pulley locked up, and water pump failed (bearing). High-speed side of radiator fan unit locked-up, resulting in overheat condition, resulting in oil boiling and sludging the engine. Electronic window motor locked-up. Temperature readout of trip computer stopped functioning. All of this and more just four years after buying it off of the showroom floor. Repairs after the limited warranty expired have been costly.

Baby Hauler
By Muthu Periakaruppan on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

This is by far the perfect vehicle for our family. (Three kids under 6) With relatives we often haul 7-8 people around. It is smooth and quiet. However we seem to constantly have small things going wrong, 4 brake jobs at 50k, tensioner&serpentine belt, rear calipers and now no heat (we live in arctic Minnesota). Has anyone else had problems with the thermostat or radiator?

99 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN
By DLandry on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I used to really like this van until the problems started shortly after the warranty period....A/C repair (1,400),transmission sensor(140), back door latch(150),fan belt tensioner (130). It seems like after the warranty period is up the vehicle starts to fall apart. Poor quality typical of most American products. It will definitely be my last Dodge/Chrysler purchase and probably my last American vehicle purchase...EVER!

DODGE SPORT GRAND CARAVAN
By AVANBUFF on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

GREAT TO DRIVE ON TRIPS DEALER SERVICE UNACCEPTABLE. BRAKE PROBLEMS, ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITHIN TWO YEARS OTHER WISE REALLY LIKE THIS MININVAN

Very pleased
By stephen douglass on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

One of the best vehicles (all makes and models) I have owned. Very stylish, comfortable, reliable and cost efficient. A pleasure to take long trips for my wife and I. Sooo much room!!! My wife recently drove alone from Houston to SC.... non-stop!!! Gas mileage is 24-26 with 3.3L. Looked at the new models, but I can't justify getting rid of this gem!!!

Regrets and Concerns
By MDShea on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Purchased the van used with 54,000 documented well cared for and maintained miles. Transmission was replaced at 44,000 miles - I thought ok, I have a van with the bugs worked out. Within two weeks it cost me $900 for a computer and auto stick handle! This van scares the bucks out of my wallet. Now I have a metalic sound when the van idles that concerns me. Beautiful van FOR SALE!

3.8L Grand Caravan
By tschuman on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

The van has been a good driving vehicle and handles much like a car. Earlier Dodge vans we drove had squishy brakes but this year's model was improved and brakes well. The infinity sound system sounds muddy, not high fidelity. Our major complaint has been major mehanical quality, in our case at 55000 mi, requiring a new engine despite proper engine care. This alone might not be a concern except for other nagging problems: transmission control module, engine ducting, engine mount problems, water pump, idler pulley replacement. Mileage has averaged 23 Hwy, 18-19 Cty

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
By TOI on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 4dr Minivan

This is a wonderful vehicle my child thinks it rides like a rental car and all my children have long legs and love the fact that there is so much leg room and are very impressed by the feel and the ride of the car. We do alot running around and it is so nice to feel so comfortable in our new 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan.

99 Grand Caravan serves our family well
By Bill and Jane on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

1999 Grand Caravan SE with captain seats is perfect for our 4 children ranging from kindergarten to high school age. We like the overhead console with compass. 3.3 liter is right amount of power. Maintenance is reasonable. Follow manufacturer's schedule and the transmission will work great.