1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
10th Year... still running
By Michael on 11/24/08 09:23 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Decent vehicle. I've had same problems as others: Speed sensor ($150), drive belt & tensioner ($400), new cooler lines ($500), leaking master brake cylinder & brake work ($600), side window motor ($200). At 5 years the transmission started "lunging" between 1st & 2nd gear. I've heard many people needing new trannys at this point. I've gotten another 5 years by easing (not pushing) the car between those two gears. Still working. I'm hoping to get another 2-3 years out of it.

This van stood up to a lot of abuse
By Jane on 08/26/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

So, the junkyard comes to pick up my Grand Caravan tomorrow, and I'm very sad to see it go. I bought it with 30k miles on in 3 years ago, and it now has 190k on it. It has been my band's tour van and the main vehicle for my cleaning company. As well as heavy daily driving. it's gone across the country 6 times (plus a tour of Mexico) loaded with about 1600 lbs of band equipment. It also survived getting stolen by some teenagers. It showed wear with age, but it was amazingly reliable and had a very low cost of ownership especially for the way I treated it!

This vehicle should have been recalled!
By Eddie Clark on 04/23/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Where do I begin? This van has been a nightmare to own. It should have been deemed to be lemon status and Dodge should have given us our money back or corrected many, many flaws with this model. The serpentine belt has come off at least 10 times, with the tension idler replaced half of those times. Also, the ignition locked up twice with over $700.00 in repairs each time. Having this van towed was an eye opener when the towing guys were aware of our problems based on the number of these that they tow. Adding insult to injury was the way Dodge treated me over the phone - never acknowledging the problems although the internet is full of these problems... look it up and learn from my mistake.

Never buy a dodge
By Dodge..NEVER on 04/14/08 18:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan AWD

Horrible....horrible ....horrible. Bought the van used in 2002. Has 3.3ltr, engine was just replaced when I bought it, had to replace it a year later at $1500.00. That was the "deal" I got. Now, engine gone again!! Contacted Dodge and they said basically...too bad too sad. Will NEVER buy from the company again.

Grand Caravan
By R Aukstuolis on 04/11/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Generally this has been a very good people hauler. Problems encountered in 9 years were: transmission sensors, when brakes needed new pads also had to replace front rotors. Rust is an issue. Passenger door, rear wheel wells and body attachment points for front suspension towers were rusted. I thought they built this with galvanized steel?

Very reliable car
By chuckdi on 03/10/08 16:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

The only problem I had was the air conditioning. Went out at about 150000 miles. However, I never had any other mechanical problems. It has 232,000 miles and is still going strong.

Utility out the wazoo
By Bill S. on 02/17/06 10:33 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This van does everything we need it to do. Haul kids, groceries, vacation, camping gear, plus dozens of other things. When we bought it my wife and I said we would probably never be without one again. I still stand by that statement. The comfort and utility of this vehicle is unmatched by even the most expensive autos on the market. And it's MADE IN AMERICA! Isn't that a refreshing idea!

Great Reliable Vehicle
By LUVSit on 11/21/05 16:25 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van about 3 years ago. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle with about 45,000 miles on it. I must say it has been a great family hauler. It is very comfortable, and reliable. I never had to use the pre-owned warranty which took it to 80,000 miles. I currently have 102,000 troublefree miles on it. Chrysler/Dodge really is number one in mini-vans. I have only had to replace oil, battery and tires. I have the 3.8 litre engine which is quite powerful.

Best vehicle we've ever had
By John on 11/17/05 13:44 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Sorry to read that some others don't share my opinion. We bought this Grand Caravan from a rental car company in May of 2000. It had 47,000 miles on it when we got it. It now has over 131,000, and has been nearly troublefree. From memory, the things we've had to fix: two speed sensors, one window regulator. Everything else has been normal wear and tear. I've kept up with the factory maintenance schedule, and have changed the oil every 3K-4K miles. Just a week and a half ago we did a 900-mile round trip to attend an out-of-state wedding. We've also made many trips to Florida, most recently this past summer. It's been a great van.

What a toilet
By Dave on 10/25/05 02:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

100000 miles and many of them to and from the shop. Fuel pump failure, belt tensioner failure, starter failure, brake jobs every 15K; its one thing after another. Interior is nice, comfortable, but the wind noise necessitates cranking the volume to hear the music. Brakes are terrible, feels like the car isn't going to stop, and handles like a truck. Has a lot of room for hauling, and when you step on it, it has power (3.8L eng).Wife likes it though the mechanical failures have put us in the market for a new van--NOT a Caravan. Anybody want to buy a Sport model Caravan?