1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Good and bad
By Stefan on 01/12/10 08:06 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

The good, it's roomy, works great as a truck with both bench seats removed, can haul 4x8 sheet rock, good on long trips. Now the bad, it's American made, which means, it's poorly made. It's garage parked, yet there is rust, even under the hood where the struts mount. After 3 years and 30,000 miles, needed a new transmission(expensive, and a notorious problem with Dodge) Replaced starter, heater core, window regulator/motor twice, also very expensive. Replaced power steering pump because IT RUSTED OUT! Basically it's a hit or miss with these Caravans, more misses than hits, so be very cautious when buying used even with low miles, Dodge dealers will not cover you.

10th Year... still running
By Michael on 11/24/08 09:23 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Decent vehicle. I've had same problems as others: Speed sensor ($150), drive belt & tensioner ($400), new cooler lines ($500), leaking master brake cylinder & brake work ($600), side window motor ($200). At 5 years the transmission started "lunging" between 1st & 2nd gear. I've heard many people needing new trannys at this point. I've gotten another 5 years by easing (not pushing) the car between those two gears. Still working. I'm hoping to get another 2-3 years out of it.

Great Reliable Vehicle
By LUVSit on 11/21/05 16:25 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van about 3 years ago. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle with about 45,000 miles on it. I must say it has been a great family hauler. It is very comfortable, and reliable. I never had to use the pre-owned warranty which took it to 80,000 miles. I currently have 102,000 troublefree miles on it. Chrysler/Dodge really is number one in mini-vans. I have only had to replace oil, battery and tires. I have the 3.8 litre engine which is quite powerful.

This was the best minivan in the 90's?
By CWD on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

This minivan was advertised and reviewed as the best minivan of the 90's. Thank goodness the 90's are over. This van has been unreliable. We were a block from home heading to the airport and both the input and output transmission sensors gave out. This was at 4:00 a.m. and we had to catch a plane at 6:00 a.m. We have had to replace all four power window motors, and we have had to replace the driver's window motor 3 times and it just went bad again. This vehicle is totally unreliable, and it is a shame, as the concept is quite good. Unfortunately, the reality is, this vehicle sucks!

DODGE SPORT GRAND CARAVAN
By AVANBUFF on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

GREAT TO DRIVE ON TRIPS DEALER SERVICE UNACCEPTABLE. BRAKE PROBLEMS, ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITHIN TWO YEARS OTHER WISE REALLY LIKE THIS MININVAN

1999 Grand Caravan Sport
By John Walker on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Initially we loved this vehicle. It performed well and was an excellent family hauler and trust me, we have a clan to move! Over the past year we have experienced several problems including the drive belt tensioner, having to replace the front brakes twice in 13,000 miles, needing new front brake rotors, exhaust sensor replacement and speedometer sensor replacement. A little too much to swallow in such a short period of time. Our perception is that the vehicle is falling apart after just a few years of use. We are ready to jump ship and move to a new, different brand vehicle.