1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great affordable vehicle
By charles on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This was my third Caravan and was the best and most reliable. Change the oil regularly and tires when appropriate. I enjoy the vision and the height of the seats. It is not a luxury automobile but quite functional. Many long trips went by quickly.

Very good vehicle
By charhart on 02/15/10 01:12 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Have to say this van has been VERY reliable. Has 225,000 miles and only minor problems. Replaced alternator about a year ago. Recently the cooling fans went out causing the radiator to crack. Replaced the radiator, still haven't found out whats wrong with the fans. Gas mileage got bad about a year ago. Wierd story. Used to go from east georgia to north alabama on 3/4 tank of gas. It got great gas mileage. Took it to get a routine oil change one day and when I picked it up I had to put gas in it 3 times to make it to florida. Ever since then its had the worst gas mileage. Weird? Yes. Other than that I've had no problems with it. Very roomy, comfortable, drives great.

prarie schooner
By whoa there on 07/29/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

van has been real good ,and real bad. tranny serviced as required,but popped at 113000 miles $2000 to fix. shocks&struts at 96000 miles.brakes at 70000 miles. no other problems at 125k.the van has been reliable and worryfree the rest of the time. i had bought an 05 gc to takeover for this one,kept this to run around town. no complaints. many comfortable road trips.

Long term Grand Caravan Sport
By Caravan on 01/23/09 18:52 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Owned the car for 10 years now. Got us through 2 kids, friends, 20 Nascar events to Texas Motor Speedway. Car has been garage kept for 10 years, spent its whole life shuttling kids in a 10 mile radius. Just now starting to have oil leaks. Belt tensioner was fixed 2 years ago (loud-but did not effect performance or reliability) and is starting to make noise again. We have the sport, it's comfortable as far as vans go. Went through 3 sets of tires in 10 years. Ignition cylinder locked out 2 times in 10 years, both times had to be dragged out of garage. Overall, a good local kid hauler for 10 years. Time for a sportier Volvo next week! Goodbye minivan!

Very satisfied overall
By BNSF616 on 01/20/09 20:31 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought used from a friend (off lease) with 36K mi. Owned for almost 7 yrs. Other than expected and reasonable maintenance/replacement items (brakes, batteries, tires, belts, tune-up) had no major mechanical or electrical problems, and it never left us stranded. Finally traded off at 135K mi, but only because we were getting a little nervous about frequent road-trips to remote rural areas for family obligations.

This van stood up to a lot of abuse
By Jane on 08/26/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

So, the junkyard comes to pick up my Grand Caravan tomorrow, and I'm very sad to see it go. I bought it with 30k miles on in 3 years ago, and it now has 190k on it. It has been my band's tour van and the main vehicle for my cleaning company. As well as heavy daily driving. it's gone across the country 6 times (plus a tour of Mexico) loaded with about 1600 lbs of band equipment. It also survived getting stolen by some teenagers. It showed wear with age, but it was amazingly reliable and had a very low cost of ownership especially for the way I treated it!

This vehicle should have been recalled!
By Eddie Clark on 04/23/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Where do I begin? This van has been a nightmare to own. It should have been deemed to be lemon status and Dodge should have given us our money back or corrected many, many flaws with this model. The serpentine belt has come off at least 10 times, with the tension idler replaced half of those times. Also, the ignition locked up twice with over $700.00 in repairs each time. Having this van towed was an eye opener when the towing guys were aware of our problems based on the number of these that they tow. Adding insult to injury was the way Dodge treated me over the phone - never acknowledging the problems although the internet is full of these problems... look it up and learn from my mistake.

Grand Caravan
By R Aukstuolis on 04/11/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Generally this has been a very good people hauler. Problems encountered in 9 years were: transmission sensors, when brakes needed new pads also had to replace front rotors. Rust is an issue. Passenger door, rear wheel wells and body attachment points for front suspension towers were rusted. I thought they built this with galvanized steel?

Utility out the wazoo
By Bill S. on 02/17/06 10:33 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This van does everything we need it to do. Haul kids, groceries, vacation, camping gear, plus dozens of other things. When we bought it my wife and I said we would probably never be without one again. I still stand by that statement. The comfort and utility of this vehicle is unmatched by even the most expensive autos on the market. And it's MADE IN AMERICA! Isn't that a refreshing idea!

Best vehicle we've ever had
By John on 11/17/05 13:44 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Sorry to read that some others don't share my opinion. We bought this Grand Caravan from a rental car company in May of 2000. It had 47,000 miles on it when we got it. It now has over 131,000, and has been nearly troublefree. From memory, the things we've had to fix: two speed sensors, one window regulator. Everything else has been normal wear and tear. I've kept up with the factory maintenance schedule, and have changed the oil every 3K-4K miles. Just a week and a half ago we did a 900-mile round trip to attend an out-of-state wedding. We've also made many trips to Florida, most recently this past summer. It's been a great van.