Used 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Reliable
By Flor

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

I bought mine used with already 150,00 miles on it for $750, the interior was not in excellent condition but drives good and the sound of the motor was great with good acceleration. Took it home and later it wouldn't crank, my husband jumped it and put a new
battery, that was almost 6 years ago, in that we had water pump replace around $200, radiator $300 cuz I run a board on a high way at night no way to avoid it and it slapped my radiator, radiator fan went out med summer day on our trip to South Georgia back to South MO thank the Lord it didn't bust out radiator, I have a good honest new Mechanic replace the fan relay really cheap, the heat/ac fan went out, it would have cost me $300+ if I had took it to my old croaked Mechanic but I order the fan including the motor for $47 from rock auto and installed it myself, that was four years ago. If I have to get another van it would be another dodge minivan preferably between 1999 to 2005, im still driving this van with 265,000 miles, I would never suggest to buy a used Honda van. It makes me puke to think my bad experience with honda.

Great affordable vehicle
By charles

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This was my third Caravan and was the best and most reliable. Change the oil regularly and tires when appropriate. I enjoy the vision and the height of the seats. It is not a luxury automobile but quite functional. Many long trips went by quickly.

Affordability. Reliability. Vision. AC worked fine and still does. Comfortable and practical.

Improved gas mileage might be nice. In some ways, it is a cheaply made vehicle (seats, interior, etc.) but you get what you pay for.

Very good vehicle
By charhart

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Have to say this van has been VERY reliable. Has 225,000 miles and only minor problems. Replaced alternator about a year ago. Recently the cooling fans went out causing the radiator to crack. Replaced the radiator, still haven't found out whats wrong with the fans. Gas mileage got bad about a year ago. Wierd story. Used to go from east georgia to north alabama on 3/4 tank of gas. It got great gas mileage. Took it to get a routine oil change one day and when I picked it up I had to put gas in it 3 times to make it to florida. Ever since then its had the worst gas mileage. Weird? Yes. Other than that I've had no problems with it. Very roomy, comfortable, drives great.

Very roomy, removable seats, rear a/c, reliability, drives smooth, all the features

Can't think of any

Good and bad
By Stefan

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

The good, it's roomy, works great as a truck with both bench seats removed, can haul 4x8 sheet rock, good on long trips. Now the bad, it's American made, which means, it's poorly made. It's garage parked, yet there is rust, even under the hood where the struts mount. After 3 years and 30,000 miles, needed a new transmission(expensive, and a notorious problem with Dodge) Replaced starter, heater core, window regulator/motor twice, also very expensive. Replaced power steering pump because IT RUSTED OUT! Basically it's a hit or miss with these Caravans, more misses than hits, so be very cautious when buying used even with low miles, Dodge dealers will not cover you.

It's roomy with large cargo capacity, and rides good, as long as your suspension mounts aren't rusted out.

prarie schooner
By whoa there

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

van has been real good ,and real bad. tranny serviced as required,but popped at 113000 miles $2000 to fix. shocks&struts at 96000 miles.brakes at 70000 miles. no other problems at 125k.the van has been reliable and worryfree the rest of the time. i had bought an 05 gc to takeover for this one,kept this to run around town. no complaints. many comfortable road trips.

child seats, rear ac, sunscreen glass,and comfortable ride.carrys ALOT of stuff,wife packs like we are in 1850`s lewis&clarke.

TRANSMISSION!!!???serviced according to manufacturers specs and still goes out. make them bulletproof.