1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great Long Term Value
By Doug_H on 05/29/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Purchased used w/17K miles in 2000. Has been a great long term value. Minimal cost to own. ES model has everything available at the time. 3.8 ltr has plenty of power @ 180hp. Hauls 7 comfortably. Great on long trips. Live in TX, van has been to CA and back and Orlando, FL and back plus many trips to surrounding states. Avgs 23 mpg city/hwy. Gotten 29 mpg on hwy, avg 25. As of 5/09, have 229K. Rebuilt Trans. at 190K. New Cat. Converter at 185K. No other major mechanical issues, just stuff that wears out-alternator, water pump, pulleys misc sensors and switches, etc. Would buy again but wife wants something different after 10 yrs. 1999 ES model still best looking w/17in. wheels.

Very reliable car
By chuckdi on 03/10/08 16:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

The only problem I had was the air conditioning. Went out at about 150000 miles. However, I never had any other mechanical problems. It has 232,000 miles and is still going strong.

Very pleased
By stephen douglass on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

One of the best vehicles (all makes and models) I have owned. Very stylish, comfortable, reliable and cost efficient. A pleasure to take long trips for my wife and I. Sooo much room!!! My wife recently drove alone from Houston to SC.... non-stop!!! Gas mileage is 24-26 with 3.3L. Looked at the new models, but I can't justify getting rid of this gem!!!

Regrets and Concerns
By MDShea on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Purchased the van used with 54,000 documented well cared for and maintained miles. Transmission was replaced at 44,000 miles - I thought ok, I have a van with the bugs worked out. Within two weeks it cost me $900 for a computer and auto stick handle! This van scares the bucks out of my wallet. Now I have a metalic sound when the van idles that concerns me. Beautiful van FOR SALE!

Good Looks, Bad Problems
By Chris B on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I bought the van because I like the looks, but it didn't take long to find out that I bought a piece of junk. I have talked to other owners of this van and they all have the same problems. Here is a list of my problems: 1. I have had three sensors go out at $125 ea. (Car will not shift gears when the sensor goes out) 2.The driver’s side brake caliper has been replaced 2 times and still doesn't work right. 3. Most of all, even though I had the transmission serviced every 35000 miles, It still cost me $2000 to replace it before the van hit 100,000 miles. On top of everythings else, these vans have such lousy resale values I can't even get rid of it.

Sportiest when it comes to minivans
By Chris M. on 03/10/02 12:36 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

These vans are pretty cool when it comes to a minivan. I like it alot and there's plenty of room.

Bills worst nightmare
By Bill K. on 02/28/02 21:48 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

The mechanical aspects of this van is terrible.