Used 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Good and bad
By Stefan

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

The good, it's roomy, works great as a truck with both bench seats removed, can haul 4x8 sheet rock, good on long trips. Now the bad, it's American made, which means, it's poorly made. It's garage parked, yet there is rust, even under the hood where the struts mount. After 3 years and 30,000 miles, needed a new transmission(expensive, and a notorious problem with Dodge) Replaced starter, heater core, window regulator/motor twice, also very expensive. Replaced power steering pump because IT RUSTED OUT! Basically it's a hit or miss with these Caravans, more misses than hits, so be very cautious when buying used even with low miles, Dodge dealers will not cover you.

It's roomy with large cargo capacity, and rides good, as long as your suspension mounts aren't rusted out.

10th Year... still running
By Michael

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Decent vehicle. I've had same problems as others: Speed sensor ($150), drive belt & tensioner ($400), new cooler lines ($500), leaking master brake cylinder & brake work ($600), side window motor ($200). At 5 years the transmission started "lunging" between 1st & 2nd gear. I've heard many people needing new trannys at this point. I've gotten another 5 years by easing (not pushing) the car between those two gears. Still working. I'm hoping to get another 2-3 years out of it.

Seat removal. I've moved ourselves and friends 20 times. Great for furniture and construction supplies. A 4'x8' sheet of plywood or drywall fits flat in the back with seats removed. Makes it almost better than most trucks with smaller beds.

Interior power outlet for iPod & phone charger separated and dropped inside the car cavity. Annoying. I couldn't fix it. Also, the lock actuator failed and the vehicle has a "machine gun-like cadence" when it locks and unlocks.

Great Reliable Vehicle
By LUVSit

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van about 3 years ago. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle with about 45,000 miles on it. I must say it has been a great family hauler. It is very comfortable, and reliable. I never had to use the pre-owned warranty which took it to 80,000 miles. I currently have 102,000 troublefree miles on it. Chrysler/Dodge really is number one in mini-vans. I have only had to replace oil, battery and tires. I have the 3.8 litre engine which is quite powerful.

3.8 litre engine. Infiniti sound system is SUPER, better than lexus. Comfortable seating, quad captain chairs. Front / rear air.

Better fuel economy. Audio steering wheel controls would be nice on all models.

This was the best minivan in the 90's?
By CWD

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This minivan was advertised and reviewed as the best minivan of the 90's. Thank goodness the 90's are over. This van has been unreliable. We were a block from home heading to the airport and both the input and output transmission sensors gave out. This was at 4:00 a.m. and we had to catch a plane at 6:00 a.m. We have had to replace all four power window motors, and we have had to replace the driver's window motor 3 times and it just went bad again. This vehicle is totally unreliable, and it is a shame, as the concept is quite good. Unfortunately, the reality is, this vehicle sucks!

The fact that it is paid off and on the short list of vehicles we own to be sold or traded. Our 1997 Dodge Neon has been more reliable than this POC. That isn't saying much.

Improved quality control and parts. If you have poor parts, then quality control suffers. It doesn't matter if it looks pretty on the outside, if it is ugly underneath. You definitely lost a customer here!

DODGE SPORT GRAND CARAVAN
By AVANBUFF

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

GREAT TO DRIVE ON TRIPS DEALER SERVICE UNACCEPTABLE. BRAKE PROBLEMS, ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITHIN TWO YEARS OTHER WISE REALLY LIKE THIS MININVAN

HANDLING , QUAILTY OF RIDE, VIEW