1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Review: 173,000 miles and counting!

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Review

Base Passenger Minivan (3.0L V6 3-speed Automatic)

173,000 miles and counting!
By amy47 on

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan 4dr Minivan

I love this van. No major problems other than replacing a few water pumps and the starter once and the A/C; otherwise, just routine maintenance. I have had absolutely no reliability problems until I hit 170,000 miles. Now I have occasional electrical problems that won't allow the car to start about once a month. So far the mechanic can't find the problem, but we're working on it. I want to see how far she goes! She may not be the flashiest or the most powerful minivan out there, but she has my admiration for her longevity and relatively problem-free service.

The short wheel base is the perfect size for my family of four. We always have ample room on long family trips. It's much easier to maneuver and park and I still have room for almost all my cargo hauling by removing the seats. The beige/gold exterior hides dirt so well, I rarely have to wash it. The beige cloth/vinyl interior looks clean and in brand new condition after 14 years. What can I say, it's perfect!

Bring back the short wheel base, please, and the gold interior! I'm stuck with choosing between a 2006-07 Town & Country Base, or a 2007-10 Kia Sedona Base as my next car. I'd like to have more options!