1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Review: Belt problems

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Review

Belt problems
By hahaharry on

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

5 year owner with 81,000 miles. You're lucky to get 30k on the brakes. I've had 4 serpentine and 3 ac belts replaced along with 3 belt tensioners ($220 job). Belt problems every 12 months. The battery goes about a year and a half. I worried about the amount of tranny problems others have had so I made sure I got the dealer to service it ($80)at every 30k and it seems fine. It has started to consume about a qt of oil every 4000 miles. The paint was wearing off in locations that the sliding door rubber stopper would hit when opened. Rust on the sliding door track from the door bearing. The headlight lens has a cloudy film on the outside.

I liked the room of the Grand model and the seats were comfortable. It drove and rode like a car. Dayton Andrews dealership had great service.

Make it more reliable. Make bench seats lighter. Design the engine compartment better so the spark plugs are easy to replace. Make the bearing on the sliding door from a non rusting component. Higher quality paint, one that does not chip. Better door gaskets.