Used 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great Family Vehicle
By KEEBCPA on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

The Dodge Grand Caravan Sport is attractive, very comfortable, functional, and the 3.8 V6 is very powerful. The handling is great for a van. The quality has been good and our dealer has been excellent with any little problems.

American Cars - Do They Compare Yet?
By dirk pitt on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We had owned a couple of older cars for a number of years and we decided we needed the room of a minivan, so we bought our Grand Caravan with 52,000 miles on it. While we have not had any mechanical problems with it so far, it is so difficult to perform preventative maintenance on it except oil changes. I do my own work, but I could not change all of the spark plugs, belts, fuel filter, etc. Its fuel economy was disappointing, and its build quality is not as good as my Toyota Corolla that is eight years older and has four times as many miles on it (235,000).

I love this van
By BigCheeseDad on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

This van has all the handling characteristics of a sedan but with a hugh interior. I love this van and always will. It has decent power but the most important feature is the way it handles on the highway. Don't get me wrong, in very high winds, you're going to get pushed but NOTHING like the Windstar. I recently drove a brand new Windstar and I was all over the highway. It's handling was much poorer than my Dodge. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Piece of Junk
By Mad Caravan Owner on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Best day of owning this will be the day it's sold. Nothing but heartache. Needed a new engine at 38,000. The tensioner caused the serpentine belt to fall off quarterly. Paid the dealer several times to repair the serp belt, only to have another mechanic tell me there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) addressing a faulty tensioner. The A/C leaked causing a musty smell. The brakes have always squeaked, even when new. The removable seats are very heavy. I received a major run around from the dealer when there was I had problems with the TCM (Transaxle Control Module), also part of a TSB. Save your money!

Another bad tranny...
By ckwalker on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Stupid me I ignored the warnings about the history of bad transmissions in Crysler minivans. I figured surely they would have fixed this problem by the time I had bought my 98 Grand Caravan. Fat chance. I'm currently looking to dump this vehicle with only 68K miles...shopping for a Honda. Never a Crysler product again.

Caravan ES Good So Far
By embien on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I have had very good luck with this vehicle so far. I would buy another.

Dodge Caravan Sport
By Stephen Johnson on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

I have driven this van on vacations and hauled lumber. With the tow pacage it works as good as a truck. The 6 cylinder uses gas. about $30 a week. I bought another toyata car to drive casue it was too expensive to drive in the city. I still have the van. It sure last any value quick.

Piece of Junk
By nick7 on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We have 114000 miles in our 98 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. First of all the 3.0 V6 is very slow. When I drive it, I have trouble keeping up with the flow of traffic. Around the 110000 mile mark we started having all these problems. First of all, we noticed that there's a putt-putt sound when you first start accelerating (acceleration hesitates) after you start the van up. The 4 speed auto shifts were taking forever. We were up at 4000 rpm's hitting the gas normally before it shifted. Then the brakes started sweaking. We got some of these problems fixed at the dealer but the putt-putt and longer shifting(slightly improved)were still there.

Electrical, transmission problems
By tcandre on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I guess it has generally been a decent car, no super performance, no great acceleration or handling, but it does the job. Some reliability problems; see suggestions for improvement.

More than Satisfied
By Detroit iron on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

First piece of Detroit Iron i've owned (owned Audis (4) Volvo (3) Mazda (2) and VW (5). Grand Caravan LE Oustanding in most respects. Virtually problem free. Tires @45,000 miles, battery @ 3 1/2 years, and none other but routine maintenance. Am so satisfied that am looking at 2003 Town and Country FWD. Read other owner comments but have not had any of their problems.