1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Never Again
By carnegiemom on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Dodge has replaced the main computer module three times and now it is the wiring harness. We have never had mechanical problems; all electrical. It just dies on the road with no warning. Not reliable for a soccer mom!

We are so glad we did it!
By minivanfamnow on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I love this van... i can't believe i am saying that! I really do! I am glad we got an older model that was LOADED! Runs like a dream...the transmission was smoother than our Nissan. I know that a lot of people have "bad luck" with the caravan, but just take care of it and it will take care of you :)

Bad Transmission
By Darrell Young on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

Its a sad that dodge cant seem to fix the transmission problems in there vans.When it hit 79000 miles the transmission went out, water pump, brake booster and master cyinder. Its a good thing that I purchase the extended warranty . I also would like to warn everyone that this year of van does not have a, Brake Shift Interlock this means that anyone can pull it into gear when the motor is running with out pushing on the Brake.Very,Very dangerous.

never again
By hgmuc on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

This is the second dodge i've owned and i should have learned the first time. THANK GOD i got the warranty when i bought this car used - I've had to replace the transmision at 70,000 and have most of the valve gaskets replaced in the engine - there is still oil leaking into the air filter I think the fuel injectors are crapping out now as well-

Seems to be a very good min- van
By Darrell Young on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I have never own anything from Dodge. This is a frist time .I hope its better than the Ford windstar I had,it was also a 98, it stayed in the shop more then we drove it.

Put me off american cars for good
By bartlawrence on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The worst car I have bought in my life.I will never buy another Chrystler product again.

Midwest Family Van
By Midwest Family Van on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought new. Haven taken several cross country family vacations. It has been very reliable, never broken down. Change oil myself every 5000 miles. Only rountine maintenance needed; tires, replaced battery at 5 years - typical life of a battery, front brakes at 87,000. We would definitly buy a another Caravan, but we do not want to get rid of this one.

uuummm ok
By xcitemint on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Has not broken down yet. Do have a leaky rear seal and a leaky head gasket. Serpintine belt always needs replaced. Brakes are below average at best. There are worse cars out there, but if a friend asked me about it I wouldn't recommend it.

High Mileage Winner
By Happy Vanner on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 1998 Sport brand new. I have followed the recommended maintenance per the manual except oil changes every 5,000 miles instead of 7,500. At 225,000 miles, I can't even think of selling this vehicle. It has been 100% reliable. No engine work. No tranny work. A few belts/tensioners, a crossover pipe. Oh yeah, I pull a 2000# camper, no problem.

Has been Great
By cobalt on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Have had van for 5 years and 107000 miles, to only things that I have done is reg maint. One battery and 2 sets of brakes, 2nd set at 100000 miles. I can fit the whole house in to this van when I go on vacation and still have room for the fam. and still get good MPG, around 20. I did'nt buy it for its looks or performance. I bought it for the basic use of a van.