Used 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

173,000 miles and counting!
By amy47

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

I love this van. No major problems other than replacing a few water pumps and the starter once and the A/C; otherwise, just routine maintenance. I have had absolutely no reliability problems until I hit 170,000 miles. Now I have occasional electrical problems that won't allow the car to start about once a month. So far the mechanic can't find the problem, but we're working on it. I want to see how far she goes! She may not be the flashiest or the most powerful minivan out there, but she has my admiration for her longevity and relatively problem-free service.

The short wheel base is the perfect size for my family of four. We always have ample room on long family trips. It's much easier to maneuver and park and I still have room for almost all my cargo hauling by removing the seats. The beige/gold exterior hides dirt so well, I rarely have to wash it. The beige cloth/vinyl interior looks clean and in brand new condition after 14 years. What can I say, it's perfect!

Bring back the short wheel base, please, and the gold interior! I'm stuck with choosing between a 2006-07 Town & Country Base, or a 2007-10 Kia Sedona Base as my next car. I'd like to have more options!

Not the Most Reliable Van
By Matt

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

We bought the van with 96K and so far had a few major things that needed fixing. The transmission went on it twice while the computer needed replacing and the rain gutters in front of the passenger compartment got clogged and flooded the interior. The passenger side power window still doesnt work. As far as a daily driver it's one of the best minivans as far as the interior goes. There are lots of cupholders and storage compartments and theres plenty of room for all. The Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 is smooth and is not bad on gas. It also has adequate acceleration as long as you dont have alot of people or cargo. The transmission is a crummy 3-speed that isnt a good aide for highway mileage.

Lots of room. Tons of cup holders and storage space. Decently smooth and economical V6. Dual sliding doors. Chrysler makes one of the best stock sound systems. Ours is the Dolby AM/FM/Cassette with 6 speakers.

More reliable transmission. There also shouldn't be a 3-speed in this new of a car. The rear defroster should also come standard. Better engineering when it comes to getting rid of rain water. Seats that fold flat.

Forget Dodge
By ctogie

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

This was the very first Dodge I have owned. I thought the Van would be a good choice for my family, boy was I wrong. Nothing but Problems, the transmission out at 24k and then 90k. The air conditioner out at 55k and electrical problems at 45k. The valves made a bad clicking nosie since first week. The service dept says it would go away, never did. after out of warranty they watned to fix it for 3k. I told them where to go. Never,Never,Never again will I buy a dodge, don't you either.

Seating, comfort and removable thrid row seat

Improve the engine and reliability or the transmission

What a piece of junk!!!
By Unhappy owner

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

My model is the Sport. In the 4 yrs that I've had this vehicle, I've had to replace the brakes (at 25,000 mi), replace battery TWO times, replace defective (Michelin)(tires caused steering wheel to shake & vibrate)-I was told by dealer there was a recall and to take them to a Michelin dealer who told me that they'd replace the tires but I had to pay a good amount for the replacement tires, van has developed oil leak that will cost $1,000 to repair, transmission needed repairing-- these are only a few of the problems I've had with it -- NEVER AGAIN!!!! No more Chrysler products for me.