1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Should have bought the big warranty!
By TimfromCA on 08/23/09 03:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Loved the new van at first - until the first transmission went (at only 50k miles). The replacement trans was bad before it even left service! Had probs with sqeaky seats, noisy struts, computer went out at 110k - and the brakes... Brakes don't have nearly enough stopping pwr due (I guess) to poor design. Went thru at least 7 pad changes and 3 sets of rotors in 135k. Lastly, the paint clear coat started disintegrating last year - apparently I wasn't the only one to experience this, just take a close look at the late 90's Green models and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

DODGE TRANSMISSIONS ARE THE WORST
By SteveRT on 08/08/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I have place 2 transmissions into this van, These transmissions have a design flaw that allows an internal pin break free. When it does it will bust right through the housing and then you can't even rebuild it. Chrysler knows about this. There is a repair kit that Chrysler offers that will hold that pin in place on a rebuild. I didn't find out about it until I put the third transmission in. has worked great ever since and I gave this van to my father in law to drive over a year ago. Picked up a 96 for the wife to drive . Transmission went in it too. Don't waste your time on Chrysler. this is why their new cars offer a lifetime warranty on drivetrain.

Good Quality
By valkerie55 on 06/20/09 10:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Purchased Caravan used with 48,000 miles in 2003. Traded vehicled in 2008 with 135,000 miles for a Chrysler T&C Touring. Best vehicle we had for the long traveling for the past 5 years. All I had to do was change the oil, 2 brake changes, 4 new tires (1x) and routine maintenance. Good power, transported 4-6 people for soccer games, basketball, New York, New England area and Florida. It was the best workhorse. Hopefully, Fiat will revive Chrysler products for the future.

So far, So good!
By KeKe on 08/26/07 07:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

We are at 108,000 miles and the van is still running well. Oil change every 3,000 miles and routine maintenance at the dealer every 30,000 miles. It has never left me stranded. There have been a few problems, but they were corrected at the dealer and there were no return trips for the same problem. I feel that all of the problems, except one, were just normal wear and tear items. We have been very happy with this van and a Dodge Grand Caravan will definitely be on the list when it is time for a replacement!

Like it, but...
By TxUser on 03/19/05 15:34 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

For the most part I've been very happy with this vehicle, I like the basic design it has a lot of room compared with other minivans, comfy, and handles well. Few mechanical problems except the belt tensioner went out once and the mirror folding detents all sprung. A/C condenser and evaporator coil need replacement now after 70K miles. Odd electrical intermittent bits including: fuel guage, ABS light, front door key lock, delay wipers. Too many!

Never Again
By carnegiemom on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Dodge has replaced the main computer module three times and now it is the wiring harness. We have never had mechanical problems; all electrical. It just dies on the road with no warning. Not reliable for a soccer mom!

Electrical, transmission problems
By tcandre on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I guess it has generally been a decent car, no super performance, no great acceleration or handling, but it does the job. Some reliability problems; see suggestions for improvement.

More than Satisfied
By Detroit iron on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

First piece of Detroit Iron i've owned (owned Audis (4) Volvo (3) Mazda (2) and VW (5). Grand Caravan LE Oustanding in most respects. Virtually problem free. Tires @45,000 miles, battery @ 3 1/2 years, and none other but routine maintenance. Am so satisfied that am looking at 2003 Town and Country FWD. Read other owner comments but have not had any of their problems.

It's been an o.k. van
By goose on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

We have put almost 98,000 miles. No major problems, transmission makes some noise when shifting. The electronics are unreliable - Dealer had to recalibrate a/c twice when battery was replaced. I am on the 3rd battery. Brakes need replacing every 30k miles. Tires only last 30k and few options when replacing. Engine is very sluggish when ambient tempature is higher than 95F. Doors automatically lock at 15mph, this could be a safety concern if a quick exit is needed in an accident.

Which I hadn't bought
By quick6 on 03/04/02 09:16 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Breaks down way too ofter, and I'm a mechanic, so I take good care of my vehicles.