Used 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan LE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Should have bought the big warranty!
By TimfromCA

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Loved the new van at first - until the first transmission went (at only 50k miles). The replacement trans was bad before it even left service! Had probs with sqeaky seats, noisy struts, computer went out at 110k - and the brakes... Brakes don't have nearly enough stopping pwr due (I guess) to poor design. Went thru at least 7 pad changes and 3 sets of rotors in 135k. Lastly, the paint clear coat started disintegrating last year - apparently I wasn't the only one to experience this, just take a close look at the late 90's Green models and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

Favorite Features

Hmmm... In retrospect, I'd have to say I loved the whole van - until things started breaking.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge finally retired that trans design with the '08 model. Need better brake design and fix the paint problem. This is a good 50,000 mile vehicle, but only the first 50.

DODGE TRANSMISSIONS ARE THE WORST
By SteveRT

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I have place 2 transmissions into this van, These transmissions have a design flaw that allows an internal pin break free. When it does it will bust right through the housing and then you can't even rebuild it. Chrysler knows about this. There is a repair kit that Chrysler offers that will hold that pin in place on a rebuild. I didn't find out about it until I put the third transmission in. has worked great ever since and I gave this van to my father in law to drive over a year ago. Picked up a 96 for the wife to drive . Transmission went in it too. Don't waste your time on Chrysler. this is why their new cars offer a lifetime warranty on drivetrain.

Favorite Features

comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Make a transmission right!

Good Quality
By valkerie55

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Purchased Caravan used with 48,000 miles in 2003. Traded vehicled in 2008 with 135,000 miles for a Chrysler T&C Touring. Best vehicle we had for the long traveling for the past 5 years. All I had to do was change the oil, 2 brake changes, 4 new tires (1x) and routine maintenance. Good power, transported 4-6 people for soccer games, basketball, New York, New England area and Florida. It was the best workhorse. Hopefully, Fiat will revive Chrysler products for the future.

Favorite Features

Reliable transmission, AC, adequate room, gas mileage, gargo space and decent stereo.

So far, So good!
By KeKe

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

We are at 108,000 miles and the van is still running well. Oil change every 3,000 miles and routine maintenance at the dealer every 30,000 miles. It has never left me stranded. There have been a few problems, but they were corrected at the dealer and there were no return trips for the same problem. I feel that all of the problems, except one, were just normal wear and tear items. We have been very happy with this van and a Dodge Grand Caravan will definitely be on the list when it is time for a replacement!

Favorite Features

Dual sliding doors and dual climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the rear door opened higher, less road noise, and better fuel economy.

Like it, but...
By TxUser

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

For the most part I've been very happy with this vehicle, I like the basic design it has a lot of room compared with other minivans, comfy, and handles well. Few mechanical problems except the belt tensioner went out once and the mirror folding detents all sprung. A/C condenser and evaporator coil need replacement now after 70K miles. Odd electrical intermittent bits including: fuel guage, ABS light, front door key lock, delay wipers. Too many!

Favorite Features

Looks good, roomy, handles nice, and is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical reliability. Mechanical reliability - keep hearing about AC/Belts/Transmissions, I've had two of them already...