Used 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

best van dodge
By jasonw120

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

this is my 2nd van 1st was a 1997 voyager mini van, the thing was awsum , i bought it for 100 bucks 140 k miles on it knew trany owner told me tranny was bad replaced it 160k miles had to replace motor ran like a tank in snow, durung pa,s snowmagaden storm in 2009 i damn near used as a snowpow i couldent get stuck if i tryed, i volunteer for fire dept and red cross and took 7 people to shelter during heat of storm with 2 feet of snow on groundm, did not have any problems at all, finly a 1998 dodge grand sport with 180k on it fell in to my lap, it was a fleet leased and company mantined van it is great looken no rust still looks new man dose it got balls to for a van, great van love it

cd,tape player sounds great has base to, lost of room for hulling runs great in snow

better interior to plane and better pin striping try sun roof would be nice

Love it , But eh....
By Daniel_Lee

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

well I love This van I have had multiple cravans, But this is my first ES with the 3.8 and damn this thing hauls balls it has the tow package 17 in wheels tan leather and auto headlamps, remote start(aftermarket) This van is amazing for all the family. kids love it I Love driving it personally My wife doesn't like how I drive but what can I say It corners well never got stuck love the traction control , not a fan of it locking when keys are in ignition locks when you shut any slider or passenger door its weird but oh well just make sure I have the keys on me ^_^ been problem free routine maintenance one new transmission because the other was faulty

traction control, 3.8 litre engine ,leather, gas mileage is eh.... 17-18mpg 27 on the hwy !

just because the van has the tow package doesnt mean it has to tow like a truck ride could be cushier but all in all good van make it smoother and the wipers are funky and my black van looks blue now ?

We are so glad we did it!
By minivanfamnow

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I love this van... i can't believe i am saying that! I really do! I am glad we got an older model that was LOADED! Runs like a dream...the transmission was smoother than our Nissan. I know that a lot of people have "bad luck" with the caravan, but just take care of it and it will take care of you :)

I love the leather seats...no worries about spills from the kiddies. I also love the infinity sound system.

better fuel economy is always great.

never again
By hgmuc

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

This is the second dodge i've owned and i should have learned the first time. THANK GOD i got the warranty when i bought this car used - I've had to replace the transmision at 70,000 and have most of the valve gaskets replaced in the engine - there is still oil leaking into the air filter I think the fuel injectors are crapping out now as well-

that odd burning smell from the exhaust the nice bright 'CHECK ENGINE LIGHT' that constantly illuminates the dashboard,that clicking sound that comes from the engine,keeps time with System of a Down and TOOL (yes I check the oil level religiously.. cause it burns most of it somehow)

flaming in a ditch on RT 87 - half buried at a 45 degree in Death Valley.

No problems, I like it
By midcapwarrior

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

Have it for 4 years. Bought it used. It was a exec special so the mileage was a little high but it was loaded. No problems other than normal maintenance. I have two kids so the captains chairs are great for getting in and out. Only negative is the weight of the chairs. Not the easiest to remove/replace. Fuel mileage could be better.

Captains chairs