Used 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great van
By Not my first rodeo

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought it new in '98, it now has 179k on it with only the normal maintenance. The local Grease Monkey franchise flushed the transmission at 120k and cracked the lines which blew out all the fluid while on a trip to Nashville. Time for a new tranny at my expense as they accepted no blame even though they admitted they'd cracked the lines. Go figure that one. Only complaint is the headlights don't put out a lot of light, otherwise everything has worked since day one. I'd recommend the Caravan to anyone.

Favorite Features

Dual A/C controls and rear-heating.

Suggested Improvements

Improved headlights.

My covered wagon
By Jay

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Even though I had to replace the transmission at about 117K miles, I've not regretted buying this vehicle at all. It is my pick-up truck with a permanent cover on the back. I can put 10 ft. boards in here and close the back door. Same thing is true with 8x4 plywood which lays flat. The back seats are very rarely in the vehicle as I use it as a truck most of the time. WARNING!! That intermittent dashboard (gauges, ligt, etc.) is NOT a computer problem. The solder connections on the back of the instruments panel are what's causing the problem. I re-soldered mine at about 108K and they have been solid ever since. I love my van/truck/covered wagon!!

Favorite Features

Cargo room with seats out!!

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully, later models had better trannies.

98 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Sport
By Indiana Bob

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought in Sept of '99 after birth of twins, with 22k on it. Now it has 120k. Trans went out at 36K and 38K (covered under waranty). Went through instrument panel controllor and 2 engine computers (@$400 and $600); which is very unusal (I am spoiled by having driven Subaru for 30 years with excelent reliability). Have replaced muffer and starter which is normal; heater hoses went out last week ($600). Build quality is and interior materials less than asian cars. Will most likely not buy Dodge again.

Favorite Features

Very good ride, plenty of room, excelent sound system (Infinity with 11 speakers); very good in rain and snow, Front and Rear AC/Heat very good.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, better interior materials. Mileage on road is 22- 24MPG, could be better (have 3.3L with 4 speed auto)

My best minivan
By Charlie

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I buy this minivan 4 years ago, I do a lot of things in there; I use it like a cargo van-I put in there 12 people and 15 backpaks-, for traveling, a few off road sessions, it's so roomy, I love all that space. Yes I had some problems, but it was my fault, so I don't think that it was a bad car.

Favorite Features

Rear air, interior and exterior design, space-dual sliding doors, good handles.

Suggested Improvements

bigger wheels, I want bigger oem rims, like 18 in.

Maintenance is critical
By Chazman

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Drives great and has great versatility for hauling the whole family around. Gas mileage is decent and has good power. 116K miles so far. Changed front strut towers (squeeking and thumping), front engine bearing seal (oil leak). Still have the original transmission (knock on wood). I'm careful about maintenance and it seems to have paid off so far. We just took a five thousand mile, three week road trip to the Grand Canyon and the car performed fabulously. Current problem is the dashboard indications go dead intermittently. Car still runs fine, but no speed indication, tachometer, etc. My mechanic says it's the "body module computer" and it's likely going to cost $700 to replace it

Favorite Features

Driveability. Interior utility and space. Removable seats allow me to haul a full sheet of plywood in the back. I like the look (for a mini van).

Suggested Improvements

Use higher quality materials in the interior and for body trim pieces. Headlights are pathetic. Install driving lights to supplement. Make those removable seats lighter! They are killer to remove by yourself.