1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great van
By Not my first rodeo on 02/06/10 20:32 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought it new in '98, it now has 179k on it with only the normal maintenance. The local Grease Monkey franchise flushed the transmission at 120k and cracked the lines which blew out all the fluid while on a trip to Nashville. Time for a new tranny at my expense as they accepted no blame even though they admitted they'd cracked the lines. Go figure that one. Only complaint is the headlights don't put out a lot of light, otherwise everything has worked since day one. I'd recommend the Caravan to anyone.

My covered wagon
By Jay on 12/14/09 10:35 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Even though I had to replace the transmission at about 117K miles, I've not regretted buying this vehicle at all. It is my pick-up truck with a permanent cover on the back. I can put 10 ft. boards in here and close the back door. Same thing is true with 8x4 plywood which lays flat. The back seats are very rarely in the vehicle as I use it as a truck most of the time. WARNING!! That intermittent dashboard (gauges, ligt, etc.) is NOT a computer problem. The solder connections on the back of the instruments panel are what's causing the problem. I re-soldered mine at about 108K and they have been solid ever since. I love my van/truck/covered wagon!!

98 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Sport
By Indiana Bob on 11/21/09 18:27 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought in Sept of '99 after birth of twins, with 22k on it. Now it has 120k. Trans went out at 36K and 38K (covered under waranty). Went through instrument panel controllor and 2 engine computers (@$400 and $600); which is very unusal (I am spoiled by having driven Subaru for 30 years with excelent reliability). Have replaced muffer and starter which is normal; heater hoses went out last week ($600). Build quality is and interior materials less than asian cars. Will most likely not buy Dodge again.

My best minivan
By Charlie on 05/16/09 22:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I buy this minivan 4 years ago, I do a lot of things in there; I use it like a cargo van-I put in there 12 people and 15 backpaks-, for traveling, a few off road sessions, it's so roomy, I love all that space. Yes I had some problems, but it was my fault, so I don't think that it was a bad car.

Maintenance is critical
By Chazman on 03/05/08 21:42 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Drives great and has great versatility for hauling the whole family around. Gas mileage is decent and has good power. 116K miles so far. Changed front strut towers (squeeking and thumping), front engine bearing seal (oil leak). Still have the original transmission (knock on wood). I'm careful about maintenance and it seems to have paid off so far. We just took a five thousand mile, three week road trip to the Grand Canyon and the car performed fabulously. Current problem is the dashboard indications go dead intermittently. Car still runs fine, but no speed indication, tachometer, etc. My mechanic says it's the "body module computer" and it's likely going to cost $700 to replace it

Belt chewer
By Mr.Griz on 02/09/07 20:05 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Nice minivan, we purchased used making us 2nd owners, can't complain as far as comfort, cargo capacity and fuel economy. We averaged 19 mpg city and 25 highway. The biggest gripe we have is the fact that for some reason Dodge's serpentine belt pulley design is flawed and chews up belts. I'll say this though, I was warned but decided to take a chance on Dodge but after having replaced belts 3 times in 9 months we're trading her in.

Old faithful
By shipo on 01/08/07 08:07 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We've had this van since new and have performed just the basic maintenance on it. So far, other than the tranny that died at 109K miles, the van has cost us less than $300 in unscheduled maintenance. Performance wise, the van has the 3.8 liter mill, and it has more than enough power for accelerating up freeway ramps, even with steep inclines, and for passing on 2-lane roads. Our van has the optional "Sport Suspension" which makes it a pleasure to drive on the narrow & winding 2-lane roads in our area, much more so than all other vans of similar vintage. The only weakness per-se in the van is the undersized brake rotors which have a tendency to warp. Drilled rotors solved that problem.

I love my minivan
By Stephiekygirl on 08/24/06 14:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I thought that I was just buying a van because we were having another baby and needed one. We have 5 kids and can't fit them all in a car or SUV. Little did I know that I would love this van. I cannot imagine driving anything else. There is room for everyone and room for groceries or book bags and anything else we need.

Dodge Grand Caravan
By mary on 07/15/06 07:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Currently have more than 176,000 miles on it, same muffler. Just had to have some big repairs, but not until 1 year ago. Ride could be a little smoother. Looking forward to hitting 200,00 miles on it. Will probably end up being my daughter's first car and I will hopefully add another new one this year. I drive this vehicle everywhere, and drive daily, just starting to get a little rust. I truly love this vehicle.

Bad Apple
By Daniel Ryan on 08/22/05 12:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Purchased the Grand Caravan in 1998. Liked the way it looked and there were not many alternatives like today. Over the years, had numerous problems with the vehicle. Most annoying was the vehicle would shred the belts about every 12 months. Dealers would say they fixed the problem. About 12 months later, the belts would shred again. Too many other problems to list. Finally, after deciding the transmission was about to go and having the belts shred for the third time in three years, traded for a Toyota. This was my second Dodge product. I should have learned from my experience with the first (Intrepid). I will not be fooled again. I will never, ever purchase a Dodge again.